Chapala.com Webboard

Earthquake

ibarra

26 minutes ago, Floradude said:

I have lived here 15 years this May and I have yet to feel one of our earthquakes.  I am from Seattle so I am used to earthquakes.  My house must be built on some strange material.  Someday maybe I can say 'I felt it.'  I should add that I live in Upper Ajijic

Wow, Floradude, you must have missed the 2003 Colima earthquake (7.6) by just a blink.  I was living in the village at the time and it was quite strong even in Ajijic.  Visitors from Michigan were staying in my casita; as the quake shook, rattled, and rolled I glanced across my patio and saw them with their wide-eyed faces plastered against the glass door.  "Is this what we think it is, an EARTHQUAKE?" they shouted.  We all went out into the street and stood around looking at one another and commiserating with the neighbors for a few minutes.  They'd never experienced a quake, so they had an excitement-in-Mexico story to tell when they got back home.  

That was actually a very bad earthquake for Colima, where between 25 and 30 people died, many more were injured, many were left homeless, and there was much destruction of property. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Colima_earthquake

Yes, More Liana, I remember that one too!  I was in a restaurant and the chandelier was swinging wildly. We were sitting next to a large plate glass mirror and decided to get outside. The young waitress was going bananas. I think that one was a 'swaying' kind rather than a 'rumbling' kind.....

Archived