Chapala.com Webboard

Current Info on Mexican Drivers Licenses.

Toritrue

Hi, I've searched many postings, but they are from 2013 to 2017.  Does anyone have any CURRENT information on:

1.  Can we get a Mexican Drivers License in Chapala?

2.  Do we have to take a test if we already have a valid drivers license from the USA or Canada?

3.  Are there people who can assist with the test if it is all in Spanish?  I've downloaded the 103 question test from the Internet... and my Spanish isn't THAT good.?

4.  What are the fees?  And what type of documentation, if any do you need to provide.

5.  I've heard there are "facilitators" who can help.  How does one find one of these people?

Thanks for your time.

2  Written test yes but as I understand (and confirm this with Luzma) if you are over 60 then no driving test. I have heard there may be an age limit on obtaining or renewing drivers licenses but again, ask Luzma, especially if you are 'older than dirt'.

4  & 5 - send an email to Luzma Grande - ajijicconcierge@gmail.com

She is a facilitator, likes to take small groups (2 or 3 people) in to GDL for their licenses so she can give personal assistance. Been doing this for a while and regularly so she will have all the current requirements and prices.

1. Sometimes

2. Yes

3. Yes. Just memorize it. Only in Spanish for the 3 I've been to.

4. Varies. Varies with time. Go ask at the office in Chapala.

I did this a year ago.  When they came to Chapala, the test was in Spanish and everyone was required to do a parallel parking test.  When I went to Guadalajara with Luzma, the test was in poorly google translated English.  It involved identifying the meaning of traffic signs.  There was no driving test required if you could show a driving license from anywhere.  (One person's was expired and that didn't matter).  I don't remember what the cost was but Luzma was able to get the cost I paid in Chapala discounted because I was over 60.

• 2 months later...

Archived