Chapala.com Webboard

Home inspector and real estate lawyer

Simon

We used Spencer McMullen at Chapala Law as our representative in the transaction to deal directly with the real estate company. The laws are so different and same with the real estate agents and agencies then what we are used to in the states. The Rules and regs were foreign to us and real estate agents basically have no certifications or education requirements at all (buyer beware) and we thought we could handle it ourselves but as says went by we knew we couldn't handle it without having major issues  and all documents were in Spanish and Spencer who is a  certified  translator for the gvt worked diligently on our behalf and chose the notario. Without him we would have had much difficulty.

39 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

You need a notario not a lawyer and I also recommend Luis Enrique

You actually need both for reasons outlined above by michael2595. As a novice buyer in a foreign land, you need a lawyer that serves your interest and a notario, a lawyer also, that serves to legalize the transaction.

I agree Angus.

I also recommend Luis Enrique as the Notario for closing. But, if you have any questions about the actual real estate contract and your comfort level is flagging because everything is in Spanish, then I would ask Spencer McMullen to go over everything first. Buying a house is stressful enough as it is.

It rains heavily here in the summer, directions vary but there are some consistent Heavy Rains from the North East or the Lake storms from the South West which can be deadly as well as the rise slowly from the Lake to get over the mountains.

For your inspections always have a marble with you too simply test the slope of all terraces & patios etc to insure that driving rain will not actually fill your favoured home with wind driven water! 

As an alternative make plans to mitigate this potential problem by roof extensions, drop curtains, windows etc.

Hi,

My office does real estate due diligence.  Many real estate people and notarios fret if I get involved as if I see any red flags I will note them and if they are serious enough to kill a deal I will say so.  We do most of our work up front before you commit yourself by making an offer and placing a deposit as after they will all team up on you as everybody wants their commission and NOBODY will open their wallets after the sale to fix any mistakes that were made.  Heck, the majority of the real estate people dont speak Spanish so have no idea what the closing papers say and often have brought people to tears to just close if they have any hesitation. Many also refuse to put in contingencies which risks your deposit money.  Remember to be a real estate agent you just need to say you are, there is no licensing and testing like in the US or Canada and no protection against fraud or violations of any fiduciary duties.

9 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Hi,

My office does real estate due diligence.  Many real estate people and notarios fret if I get involved as if I see any red flags I will note them and if they are serious enough to kill a deal I will say so.  We do most of our work up front before you commit yourself by making an offer as after they will all team up on you as everybody wants their commission and NOBODY will open their wallets after the sale to fix any mistakes that were made.  Heck, the majority of the real estate people dont speak Spanish so have no idea what the closing papers say and often have brought people to tears to just close if they have any hesitation. 

100 percent true. IMO, Spencer's help is an excellent investment if you're buying a house here.  More so, if you're a newbie. Nothing is the same as it was NOB.

Archived