Chapala.com Webboard

Wooden shims, where to find?

Mainecoons

Well Ned - maybe he doesn't want to buy a whole bunch of woodworking equipment, especially a good quality table saw.

Try the woodworking shop across from Soriana. If he doesn't have any made, try his brother's hardware shop right next door. You might have to find the word for shim, or wedge. I spent 1/2 hour trying to explain how I was looking for metal washers, especially the big one with a small hole (fender washers). Even drew a picture - to scale - more confusion.

The stone and brick masons use a lot of shims too.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Well Ned - maybe he doesn't want to buy a whole bunch of woodworking equipment, especially a good quality table saw.

Try the woodworking shop across from Soriana. If he doesn't have any made, try his brother's hardware shop right next door. You might have to find the word for shim, or wedge. I spent 1/2 hour trying to explain how I was looking for metal washers, especially the big one with a small hole (fender washers). Even drew a picture - to scale - more confusion.

The stone and brick masons use a lot of shims too.

Maybe I'll print out the picture and show it to them.  If the masons are using them they must have a source.  Thanks for the ideas!

Ned you think your friend would sell some?

It may depend on the use of the shims. Cedar shims may be alright for door jams while being very irregular, but the pictured shims are by far a different story used for much more  exacting purposes. For this you would need a good table saw and a operator who KNOWS. Have Hammers and the maestro Lalo can do it here or maybe Home Depot in Guad might have them even tho wood is not a big item in Mexico.  

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Well obviously I don't know the guy being referred to unless he is Ned's alter ego.  :D

Since you are obviously no friend of Ned’s alter ego, no shims for you. The Shim Nazi has very strict rules and they must be obeyed. 

17 hours ago, mudgirl said:

"Wedge" in Spanish is "cuña". However, they may have an entirely different word for wooden shims. "Cunas chicas de madera" would probably get the point across, though.

"Shim" is also cuña.

Archived