Chapala.com Webboard

Renewing Drivers License Today

hensley

Got there in Chapala at 7:45 and there were lots of people in line already, at a little before 9am they starting letting us in, which there were well over 300 people in line. The policeman at the door was handing out the numbers we got 101 for the 2 of us which was a big mistake, get a number for each of you. Then we had to ask to please let us both get our renewals and they finally did as the policeman had only given 1 number for about 5 couples. They arrived from Guadalajara at 10:30am and then people starting to form another line according to their numbers. Since we were 101 we stayed seated until they were in the 80's. They were asking to check out paperwork and they wanted copies only, unless you had a carta de residencia they wanted that original, and your old drivers license. We got through the line about 11:30pm and they had told the first group to come back at noon, we went back about 12:30pm and they were calling names for photos and signatures. They called you by name for that, then you sat and waited for your laminated Drivers License. We were all done at 1:30. So 6 hours of a lot of standing and sitting and we are all done for another 4 years.

The auditorium that they sat us in was very comfortable and sat over 200.

Here is the kicker, they only took the 1st 120 people with numbers and sent all the rest away until they return March 6th. We think they were giving them another 120 numbers for those standing in line.

I was going to go this morning but after seeing the crowd, I changed my mind

So-----after standing and waiting a 180 +or-- people got turned away? I bet they were not happy campers.

I also heard they closed at 2;00PM.

How long does this renewal take it you go to Guadalajara?

Was planning to do it today in Chapala but then had something else I had to do. I'm so glad I skipped it. Thanks for the report hensley.

I'd much rather do it more quickly, efficiently and with less pain/waiting in Guadalajara next time I head that way for something else.

4 hours ago, hensley said:

Got there in Chapala at 7:45 and there were lots of people in line already, at a little before 9am they starting letting us in, which there were well over 300 people in line. The policeman at the door was handing out the numbers we got 101 for the 2 of us which was a big mistake, get a number for each of you. Then we had to ask to please let us both get our renewals and they finally did as the policeman had only given 1 number for about 5 couples. They arrived from Guadalajara at 10:30am and then people starting to form another line according to their numbers. Since we were 101 we stayed seated until they were in the 80's. They were asking to check out paperwork and they wanted copies only, unless you had a carta de residencia they wanted that original, and your old drivers license. We got through the line about 11:30pm and they had told the first group to come back at noon, we went back about 12:30pm and they were calling names for photos and signatures. They called you by name for that, then you sat and waited for your laminated Drivers License. We were all done at 1:30. So 6 hours of a lot of standing and sitting and we are all done for another 4 years.

The auditorium that they sat us in was very comfortable and sat over 200.

Here is the kicker, they only took the 1st 120 people with numbers and sent all the rest away until they return March 6th. We think they were giving them another 120 numbers for those standing in line.

If whey really gave out 120 numbers for the March 6th date that would make going there a waste of time for everyone.  Standing in line again for nothing.

Exact same reports and same complaints every single time they do licenses here. Why do people go and then complain about it?  Stop going. It is soo easy to do it at one of their offices, enjoy a leisurely drive, stop for a pleasant lunch and  be home with your new license while people are still waiting in line for theirs here.

11 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Exact same reports and same complaints every single time they do licenses here. Why do people go and then complain about it?  Stop going. It is soo easy to do it at one of their offices, enjoy a leisurely drive, stop for a pleasant lunch and  be home with your new license while people are still waiting in line for theirs here.

I wasn't complaining and I didn't have time to go into Guadalajara since I have been going every week for other things.

Archived