Chapala.com Webboard

DNA testing

cedros

How does on go about DNA testing if you live Lakeside full time? Do you order from Ancestry or? I don't have a US address. Could you get it sent to iShop or ?

Call the number listed on Ancestry.com and/or 23andMe.com and ask them. They'll give the definitive answer.

I ordered mine several years back when I was visiting family in Texas so it was easy to get it and mail it back to the service during the trip.

2 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Call the number listed on Ancestry.com and/or 23andMe.com and ask them. They'll give the definitive answer.

I ordered mine several years back when I was visiting family in Texas so it was easy to get it and mail it back to the service during the trip.

It seems like it would be better to avoid sending it to the US. Can it be done in Mexico?

I used My Heritage....took a while for it to get here....sent it back with friends driving up...you get the results via email.

I think there is an outfit in GDL that will check your DNA for what drugs will work best for you depending on the illness but don't have name of the company.

Google for the top 5 DNA companies and look for the one that best suits your needs/curiosity.  There are differences.

33 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

You can order it to IShop's Laredo address and return it the same way.  Or have someone mule it if you don't want to wait.

That is a thought for me. To do it for a Mexican friend I wonder if I have to wait for Ancestry.mx to start doing it. 

The DNA results do not depend upon other records; just upon the DNA markers in the sample.  That will determine the percentage of ancestral origins reaching back a very long way; probably before written records.  The indigenous portion might be strong, along with the Iberian portion, which might also include North African and/or even Jewish content due to the 700 year Muslim occupation of the Iberian peninsula, with its Jewish population included. 

In my case, which was heavily UK-Irish-Scots, there were traces that went all the way back to Iberia, North Africa, and Nigeria. I found that England usurped Portugal as the dominant colonial power in Nigeria, which had heavy slave trade with North Africa.  Yes, the results will lead you to study history in more detail.  My native ancestors turned out to be French immigrants in the 1600s, who lived with the Mohawks in New France; now Quebec, around the Isle de Montréal. 

Tracing DNA can be more interesting than trying to build the family tree back to the middle ages, when surnames were vague or non-existent.  They were often descriptive, could change, or were just the name of the last place the person came from, etc. The mists of history get very thick with the passage of time.  The common man was seldom written about, and it was an uncommon man who could even write.

This is an interesting article about heritage DNA testing.  One of the takeaways is that different companies have different reference data sets - which essentially come from their customers.  So if your ancestors come from a part of the world where a particular company doesn't have many customers, the results may not be very accurate.  They aren't matching your DNA to some reference genome from the past, they show where your DNA is from today.  So, for example, if the results show you're part Italian, it is mostly matching your DNA to the paying customers from present-day Italy.

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

My daughter, adopted, sent her DNA to 23 and Me.  She found her birth mother and found she had a 1/2 sister, 1/2 brother and 4 nephews.

Her half sister had sent in her DNA to 23 and Me shortly after my daughter had and therefore the company found the match up.  If the two DNAs had been sent to different companies I don't think a match up would have happened since there is not a universal bank of DNA used by the various companies for individuals.

However the DNA would match up with ethnic background as that is universal knowledge.based.

Some ethnic groups like the one I come from did not have last names but were called by the name of the place they came from..and within that place by the name of the houses  so good luck about a family tree... The records of family bbecome exremely foggy past a few generation even in the parts of Europe with better records and they do not account for the out of wedlock kids anyways so the whole history of a family is pretty suspect no matter what people  say.

You can get the 23 and me test from Amazon: $99.00 + $20.16 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Mexico

Though I would recommend having someone who is returning to send it back to the company/do it right before that person leaves.

First, what are you wanting to find?

The results on where your DNA comes from are a very new science and the results are ONLY accurate to continents not countries. That part of the test DOES NOT give you anything approaching a family tree. Plus you only inherit from all ancestors for 3 generations, so a 5th or 6th great grandmother who was Native American or African or... may not have passed any DNA to you. Doesn't mean your are not related.

Your DNA cousin matches may be very useful if they have a family tree. It helps a lot of you do too.

If you are wanting primarily health related information, get 23andMe with the health report - about $169. They have a genealogy only test for about $99. They sell in many countries worldwide but not so many customers are interested in genealogy. The have several tools for evaluating your matches.

The other test cost about $70 with lower prices during frequent sales.

Ancestry has the largest database but only sells to US, Canada, UK and I think Australia so it your ancestors are very recent European immigrants, you may have very few matches. They also lack any accurate tools for evaluation of matches - I have possible matches and probable matches, but not one provable match using Ancestry DNA alone. A second rate product with good marketing.

FamilyTreeDNA sells all over the world but has a smaller database. They do provide a number of valuable tools for evaluating matches and more European matches than I have with Ancestry. They accept uploads from other companies for a small fee.

MyHeritage DNA sells worldwide, is very new but accepts free uploads from other companies and is growing rapidly. They have some evaluation tools and show a great deal of promise.

All the companies data can be uploaded to GEDmatch, a mostly free database with loads of comparison tools so you can compare results with other who have uploaded their data.

No other companies provide anything of real value IMHO and usually charge more.

The number of Hispanics who have tested is smaller than for example Irish or English, but is growing and may provide useful information.

iShop or Sol y Luna can accept the packages.

Archived