Chapala.com Webboard

vehicle legalization

Sammy

On 9/18/2018 at 11:47 AM, Intercasa said:

We are still receiving complaints about people paying to nationalize vehicles and getting fake papers or no papers at all, a "law" firm in Ajijic charging $3,000US and then says sorry we cant do it and not returning money.  

I have an idea who this is, also charges exorbitant amount of money to become citizen

I legalized two British made, US plated classic cars in Laredo through 3 Brothers brokers.. The cost was based on the kelly blue Book value  plus their fees. I then took the cars to Guadalajara DMV where the cars were inspected and I applied for Jalisco title and plates.

There is an exception for classic cars, 30 years or older, the country of manufacture does not matter, and the value is somehow negotiable with customs authorities, you have to proof that you are declaring a fair market value. The only inland ports allowed to import used vehicles are; Ciudad Juárez,.Ciudad Reynosa, Matamoros, Mexicali, Nogales, Nuevo Laredo., Piedras Negras and Tijuana..The only sea port is Veracruz.

For scams and rip offs, you can go to the SAT, Servicio de Administracion Tributaria to file a complaint.

If you have and illegal vehicle in Mexico, you need to get a "Permiso de Retorno Seguro" at the SAT so you can take your vehicle to the U.S. Mexico border and have it nationalized or to sell it in the U.S. 

• 3 weeks later...

As Harry said, “NO”. One can’t sell any foreign plated vehicle, here on a TIP (Temporary Import Permit), in Mexico. Part of what you agreed to when getting the TIP was to not sell it within Mexico and to remove it from Mexico when one’s visa expires. Of course, a Permanente cannot have one here at all. 

So if you want to rid yourself of the vehicle you have ‘only’ the choice of removing it to Canada. One could ‘sell it’ in Mexico to another Canadian who would ‘promise’ to remove it from Mexico and drive to Canada immediately. Under rare cases a US citizen could Import it into the US and sell it there. That process is not guaranteed for all vehicles and is not for the faint of heart. This I know from personal experience. 

1 hour ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

This is a different question, but it does deal with autos....I would like to buy a car in Mexico, (I'm a US citizen on a tourist visa in Mexico) get it registered and plated and insured in Mexico, AND I would like to know what the deal is with driving it to the US..like when I cross the border to the US, and can I drive it legally in the US for up to 6 months before I have to return to Mexico, as I can with my US car in Mexico?    I plan to leave the Mexican plated car in Mexico but I would like to be able to drive it in the USA.  Thanks for any help with this question.

You may be able to purchase a vehicle in Mexico but it CAN NOT be registered in your name unless you have a Temporale or Permanente visa and a CURP number.  The plates generally stay with the vehicle.   This relates to Playa del Carmen but it explains it the requirements - https://mexlaw.ca/foreigners-registering-vehicle-mexico/

That is correct; you will need a residence visa in order to purchase AND register a car in Jalisco.

Yes, you can drive it in the USA without any difficulty, for up to a year, with US insurance, of course. But, if you have residence in a US state, cops may hassle you in that state, especially in your home town, where it will be seen often.  Having a Mexican resident visa & license in your pocket would help a lot in that case.

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2018 at 7:26 PM, Sonia said:

2009 and 2010, NAFTA made, at Laredo, ~$3000 US

There is no other legal process today.

AMLO our president-elect has signed an agreement with UCD stating he will be allowing nationalizing cars and a motion is already before the Deputies. We do not know the timing. The notice has been published in Milenio.

Any news on the AMLO-UCD agreement?

15 hours ago, koshiboy said:

Any news on the AMLO-UCD agreement?

The senate denied allowing nationalizing other than at the border. The senate dances to the tune and bribes of the powerful auto dealers. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1