Chapala.com Webboard

Need advice on bringing pharmaceutical prescriptions into Mexico

Marlayne

Would appreciate any guidance on bringing our prescriptions when moving to Lakeside. We will be going through Customs in Guadalajara airport and have read some unofficial  information that advised bringing the current written prescription with the prescription already filled as well, a letter from the doctor with the reason for the prescription and its generic name, plus the company inserts for each. Does this sound accurate and is there anything else necessary to bring? Also, is it okay to bring a few months worth of the same prescription or should we stick to just the current prescription and one month's supply? If anyone has an official resource or link, I would be grateful for that or any other information, experiences or tips. Thanks in advance for your help. 

I travel back and forth 6+ times / year..Even when getting a red light NEVER an issue with any scripts, vitamins,  pills..You will hear various 2nd hand accounts of confiscations. ec..Not an issue..

I agree with Tomas. I've never had a problem bringing in prescription medications returning from the U.S. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a copy of the prescription but I have never been asked for one. Also I've never heard of anyone needing a letter from your doctor.

I've brought in a couple of months worth of medications with absolutely no problems.

Over the course of my life I have also done some things that were not "strictly by the book". When I did not have any problems it did not make me decide that there never would be a problem in the future nor to brag that I got away with something. YMMV

Exact English language from "Customs Declaration for passengers coming from abroad".

"Baggage and duty-free exemption"

"Passengers may bring duty- free, new or used items that make up their personal luggage and other items as a part of their duty-free exemption."

"List of items that include personal baggage"

"... A device to measure glucose or a mixed device and their reagents, as well as medicines for personalize (sic) (you must show the corresponding medical prescription for psychotropic substances)."

Over the last ten years I have heard many stories about people bringing in meds with no issue, I have also heard stories about people having issues with meds..  When  dealing with officials in Mexico you get the wrong one on the wrong day you have issues.. If it was me I would make sure they are all in the correct bottles with the correct labels with my name on them and as much paperwork as possible.. Just in case....

Archived