Chapala.com Webboard

Questions about electronic toll passes and accounts

Mainecoons

Hoping someone has the answers to these questions:

1.  Where to buy locally?

2.  Cost.

3.  Must have one for each vehicle?  If not, how would it distinguish between a car and a moto?  Toll for motos is half that of cars generally.

4.  When I ride with my son and we come to a toll booth first I pay for him, he passes, then I pay for myself.  Can you do the same thing with one of these toll passes or will I need a separate one for him?

5.  If you don't use an iPhone or similar how do you track your account on line?

6.  Do you put money on the account like you would with a pay as you go phone?  Namely go to Oxxo or 7-11 and they enter the number and what you pay?  This would be a lot more convenient than having to go to a bank.

7.  Can you make a deposit on line using a U.S. credit or debit card or do you have to have Mexican?

Thank you all for the help.

Here's the I+D (IAVE) toll tag link: https://www.idmexico.com.mx. It explains everything you've asked, but I've tried to answer your queries below.

1.  Where to buy locally? You used to be able to get the transponder at Bancomer; now it says 7/11 to get it but Bancomer and Walmart to reload if you want to keep filling it up in cash. The monies on the transponder always have expired after 6 months, but I've kept monies longer than that.

2.  Cost. I had no cost for the transponder; minimum (re)load is $200, max $2000 with a max on the tag of $3000.

3.  Must have one for each vehicle?  If not, how would it distinguish between a car and a moto?  Toll for motos is half that of cars generally. Unlike TX tags, this one used to say you can move from vehicle to vehicle; have not done that nor did I recheck the website to see if it has changed.

4.  When I ride with my son and we come to a toll booth first I pay for him, he passes, then I pay for myself.  Can you do the same thing with one of these toll passes or will I need a separate one for him? I'd guess a separate tag since you'd have to drive thru the toll tag lane, stop (blocking traffic behind you), hand off the tag, then proceed. That defeats the purpose.

5.  If you don't use an iPhone or similar how do you track your account on line? Your account is accessible by computer; by loading the app on your smart phone or by using your cel to message the word  saldo to 33313, followed by a space and your tag number.

6.  Do you put money on the account like you would with a pay as you go phone?  Namely go to Oxxo or 7-11 and they enter the number and what you pay?  This would be a lot more convenient than having to go to a bank. I take my tag in and give the amount I anticipate needing, in case it does zap to $0 at some point. I've never attached a credit card to the account, although that seems easier in some respects. You can also pay thru PayPal, but I've not done that, either. You can recharge at several locations; OXXO used to be one but I don't see it on the current list.

7.  Can you make a deposit on line using a U.S. credit or debit card or do you have to have Mexican? Have no idea; the website names the cards and PayPal but doesn't specify whether it has to be a Mexican account. (The website has a phone number for questions.)

A few other notes based on my experience up to the US: The tolls have blue signage; but, like many things in Mexico, the toll-tag only lanes are not always in the same spot at every toll; some of them tell you the lane numbers only to find those numbers don't exist in that lane (eg. Says lane 10 and lanes are numbered 1-4. The signs are small and not readily visible all the time. I do know that if you have a TX toll tag (NTTA) on your windshield, that frequency is stronger than the I+D/IAVE/CAPUFE tag and you get frequent red lights where the Mexico tag seems to be overridden by the stronger frequency. So, you have to remove your NTTA/TX tag. Unlike NTTA tags in the US/TX, you don't blast thru the toll at highway speed: instead, you must come to a full stop at the toll transponder then do a very slow roll forward till the tollbooth arm rises to let you pass. The toll booth transponder is not always at the same spot: some tolls have an "arm" with the sensor visible on the driver's side; some are before or after the tollbooth employee booth; some are up on the roof above your toll lane. You must wait for their sensor to grab your transponder for it to work. If it doesn't, the error message on the signage doesn't always reflect the problem (which is usually that you moved too quickly through for it to capture your tag.) In those cases, you (and everyone behind you) must back up and either you try again or you move to a cash lane. (There are some--and, gradually more--"Multimodal" lanes which allow cash, credit card, or toll tag access.) Sometimes someone is there to back up the traffic or move a barricade for you to get to another lane; we always keep $10 coins to tip.

As the system expands and local tolls (note the merging of IAVE and I+D and the addition of CAPUVE) transfer onto the system, the process improves. We started this several years ago so we didn't have to take as much cash up and back, but after one prickly trip where only 3 tolls registered, we found we needed to keep the cash available anyway in case the tag didn't work. The last two trips it has worked perfectly. Note also that, unlike NTTA/TX tags, there is no discount for paying via tag. 

1 hour ago, jrod said:

Here's the I+D (IAVE) toll tag link: https://www.idmexico.com.mx. It explains everything you've asked, but I've tried to answer your queries below.

1.  Where to buy locally? You used to be able to get the transponder at Bancomer; now it says 7/11 to get it but Bancomer and Walmart to reload if you want to keep filling it up in cash. The monies on the transponder always have expired after 6 months, but I've kept monies longer than that.

2.  Cost. I had no cost for the transponder; minimum (re)load is $200, max $2000 with a max on the tag of $3000.

3.  Must have one for each vehicle?  If not, how would it distinguish between a car and a moto?  Toll for motos is half that of cars generally. Unlike TX tags, this one used to say you can move from vehicle to vehicle; have not done that nor did I recheck the website to see if it has changed.

4.  When I ride with my son and we come to a toll booth first I pay for him, he passes, then I pay for myself.  Can you do the same thing with one of these toll passes or will I need a separate one for him? I'd guess a separate tag since you'd have to drive thru the toll tag lane, stop (blocking traffic behind you), hand off the tag, then proceed. That defeats the purpose.

5.  If you don't use an iPhone or similar how do you track your account on line? Your account is accessible by computer; by loading the app on your smart phone or by using your cel to message the word  saldo to 33313, followed by a space and your tag number.

6.  Do you put money on the account like you would with a pay as you go phone?  Namely go to Oxxo or 7-11 and they enter the number and what you pay?  This would be a lot more convenient than having to go to a bank. I take my tag in and give the amount I anticipate needing, in case it does zap to $0 at some point. I've never attached a credit card to the account, although that seems easier in some respects. You can also pay thru PayPal, but I've not done that, either. You can recharge at several locations; OXXO used to be one but I don't see it on the current list.

7.  Can you make a deposit on line using a U.S. credit or debit card or do you have to have Mexican? Have no idea; the website names the cards and PayPal but doesn't specify whether it has to be a Mexican account. (The website has a phone number for questions.)

A few other notes based on my experience up to the US: The tolls have blue signage; but, like many things in Mexico, the toll-tag only lanes are not always in the same spot at every toll; some of them tell you the lane numbers only to find those numbers don't exist in that lane (eg. Says lane 10 and lanes are numbered 1-4. The signs are small and not readily visible all the time. I do know that if you have a TX toll tag (NTTA) on your windshield, that frequency is stronger than the I+D/IAVE/CAPUFE tag and you get frequent red lights where the Mexico tag seems to be overridden by the stronger frequency. So, you have to remove your NTTA/TX tag. Unlike NTTA tags in the US/TX, you don't blast thru the toll at highway speed: instead, you must come to a full stop at the toll transponder then do a very slow roll forward till the tollbooth arm rises to let you pass. The toll booth transponder is not always at the same spot: some tolls have an "arm" with the sensor visible on the driver's side; some are before or after the tollbooth employee booth; some are up on the roof above your toll lane. You must wait for their sensor to grab your transponder for it to work. If it doesn't, the error message on the signage doesn't always reflect the problem (which is usually that you moved too quickly through for it to capture your tag.) In those cases, you (and everyone behind you) must back up and either you try again or you move to a cash lane. (There are some--and, gradually more--"Multimodal" lanes which allow cash, credit card, or toll tag access.) Sometimes someone is there to back up the traffic or move a barricade for you to get to another lane; we always keep $10 coins to tip.

As the system expands and local tolls (note the merging of IAVE and I+D and the addition of CAPUVE) transfer onto the system, the process improves. We started this several years ago so we didn't have to take as much cash up and back, but after one prickly trip where only 3 tolls registered, we found we needed to keep the cash available anyway in case the tag didn't work. The last two trips it has worked perfectly. Note also that, unlike NTTA/TX tags, there is no discount for paying via tag. 

Good answers. 

5.  If you don't use an iPhone or similar how do you track your account on line? Your account is accessible by computer; by loading the app on your smart phone or by using your cel to message the word  saldo to 33313 Or use your home computer.

Yes you can unclip the IAVE transp0onder and put it on dash of another vehicle.

As for having a Tex-tag on the windshield it will keep the Mexican reader from finding your Mexican tag. Our solution has been to tape a square of foil over the TexTag chip, Remove the tape and foil in Texas and reinstall it when we get to the border heading south. 

Beats the heck out of fumbling for pesos, especially if you are alone with no navigator.

Both the permanent tag (Calcomanía) and portable (Portátil) cost $100. The only possibility for acquiring one locally is at the 7-11 in Riberas or Chapala. The IDMexico web site lists stores like Office Depot, Sanborns and also lists 7-11. From the main page on the web site you can see the stores. 

Getting one by mail is very difficult or at least they make the process difficult. This is especially true if you want to tie the tag to a credit card. It is possible that should you purchase one at a store the store can activate it. If not it must be done online and can take a week for the bureaucracy to work.

The phone app shows toll history and will pop an alert a few minutes after leaving a toll booth. You can also register online and check history.

You can probably use Google Translate to construct an email with the credit card question or others that are unanswered and send it to cavi@idmexico.com.mx Use the app to translate the response.

• 9 months later...
41 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Tu Tag Pase para pagar cuotas en autopistas

You did ask a clerk for their toll tag; perhaps you should have asked "Tienes una TAG Portátil por el cuotas"  (or something along those lines). As per the website https://www.idmexico.com.mx/idmexico/inicio/index?sectionname=Comofunciona

There are two toll tag systems?  IAVE and the other one, Tu Tag Pase?  It looks like only the latter can be used simply by adding money at Oxxo?  I looked at the IAVE site and it appears to be harder to set up and to put payments in but does not charge for the tag.

BTW I see on Mexico News Daily the toll booths will no longer be accepting credit/debit cards from January 1 because the processing is slowing down traffic at the toll booths too much.

I'm finding this pretty confusing but I'll admit I'm a low tech redneck.  :D

If it's any consolation, one of the clerks at the 711 in Riberas can't even figure out how to pay a Telcel bill. If you want the name of the girl, send me a pm. She said it couldn't be done... yeah, right. I have paid them there before. Went down the street to the OXXO  across the street from the Pemex and got it paid with no problem. Now Oxxo gets all my business.

As a long time user here are my thoughts: Tu tag and IAVE are the same system. In the majority of toll booths all lanes have sensors. (Just look up for a 1 meter square sensor below the roof) The new "portatil" has a far better signal recognition than the sticker. Alway enter the booth slowly and a little behind the car in front, as the sensors are slow. In some booths an operator must press an ok, in others it is automatic. If you pay by card you need a Mexican credit or debit card.  Best option to buy will be in Sanborns in GDL.  Even 7-11 in GDL are clueless. You can only order by mail if you live in DF. 

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

. You can only order by mail if you live in DF. 

The IAVE designation seems to have disappeared. The website is idmexico but the new name is Tu Tag Pase. I have ordered and received 3 tags and one replacement for a non-functional tag here in Ajijic as well as Guayabitos. The website only offers the means for a tag tied to a credit card issued by one of 8 banks. https://www.idmexico.com.mx/idmexico/inicio/RegistroCorp

34 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

The website only offers the means for a tag tied to a credit card issued by one of 8 banks. https://www.idmexico.com.mx/idmexico/inicio/RegistroCorp

Read the other...

Institution issuing your card  Choose                                                   Other...                                                           
Upon domicile of the TAG to a Credit Card of a Financial Institution other than those mentioned, a charge of $ 1,000 will be generated as a guarantee fund for each domiciled TAG.

Lots of good information here, much appreciated.

Clearly the portatil is the one I need.  I'll try 7-11 again.  

I don't want this tied to a credit card, I would like to just buy one somewhere and put cash money on it when I'm going to use it.  Is that still possible?

Archived