Chapala.com Webboard

Fat Tuesday Parade, Start time

jle

10 is more like it.  These parades do not start like clockwork!  It takes around an hour to wind through town and end up at the Plaza.  Prepare to be doused with flying flour and confetti, it's all part of the fun.

Here is a video of the Fiesta Taurina which is the last pre-carnaval parade is called, which took place today.  It ends up at the Lienzo Charro where the big boys mix it up with the Zayac@s who get down and dirty.  They used to let the young steers into the ring amidst all this frenzy, but they stopped doing that.  

Here is the Carnaval parade from 2016.  I felt last year's was a little subdued, a little commercialized. Check out my Utube channel for many more videos of various fiestas and MX events here.

NEWSFLASH:  The parade starts at 11:00, not sharply,  I went down to view it and only a few guys were standing around.  I asked them if it had already passed and they said no, it starts at 11.  As I turned around to walk back home, one of them yelled out to me in English:  I Love You.  It's great to feel a part of your neighborhood.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of very short but action packed videos from the Fiesta Taurnina, the Pre-Carnaval parade which ends up at the Lienzo Charro.    I have never seen a single gringo at this event.  EZPZ goes where gringos fear to tread.

Watch closely the first few seconds of the next video as a young steer comes out of nowhere and chases this boy out of the ring,  as he jumped over my head to escape the steer.  They used to let the steers into the ring along with the kids and charros but they don't do that anymore.

I can imagine.  We make it a rule to never get the car out of the garage during these times.  Between those stupid lights in San Antonio and the explosion of Mexican cars on local roads, this entire area is rapidly turning into a traffic nightmare.

Being backed up from the light in Chapala past the west end of the Malecon there has become routine, those restaurants and topes in San Juan Cosala grid lock that area and it is taking multiple lights to get through Ajijic, construction or no, much of the time.

The best times are over for Lakeside IMHO.

The lights and topes are not stupid.  If you walked around here like most of the local people and myself, you would understand.  Lights are the only safe way to get across the carretera, treacherous with traffic these days.  The lights also help cars make left turns onto the roads.  Haven't you noticed?  We still need one at Calle Revolucion in Ajijic!!!!

The fact that you pre-suppose I don't walk around here is insulting to me. I remind you vociferously that when there were fewer lights, there were fewer traffic problems. The lights in San Antonio created their own problems that have nothing to do with more people arriving. I remind you also that when the lights are OFF in La Floresta and through Ajijic on weekends, traffic flows like a river, and drivers are much more likely to let pedestrians cross, and to let people turn onto the highway from cross-streets. Because traffic is smoother, drivers exhibit much more patience, and everything works better.

Archived