Chapala.com Webboard

What Would You Do?

hensley

Say you have an new neighbor, elderly and you haven't seen him out and about, he hasn't visited his regular breakfast and lunch places and there is a light on inside his house day and night. What would you do and please don't say ignore the situation!

Because like what if he was injured inside or even dead. What would be the next step.

Just asking because someone asked me what I would do.

The last thing I would suggest is NO, don't call the police!

If the doors are locked, the only way someone is going to get in is to break in.  The ambulance people will call the police or bomberos who will break down the door.  A neighbor with a key, maybe?  Otherwise, break in is the only way and warranted.

If its a gringo contact LCS, I think they have some sort of registry, perhaps can provide an emergency contact number.  For a Mexican neighbour, I would talk with other neighbours for more insight.

Edit to add: if the house is a rental find the owner/manager and request a check 

LCS indeed has a registry, and I have used it before when a neighbor passed on--BUT, it is Saturday night, and that won't work. I guess I would get a neighbor or friend to go with me, and I'd break in. Hopefully the person has contact info (doctor, relative) posted on the frig or by the phone. If not, I think I would call my own doctor for advice and help.

57 minutes ago, Jeri said:

If its a gringo contact LCS, I think they have some sort of registry, perhaps can provide an emergency contact number.  For a Mexican neighbour, I would talk with other neighbours for more insight.

Edit to add: if the house is a rental find the owner/manager and request a check 

Ok no one knows his last name. So how could LCS help? There is no office anymore so can't find out who the owner of the rental is.

First of all, thank you for caring Julie. Have you contacted the other neighbours? And thank you for the reminder. One of my friends, Dru, has a set of keys but she lives in Joco. Another closer neighbor, Sandi, has moved to the coast so I need to give her set of keys to my more immediate next door neighbours. Instructions and contacts are on a magnet on my fridge. I really don't give a damn about me but I do have two dogs that are very special.

Heads up! Shit happens but I believe in Murphy's Law. Hopefully, if I've prepared for every possible happening, it won't happen.

12 hours ago, modeeper said:

What if you knocked and heard a faint voice .. Go away, let me die in peace. Would you respect that?  I would. 

Yes

It's not really that difficult.. First: if you believe there is a problem talk to the neighbors to see what they know. try to gain access to the property without breaking in .. Look through the windows to see if there is anything amiss. If you still believe there is a possible problem call the police, they will take care of gaining access to the property. It's not the first time that type of situation has arisen at Lakeside.

Calling the police is definitely something no one should do. Bad advice!!!!

The neighbors called the Consulate, they sent a warden out and he looked through the gate and said lets give this a couple of weeks and see if he shows up and off he went. They were a big help.

3 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

It's not really that difficult.. First: if you believe there is a problem talk to the neighbors to see what they know. try to gain access to the property without breaking in .. Look through the windows to see if there is anything amiss. If you still believe there is a possible problem call the police, they will take care of gaining access to the property. It's not the first time that type of situation has arisen at Lakeside.

Good one!  Nobody has mentioned any of that.

Does the person have a housekeeper known to other neighbors?  

The OP mentioned the person not being at his regular restaurants....have you tried interviewing other regulars and waitstaff at those places (he may have mentioned his plans to them)?

I believe you can go to the Chapala government tax office with the address and ask to see the record of ownership.  Then see if you can reach the owner.  

21 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

If he is actually there he probably is no longer alive after all this time has passed. You'll know for sure as soon as the house warms up from the sun, since nothing else seems to being done.

The OP has not indicated how long the man has been 'missing.'  Or did I miss something??

If it was me I wouldn't have been asking questions on a web board..I would have acted if I believed there was a possible problem.  This could be a life or death situation.. Hopefully your neighbor has gone away for a few days and left the light on as a security measure, and not laying on the floor with a broken hip.. Or suffered a stroke.

In the situation I am familiar with the police acted in a very professional manner, they scaled the wall broke in and found the occupant dead.. 

Archived