Chapala.com Webboard

Earthquake just now?

geeser

Yeah, and the high school kids in Fla.  And the bombing in Siria. Don't forget Baghdad.  Russia just jailed 14 desodents.  Kim Jong Un executed 11 yesterday.  My bad.  How thoughtless of me.  

Your friends in Oaxaca do not live on the coast.. I just paid for repairs on my house down there and all of the tremors are causing damage and weakenng the sructures.  We had 150 tremors in the forllowing 3 hours after the  main earthquake and all those tremors cause craks  that eventually damage the house.. I know I just paid for the last damages.. Just because the houses do not come down does not mean the houses do not get damaged.

Two blocks from me in Mexico City, an entire building collapsed.  Half a block from me, another building is leaning dangerously out over the street.  In my own apartment, a wall--recently repaired after the September 19 earthquake--cracked open again.  This earthquake was an oscillating one, so in spite of its strength, damage was less than in the September 19 quake.  September 19 was what is called a dip/slip quake, where one tectonic plate 'dips' below another plate, allowing the higher plate to slide across it.

The damage in Oaxaca was not in the CITY of Oaxaca, it was primarily in the Pinotepa de don Luis, where many houses collapsed.  The Pinotepa de don Luis is approximately 100km from the city of Oaxaca, much closer to the Pacific coast.

ETA: Crosspost with bmh.

yes More Liana I know, some people are big experts from the distance, those earthquakes cause damage and really frighten people.Just because people in  the valley of Oaxaca have no damage, it does not mean  that other places did not get damaged, ie Mexico CIty which is further. I know my friends in Chiapas told me it was  strong  

I am glad you are OK Good luck to us on the next one...

I have earthquake insurrance in Chiapas.. The god and bad news is that is your house is not  wiped out or has very serious damage the insurrance does not want to know about it. My roof was damaged and as it was raining I had a cascade in the living room and the insurrance did not work.. If your house does not fall down good luck on collecting.

Lakeside I have flood insurrance but cancelled earthquake insurrance.

5 months ago 8.1 magnitude, 69 km depth 
El Palmarcito, Chiapas, Mexico

22 years ago 8.0 magnitude, 33 km depth 
El Colomo, Colima, Mexico

32 years ago 8.0 magnitude, 27 km depth 
Arteaga, Michoacán, Mexico

90 years ago 7.9 magnitude, 20 km depth 
Santa Catarina Roatina, Oaxaca, Mexico

86 years ago 7.8 magnitude, 15 km depth 
Minatitlán, Colima, Mexico

115 years ago 7.8 magnitude, 0 km depth 
San Pedro Buenavista, Chiapas, Mexico

111 years ago 7.8 magnitude, 30 km depth 
El Arador, Oaxaca, Mexico

39 years ago 7.7 magnitude, 18 km depth 
San Agustín Loxicha, Oaxaca, Mexico

86 years ago 7.7 magnitude, 25 km depth 
Minatitlán, Colima, Mexico

I was in Zihuatanejo for the big one.  Some of the high-rise hotels came down in neighboring Ixtapa and DF got murdered.   I remember reading in The Mexico City News the main cause for the more than expected damage was the content of actual cement in the mix. It was reduced due to pilfering.  So the mix was 10-20% light and hundreds died for it.  Were I to build a house here there'd be an inspector bearing some other nationality standing there during working hours. 
Insurance:  I posted here about a year ago about my car being totaled at a national park due to a fire in the parking lot.  The damage came to 16,000mxn.   After a month of haggling with the insurer I was awarded a check for 4,000 that bounced the first three times I tried to cash it.  Arriba la Raza!

Am in Mexico City in Chinatown when the 7.0 hit Oaxaca.  We heard alarms and the building started to shake. Since we are in chinatown  thousands of people are in the streets for the new years celebration. We ran from the hotel and joined the crowds.  Looked up and you could see things sway. Decided to go to a bar as elevators are inspected before you can use them. Quite an experience for a PNW boy.  The look of fear was on many faces.  We had an aftershock an hour later but it didn't trip the alarms. 

44 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Decided to go to a bar

Now if that bar had one of those lil alcoves with a statue of Jesucristo ringed in lit candles you'd have bout everything you'd needed.

Archived