Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

First of all I would like to say that I have over a half century experience with dentists due to a car accident in my misspent youth that claimed a number of my teeth. Recently after reading nothing but positive posts here regarding Dr. Candy I went there and decided to have replacements of both upper and lower partials. I can only say that in all my years this was the most professional  dental experience and the partials were of the highest quality that I have ever obtained, all at a fraction of the prices that I had paid El Norte.

As far as the poster that had the extensive report on his/her not good experience with what sounds like an ongoing dental problem, it sounds like there might have been extenuating circumstances there as well. Not knowing all the details I cannot comment more except to say that this is the first real negative report on Dr. Candy's work itself that I have heard of or seen on this board.

Now getting to "the brother". He never claims that he is other than a dental student, but is a dental hygienist, technician or whatever you want to call someone who is trained to clean teeth and does minor denture repairs in the lab. Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality.

Let me conclude by saying that I am happy, happy, happy with my experience with all the folks at Dr. Candy's office including Cristina, the receptionist up front. I wish Dr. Candy and her 3rd. generation dentist baby all the best. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I lived in the U.S. I did not receive (or even expect) a teeth cleaning from a dentist. However,  in the 10 years I have lived here I have never before experienced or heard of a hygienist (or tec

OK this is getting too rough and personal.  Gringohombre's advice is good: Closed.

Another plug for Dr. Barragan and his staff. Although he is not my "regular" dentist, I had had a horrible experience (pain) with a previous root canal. My regular dentist is fantastic, but she doesn'

10 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I have got  out of the recommendation business.

 It seems every place or person I recommend to friends feel  differently!!!

Hahaha, L7, can I relate to that! Back when we were in the BnB business many a guest would ask for advice on every topic under the sun. We were careful to phrase things "Well the way we did it was........" That didn't stop the responses of "well. I read on the internet", "Well Judy King said....." she was a  friend of ours, she said those same people challenged her also). So yeah, you can't win giving folks advice, even when you just relate how you personally did something. I'm surprised anyone even asks nowadays, they all know everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to go to Dr. Barragan - he is a very good dentist, and I believe a specialist of some type. It can take weeks to get an appointment (unless you had an emergency) so he will probably shuffle you off to another dentist in the same office.

Dr. Candy's father is retired, or semi retired, I think he makes all the crowns and plates. A labor of love, by a real dentist, not a lab tech.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the recommendation for Dr. Eloy Barragán at Chapala Dental, Bugambillas #39, on the lateral, to the right before the entrance gate to Mirasol, on the south side of the carretera.  There is parking and a sign in front.

He speaks perfect English and was our dentist for a decade.  Wish we were there now, as we have not found anyone as good in either Tucson or Nogales.

Some years ago, we had friends who desperately needed dental work, but both had a terrible fear of dentists. We finally convinced them to see Dr. Barragán. They did, and they returned multiple times for badly needed attention.....totally painless.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, J.Miller said:

Who and where is Dr. Barragan?  Also, can anyone recommend someone experienced and English speaking in the area?  We are willing to spend more to make sure that the work is as painless as possible and that the work is done properly the first time.  PM me if you would rather not make a public announcement!

 

Dr. Eloy Barragan is an excellent dentist who speaks English and any work I've had done there has been painless.  His office is located at Bugambilias #39  Mirasol on the lateral road turn right.   The sign says, Chapala Dental Care, telephone 376-765-5584 or 766-3847.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Irish Gal said:

Dr. Eloy Barragan is an excellent dentist who speaks English and any work I've had done there has been painless.  His office is located at Bugambilias #39  Mirasol on the lateral road turn right.   The sign says, Chapala Dental Care, telephone 376-765-5584 or 766-3847.     

Another plug for Dr. Barragan and his staff. Although he is not my "regular" dentist, I had had a horrible experience (pain) with a previous root canal. My regular dentist is fantastic, but she doesn't do oral surgery -- and that's when I had the awful experience with someone who came in from Guad. The next time I needed a crown, there was no way I was going to use that guy. I made an appointment with Dr. Barragan and had the root canal done by his recommended specialist. I was scared spitless because the doctor looked about 20. He was absolutely fantastic and the first dentist I've ever had who used a numbing agent for the numbing shot! He was so thorough that I felt almost nothing at all when he did give me the shot. While this wasn't Dr. Barragan's work, it was his recommended specialist, plus he and the staff just impressed the heck out of me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, gringohombre said:

 

Now getting to "the brother". He never claims.... Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door.

Gringohombre, I’m glad that you had a good experience with Dra. Candy. She gets mostly good reviews. BUT, to call others who have expectations about cleaning by their dentist IN Mexico ‘out of touch with reality’ might be the pot calling the kettle black. In the US, your observations are right on... I have not had a dentist there clean my teeth in many a year... always done by the hygienist. BUT in Mexico for the last 10 years it is the dentist who has done my cleaning (to my amazement!) and my dentists over the years here have been the ones that most folks recommend, including Dr. Barragan and his Dra. partner and the Dr at Dental Express. 

So I was definitely not expecting Dra. Candy’s brother to be the one cleaning my teeth when I went in. AND, the cleaning that I got was substantially sub-par compared to hygienist in the US and the Dr an Dra I have used Lakeside. Substantially. And the cost exceeded the last cleaning that I got at Dental Express, which was very good.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RickS said:

Gringohombre, I’m glad that you had a good experience with Dra. Candy. She gets mostly good reviews. BUT, to call others who have expectations about cleaning by their dentist IN Mexico ‘out of touch with reality’ might be the pot calling the kettle black. In the US, your observations are right on... I have not had a dentist there clean my teeth in many a year... always done by the hygienist. BUT in Mexico for the last 10 years it is the dentist who has done my cleaning (to my amazement!) and my dentists over the years here have been the ones that most folks recommend, including Dr. Barragan and his Dra. partner and the Dr at Dental Express. 

So I was definitely not expecting Dra. Candy’s brother to be the one cleaning my teeth when I went in. AND, the cleaning that I got was substantially sub-par compared to hygienist in the US and the Dr an Dra I have used Lakeside. Substantially. And the cost exceeded the last cleaning that I got at Dental Express, which was very good.

 

I still stand by the part of my post concerning teeth cleaning.... Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality.

And I would apply this to México as well. I suggest that if you want the dentist to clean your teeth, including Dr. Candy, you should ask and clarify this first before booking an appointment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

" those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality." (Gringohombre)

Plant your feet as firmly as you like on your opinion, but in fact, I've had dentists "whose name is on the door" clean my teeth both in the States and here.  As recently as a year ago, Dr. Barragan did so, as well as each time I went there for the last 9 or 10 years.   Your experience is....your experience, and that's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2018 at 12:40 PM, gringohombre said:

I thought that this was supposed to be what this board was all about. Am I missing something here?

"No good deed goes unpunished." If you recommend anyone for any job, be prepared to suffer the backlash of unsatisfied recommendees. Plumbers, electricians, doctors... it doesn't matter. One mistake, and who typically gets the blame? I also refuse to casually recommend anyone anymore. Another axiom: never sell your used car to a friend.

In pappy's case, he owned a B&B, so he got WAY more than the average number of requests for recommendations. A friend is in real estate, and newcomers are just loaded with questions from this excellent resource... and frequently enough it comes back to bite. "But you said..." "But he didn't turn up..." "But I wanted this, not that..."

Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience, in Mexico, twice a year for the last 21 years, has always been with the Dentist cleaning my teeth. They have NEVER been cleaned by a dental hygienist here. In Canada, it was different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The point being missed, is that “the brother“ is a medical student with only the classroom training completed, and no practical experience in dentistry, not even cleaning, at the university level, and no certification at all.  So, it is not surprising that folks found his cleaning attempts to be somewhat superficial, leaving them disappointed in the service and the very fact that “the sister“ permitted it to be done and took payment for it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

They have NEVER been cleaned by a dental hygienist here.

 

There is a valid reason for that, they do not exist here. Go to Dental Express and a technician will clean your teeth for 190P, but only to the gums. Scaling below the margins is not done by them. Cleaning here seems to mean, "make them pretty" Sometimes the technician will not even do the backsides of your teeth. If you want to avoid periodontal disease, your teeth should be "cleaned" below the gumline.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2018 at 12:32 PM, pappysmarket said:

Hahaha, L7, can I relate to that! Back when we were in the BnB business many a guest would ask for advice on every topic under the sun. We were careful to phrase things "Well the way we did it was........" That didn't stop the responses of "well. I read on the internet", "Well Judy King said....." she was a  friend of ours, she said those same people challenged her also). So yeah, you can't win giving folks advice, even when you just relate how you personally did something. I'm surprised anyone even asks nowadays, they all know everything.

Thanks to you, pappysmarket and your referral almost 13 years ago when we stayed at your BnB, we have the same person cleaning our home!   Very happy with your recommendation!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people get so bent out of shape here. Please read carefully what I have said:

Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality.

Do not blame the dentist if you get a technician, hygienist or whatever you want to call them if you do not ask specifically for the dentist to do the job. The Standard Operational Procedure both here and NOB is as stated. And why question Dr. Candy's brother;s credentials when I am sure you do not know what you are talking about?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Some people get so bent out of shape here. Please read carefully what I have said:

Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality.

Do not blame the dentist if you get a technician, hygienist or whatever you want to call them if you do not ask specifically for the dentist to do the job. The Standard Operational Procedure both here and NOB is as stated. And why question Dr. Candy's brother;s credentials when I am sure you do not know what you are talking about?

I generally try to stay out of these board feuds but feel compelled to comment on this one. Dra. Candy has been my dentist for six years and has done an implant s well as veneers on my wife's teeth and the work has always been outstanding. Also, She also ALWAYS did the cleaning.

I went to her office a short time go and discovered with no prior warning that it would be her brother that would do my cleaning. I had no problem with that because in the U.S.it was always the hygienist that did the cleaning.

Well, the entire process lasted less that fifteen minutes and I felt that my teeth were not properly cleaned. I personally do not feel her brother has been properly trained and I will not go back. I also doubt that I will go back to Dra. Candy when she is off leave.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Some people get so bent out of shape here. Please read carefully what I have said:

Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality.

Do not blame the dentist if you get a technician, hygienist or whatever you want to call them if you do not ask specifically for the dentist to do the job. The Standard Operational Procedure both here and NOB is as stated. And why question Dr. Candy's brother;s credentials when I am sure you do not know what you are talking about?

 I think it was the suggestion that those who have had different experiences than yours are "out of touch with reality"...and then, you go on about the "real world", etc.  When anyone takes that tone, it's not going to go over very well.

We are ALL living in the "real world" since there is no other, si?

 


 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Irish Gal said:

Thanks to you, pappysmarket and your referral almost 13 years ago when we stayed at your BnB, we have the same person cleaning our home!   Very happy with your recommendation!  

Is Rosario still doing well? Or did we hook you up with someone else? In any case, glad to hear whoever it is is still keeping you happy!

Saludos

pappy

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...