Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing border,,,,so funny,,,anyone have input?

sputnik

So funny, every 3-4 months  for the past 3 years we have had to return to the U.S. to care for mother.  So weve  crossed about 15 times.  Before we had our permanent of course we did it differently but when we learned that with our Permanent visa we MUST go into the  INM before crossing and have them sign the paperwork being careful to write PERMANENT on the paperwork, then when return to Mexico to return that paperwork or  we could LOOSE Permanent status.

Well, we had to go in December in an emergency rush as mother in law needed us.  Got in long line in car to cross at Reynosa on a friday night,,,,yuk...and thought oh well we just wont do it right this time.  Family health was too important.  So when we returned back to mexico we went into INM and explained that we didnt do the proper paperwork, apologized and asked if they could show in the computer that we had returned to Mexico and would we loose our permanent status?

The guy in charge said "the only way you can loose your permanent status is if you commit a terrible crime"  and "you dont have to stop each time and do paperwork.  The green Permanent card allows you to move back and forth across the border freely".  So, we did ask him to stamp our passports to show we had returned which he did.

So.......does anyone have any input on this?  Or is it just  like in the U.S. govt employees dont communicate with each other and no one really knows what the rules are?

Ditto.  We only have to show our passport to re-enter the USA.  We have never shown anything entering or leaving Mexico, since becomingt Residente Permanente, and nobody has ever asked.  Now, we only cross on foot for dental visits with just a “buenos dias“.  However, we would be subject to having to show our card at interior checkpoints, if asked.  If flying internationally, it would be different, as both the airlines and the customs & immigration folks would want to confirm our status..

The airport INM office seems to care about visa holders coming and going.  The border folks couldn't care less.  I just skip that part, the long lines and the crapola that some INM agents give you and go directly to the border to check in to the US with my passport.

2 hours ago, Yo1 said:

The airport INM office seems to care about visa holders coming and going.  The border folks couldn't care less.  I just skip that part, the long lines and the crapola that some INM agents give you and go directly to the border to check in to the US with my passport.

Exactly !

Archived