Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Pueblo Magico?

Mainecoons

Poptarte is right on target.  When I moved here ten years ago, there were some active efforts to clean up the town on the grassroots level.  There was an "Ajijic Limpio" group.  A local hero (kudos to you; you know who you are) started the graffiti removal movement and there was hope. 

Now, the streets are so bad that it's painful on old backs just to drive from home to the grocery store. Nobody seems to care about what kind of business is prominently built on the main thoroughfare. Nobody is caring for the trees being choked to death by parasites.

Do we seriously think that the monies coming from a "Pueblo Magico" designation would actually end up in the hands of those who will improve the condition of the town?  I'd like to think so since I'm here for the long haul.

And now the laws have been changed so the incumbent mayor can run for yet another term. China is doing the same thing with its leader. Seems like constitutional law is going out the window... law that was written specifically to deter this kind of oligarchical in-breeding. In Mexico, this was put in place way back in 1917 for Presidents.

So, the same guy that is letting the town be dumpified, not beautified, could easily get back in here.

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I read that Ajijic is asking residents to convert vacant land to parking lots.  One at the intersection of Aquiles Serdan and Hidalgo to be the first new one.  To entice people to do this, there will be no charge for the building permits and no tax imposed the first year.  The city will also help with some of the prep work (grading and entrance).  

As far as I can see there is no vacant land at the intersection of Aquiles Serdan and Hidalgo.   However twenty or so meters east on Hidalgo a multi-unit residential building is almost finished and it appears to have only one parking spot.

13 minutes ago, Bandol said:

As far as I can see there is no vacant land at the intersection of Aquiles Serdan and Hidalgo.   However twenty or so meters east on Hidalgo a multi-unit residential building is almost finished and it appears to have only one parking spot.

Quote from Ajijic Delegado Chuni Mendeles in the Lake Chapala Reporter:

CM:

That brings up the problem of parking, too. Currently, we are starting one new parking lot at the corner of Calle Aquiles Serdan and Hidalgo. Construction will start there in a week or two. It will be able to hold 50 cars. The lot will be tax-free for the first year to the owner, and the building permit will be free. It’s owned by an expat who is generously allowing a Mexican neighbor family to run the business. We can help with some of the grading and entrance work. There’s another location behind the church here. It’s pretty big, and can probably hold 200 cars. We’re still working on trying to convince the owners that it will be a good business. In fact, they’re losing money every day that they don’t convert it. But there are a lot of family members. And there’s another place on Juarez that we’re working on, too.  So that’s three.

13 hours ago, bmh said:

well as far as I am concerned parking lots are good news.

In a place with traffic as congested as it is here: definitely.  Some righteous folks may feel that more people should walk or take buses...and they have a point, but this mess is what it is, and not likely to change any time soon.

15 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Quote from Ajijic Delegado Chuni Mendeles in the Lake Chapala Reporter:

Chuni rides past a large empty lot every day. It's located on Guadalupe Victoria across from the Primera Privada and goes all the way to the carretera next to Farmacia Guadalajara and Amutio. Also the enclosed lot behind la Farmacia...

That interior lot by the church is HUGE and would be perfect.  Everybody in the family will want their cut and the family will probably work it out at first.  Then someone will get pissy and the gates will be locked.  

5 hours ago, solajijic said:

That interior lot by the church is HUGE and would be perfect.  Everybody in the family will want their cut and the family will probably work it out at first.  Then someone will get pissy and the gates will be locked.  

I've been told repeatedly over that years that the property behind the church belongs to the church...and is attached with the old school, still in use for various functions. Years ago a group I belong to was allowed to have classes in the old school (for a one week period) and we had to have church permission for both the classroom and parking inside the gates.

Archived