Chapala.com Webboard

Dental Health One: Dr Candy's brother

suep

9 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Some people get so bent out of shape here. Please read carefully what I have said:

Those who complain that Dr. Candy was not the one who did their teeth cleaning simply are out of touch with reality. Again after all these years in the "real world" I have never had my teeth cleaned by the dentist whose name is on the door. Now, I am not saying that this is always the case, but as others on this thread have said this is a virtual reality.

Do not blame the dentist if you get a technician, hygienist or whatever you want to call them if you do not ask specifically for the dentist to do the job. The Standard Operational Procedure both here and NOB is as stated. And why question Dr. Candy's brother;s credentials when I am sure you do not know what you are talking about?

His credentials are that he is a dental student. I have no idea how dental students are supervised with procedures. Perhaps a word to Dra. Candy would help. Unless someone ...tactfully ....says something, she will never know. And he will never improve. Because dentists routinely clean teeth here, it is surprising when the dentist doesn't do them. I cannot remember ever having to ask for the dentist to do them.   I asked a dentist here why they do the cleaning and not a technician or hygienist and was told because there are too many dentists.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I lived in the U.S. I did not receive (or even expect) a teeth cleaning from a dentist. However,  in the 10 years I have lived here I have never before experienced or heard of a hygienist (or technician) cleaning teeth and the patient not even seeing the dentist at the appointment. Thanks to Dr. Candy cramming more patients into her day by having her brother practice on them while he is still attending dental school more dentists may give up cleaning their patients teeth. But up until now that has not been the standard of practice here. I assure you I am very much in touch with reality.

On 05/03/2018 at 5:03 PM, pappysmarket said:

Is Rosario still doing well? Or did we hook you up with someone else? In any case, glad to hear whoever it is is still keeping you happy!

Saludos

pappy

Not Rosario.  It was someone else.   Thanks again!

Just to put a final point on this. Yesterday I stopped by Dr. Candy's office to see how she is doing and also to take care of a final adjustment to my new partials. First and more importantly, both she and hew new baby girl are doing well. The brother Juan, took care of me in his usual professional way and I mentioned the "discussions" here. First, he emphasized that neither he nor his sister have ever indicated that he is a Dentist, only that he he is a dental student. Second, he proudly showed me that he is a Certified Dental Technician with the paperwork to prove it. He is more than qualified to do teeth cleaning and minor lab work which he did for me yesterday. Next I would ask for some here to get off their "high horse", thinking that they know all the answers to everything. It is a fact, as others have also pointed out here, that in México as well as the U.S., it is not standard for the Dentist to do the teeth cleaning. EACH DENTAL OFFICE HAS THEIR OWN  POLICY AND IT IS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO ASK AND CHOOSE WHO THEY WANT TO CLEAN THEIR TEETH. I hope that we can now put this to rest.

Reminds me of the commercial on TV where the bank is being robbed and all the customers on the floor are looking at the bank guard and want to know why he isn't doing anything, he then states that he is only a "security monitor"...sounds similar to a "Certified Dental Technician"...No way he should touch a patient other than to welcome them...

On March 5, 2018 at 3:02 PM, RVGRINGO said:

The point being missed, is that “the brother“ is a medical student with only the classroom training completed, and no practical experience in dentistry, not even cleaning, at the university level, and no certification at all.  So, it is not surprising that folks found his cleaning attempts to be somewhat superficial, leaving them disappointed in the service and the very fact that “the sister“ permitted it to be done and took payment for it.

Why do you post on something you know nothing about.. ?  Have you ever been to see Dr Candy or her brother.. ?   You don't even live here ....

Dr Candy's brother has a certificate stating that he is a Certified Dental Technician. 

So are you trying to tell us you know something we don't... Can you tell us how you know that he is only a student Dental Technician and not a Certfied Dental Technician...?

OK this is getting too rough and personal.  Gringohombre's advice is good:

Next I would ask for some here to get off their "high horse", thinking that they know all the answers to everything. It is a fact, as others have also pointed out here, that in México as well as the U.S., it is not standard for the Dentist to do the teeth cleaning. EACH DENTAL OFFICE HAS THEIR OWN  POLICY AND IT IS UP TO THE CUSTOMER TO ASK AND CHOOSE WHO THEY WANT TO CLEAN THEIR TEETH. I hope that we can now put this to rest.

Closed.

Archived