Chapala.com Webboard

La Pacena Restaurant

egcallis

New Restaurant (opened in December) - Across from Superlake

Hidalgo #158 San Antonio (333) 800 6233

Open Thursday - Tuesday 12:00 to 7:30pm (closing time depends on business)

Mexican/Japanese Fusion

Really good presentation, textures and flavors. We suggest you share different dishes to find out what you like best (we had 8 -10 different tacos with many repeats). Will take pictures of the menu next time we are there.

Food is different and the chef (Jorge) and staff are very accommodating.

La Pacena 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Two times there. Recommended. It is good and different. I had some mess with fresh tuna chopped up, mixed with avocado and a "serranito" sauce (not spicy) that is normally served on Jicama, but they were out of Jicama and asked if watermelon would be okay. "Yes." It was more than okay. It was perfect. That was just a starter, but great hot weather food.

I'm told "La Paceña" means they are from La Paz, BCS. The menu is definitely different - not sure about the "Mexican-Japanese" fusion thing - but I also recommend trying several items to see what you like. Good service, pleasant space, not expensive given quality.

I was, unfortunately, disappointed. Service was fine, but the fish part of my fish 'n chips was mushy inside, the chips were DOA, and the price for the tiny portion was far too high. (Note that these were small pieces (better suited to tacos), such as El Fogon serves, which is copied right from Lake Taco.) Friend had fish tacos and left most of them. Over-priced for what it is, I think.

I've got to agree with ComputerGuy: three of us went last Monday for comida and we were all sorely disappointed; we tried five different choices among us, including the highly-praised tuna taco. Small portions, poorly presented, and the tuna had the white skin on it, rendering it inedible without spitting it out and trimming it with a knife. We didn't. Won't be rushing back.

We went tonight.  High prices, small portions, no ice tea, no Pacifaco.  Both of us came home feeling like we had an appetizer and the bill was $357.00 including tip.  Won't be hurrying back.  However, it floats a lot of boats because the place was packed before we left.

• 2 weeks later...

La Pacena is our new favorite restaurant.  Jorge is the chef has a great sense of humor as well as very inventive creative recipes and presentation.  Something that is not on the menu but we love is ebe nagasaki.  shrimp with some delicious things in a tempura batter with a really FANTASTIC sauce with ginger peanuts and I forget.  But is wonderful.  We also love the shrimp enchiladas and shrimp rockerfeller as well as the ahi Tuna taco with a yummy sauce and sesame and avocado.  They have a peanut creamy salsa which is also great.

Opens at 12 noon and closes at 8 although if he knows you are coming with a party of people, will stay open later.   they commute from Guad which makes a long day.  His wife works with him and they really aim to please.  We eat there at least 3 times a week!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Ian Greenwood....four of us had dinner last night, the fish—.swordfish and roballo were excellent.The salsas and side dishes were also great and the service was attentive....it’s not cheap  but neither is fresh fish .The wine pour was a little light ,but all in all a really enjoyable dinner.  We now may have two Chefs who know how to cook fresh fish !

Archived