Chapala.com Webboard

citizenship question

Fred Habacht

I had that conversation with my brother in law last time I was in France and I did not remember checking out of France.. They do not necessaraly stamp your passport but they run it through their computer  I said I did not check out of France but at the airport I had to check out of the country on my French passport and I cheked into Mexico when I returned.. That is independent from what you do at the desk with the airline.. In France the police checks you out and I would think that Homeland security cheks you out in the States.. You need to chek in an dout of each country on the passport you use to enter or leave.. 

On one of my trips in Europe I cheked in with a French passport and  I had to change plane in Amsterdam. To do so I had to go through the Netherlands immigration and I presented a Mexican passport.. they just about hauled me off because I entered Europe on a French passport and was leaving on a Mexican passport..  You need to enter and leave  each country or  Europe in that case on the same passport.. I then shoed my Mexican passport when I entered Mexico.

The stop over in Amsterdam was not planned and I had shown my passport when I left France - We stopped in Amsterdam on a flight to Mexico so since I had checked out of France I just showed my Mexican passport  as I was on my way to Mexico.. so I was wrong...

I use my Mexican passport leaving Mexico and my US passport entering the US.  If I used the Mexican passport to enter the US I would need a  US Visa to enter.

I do show my US passport at the check in which covers me for not needing a visa to enter the US.

I leave the US on my Mexican passport and enter Mexico with it as well.

You should leave Mexico on your Us passport and enter Mexico on the Mexican passport. If you do what you do in the US in Europe they will jump all over you. You have to enter with the same antionality as the one you enter otherwise you throw all the records out of whack. So much for the grea US security if they let you leave on Passport you did not enter with.

They obviously do not match the records right there and then like the Netherlands do..

1. Quote

If you enter Mexico on the U. S. passport you have to use a line different for expats, plus when you are in Mexico you are Mexican.   Use your Mexican passport entering Mexico. I don't remember any stamps. I only use my U. S. passport when traveling to the U. S.    U. S. leaving Mexico, Mexican entering. Remember forms on the plane are in Spanish for Mexicans but easy to understand.

15 hours ago, barbara habacht said:

My wife is flying from Guadalajara to the USA and then back to Guadalajara:

Does she leave with her Mexican passport or her US passport from Guadalajara?

Does she leave from the USA with her USA passport or her Mexican passport?

Thanks for your responses.

Fred Habacht

Fred on departure she will: 1 check  in at the airline before going thru security.

2 There she will will hand over both passports and the agent will fill out a departure card similar to the one she used to get before citizenship.   Obviously ask for a couple more to facilitate next time.   The agent enters data on the computer to facilitate entry to the EU.   That’s EU passport data.   The card she filled out has Mexican passport data and she staples to the boarding pass.

On return from EU I do the usual precheck and go directly to departure gate.   When boarding I show my Mexican passport.  

The whys and wherefores is not something I care about.   All I want is to check in and get a coffee 

Archived