Chapala.com Webboard

Upscale Resale

Earl

I was there yesterday and again today and was quite surprised to see all new workers there.  The lady behind the counter said that nothing has changed; they'd still be donating to the same charity, just new people running it, and she claimed to have no idea why she and the other  new people were there and the old ones gone.  Does anyone know if the old volunteers are starting another place? 

The old volunteers will be starting a new place as soon as possible.  The have backing.  They were kicked to the street for ?  The same charity is Hope House who walked in and fired the manager with no explanation.  I think the people there today know more than they are willing to disclose.  I was there this morning to pickup my consignment and will support the new Bazar when opened.

I will pick up consignments as well.  I walked out of there feeling rather uneasy but didn't think of doing it then.  I'm glad to hear that the old volunteers will be starting a new place.  I hope they have better parking in the new place!!

1 hour ago, masongringo said:

The old volunteers will be starting a new place as soon as possible.  The have backing.  They were kicked to the street for ?  The same charity is Hope House who walked in and fired the manager with no explanation.  I think the people there today know more than they are willing to disclose.  I was there this morning to pickup my consignment and will support the new Bazar when opened.

I would rather support good charities bazars like Hope House then a Bazzar for profit that pays a employe. No explanation?? I'm sure there was at least one. 

1 minute ago, traderspoc said:

The upscale resale is a non profit

The old manager went to start a for profit thrift shop,

Does anyone have other info that needs to known

Thank you traderspoc this is what I heard also just today.

Most charitable  bazars have volunteers and a paid manager. In my 9 years of working with bazars, I am very confident when I say, you must have a paid manager. There are many duties expected from a manager,  especially paperwork if it is a consignment store. Managers  usually do the pricing because  if everyone did, there would be real chaos. In addition they have to make sure the bazar is clean, tidy, safe and everyone is honest, train new volunteers monitor length of time an item doesn't sell etc.  You cannot expect a volunteer to do or want to do that.. Volunteers practically all are retired and have the freedom of coming and going, work certain days etc.

As for only going to charitable bazars, that is your prerogative and the way many people feel, nothing is wrong with that.. Some bazars, however, are owned and run by Mexicans. This is how they earn money to live.   

1 hour ago, masongringo said:

My understanding is that the new bazaar will be donating to animal care and spay and neuter clinic.  Correct me if I am wrong.

The change would be welcome if correct. The former because of their mandate should just rely on their own organization here and in the US for funding.

Archived