Chapala.com Webboard

DIF Cards

RCman

My wife and a couple friends have been trying for two  months to apply for DIF cards. They went to Chapala and were told what was the required for documentation. With the documents in hand they made 4 trips to Chapala each time being told they had no cards available and to come back next week. They even tried on one occasion to go to the office in Joco with the same results.

As they were being told the cards had to come from Guadalajara, they decided this week to go there instead. The first location was closed due to renovations. With difficulty they located another office where there were long lineups. One of the friends speaks quite good Spanish and went over to another desk to ask if they were in the right place and was told if she wanted to ask a question, she had to go to the back of the line. She said she fully understood they would have to go to the back of the line but just wanted to be sure it was the right line. Again she was told she had to line up just to ask that question.

So the question is despite being told we are welcome to apply for these cards, in reality do they simply not want us to have these cards? Has anyone else experienced such a run around? 

• Haha 2

The INAPAM card is better as it is valid in all of Mexico including Jalisco. The DIF card is valid only in Jalisco. You get it at the DIF office in Chapala. BTW the Chapala office is often short/out of both cards.

I did mine (INAPAM) through LCS but I don't know when they will have another event. You might call or go in and ask at the office. They seem to have one every year.

I went to Guadalajara almost two weeks ago for my Inapam card; the doors open at 8 and they take the first 100 people on line. This card is for all Mexicans who reach the age of 60 and, for nationals, it provides discounts on property and water taxes as well. The fact that expats are eligible for some of the discounts is, for me, a bonus to living here; we certainly are not the target market.

We left Ajijic before 6; it was almost 7:30 when I got on line and I was #88. The people at the head of the line were queued prior to 6 am. The wait is outside, standing, and you stand to complete a questionnaire: take a pen or buy one from the pen salesman, along with your photos and required docs and photocopies. They allow 40 people (the number of seats inside) to enter as a group: you cannot take someone in with you...they must wait outside or elsewhere. If you don't read Spanish fluently, you will need assistance: this was the case for many elderly-looking Mexican citizens who could not understand the form. To the best of my observation, nobody spoke English there, either.. 

Once it is your turn to approach the painfully slow process at one of two desks, the process takes about 15 minutes. There at 7:30, I was out the door at 1:20 pm. Be sure to carefully proof the info on your card when the worker hands it to you: the man in front of me was returning because they had typed his name incorrectly and, as it didn't match his ID, his municipality wouldn't accept it, of course, so...in line again, start over.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I have to just say that I am surprised at how many foreigners will go through this whole procedure, to try to get a 50% discount on their 200 dollar property taxes, from a municipality which  desperately needs their tax money.  I am only guessing but I bet the staff who weren't very friendly were thinking the same thing. When they see foreigners living what is "the high life" compared to theirs, travelling, eating out in restaurants often, buying all kinds of things those workers could never afford, simply even owning a home which many of them never will, and then wanting to save that $100 because they have heard that they too are "entitled" to this discount, it might make them somewhat upset, don't you think?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

I have to just say that I am surprised at how many foreigners will go through this whole procedure, to try to get a 50% discount on their 200 dollar property taxes, from a municipality which  desperately needs their tax money.  I am only guessing but I bet the staff who weren't very friendly were thinking the same thing. When they see foreigners living what is "the high life" compared to theirs, travelling, eating out in restaurants often, buying all kinds of things those workers could never afford, simply even owning a home which many of them never will, and then wanting to save that $100 because they have heard that they too are "entitled" to this discount, it might make them somewhat upset, don't you think?

Of course I personally don´t think you are correct in your assumptions about all these things and your particular entitlement that you feel and are projecting onto other foreigners is why you think this way. Of course most Mexican´s don´t care about your so called superior socioeconomic status as you might think they do. :mellow:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

I was under the impression DIF cards were a thing of the past and that INAPAM is the one to have.   Always have been problems with no blank cards, including INAPAM.   I seem to remember it took months for them to get new cards so I asked for their phone number  and called until they were in then hurried down on the Thursday , then the only day for cards, and had no problems.   Don't take any of these delays personally, it's just the way it is.

• Thanks 1

Mexico is another word for waiting. It's the culture. No one is more impressed with the use of despotic power than the gov't worker in this country. Whatever they can do to add pointless copies of paper and bank payments, they will do. It's the job, man. It's not aimed at expats; haven't met a Mexican yet who doesn't hate it.

• Like 1

We got ours back in 2005, at Chapala. It only took 8 months of weekly visits, plus a letter from a friend of a friend in high places. Othewise, it might have been impossible.

The card is useful for free entry to museums, parks, etc., some discuouts in farmacias and definitely useful if you use buses or even fly a lot on Mexican planes.

We are very careful to take good care of our INAPAM and RP cards.....just in case.

23 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

I have to say that I experienced absolutely nothing negative, in attitude nor expectations, from anyone on line nor employees in Guadalajara. The long lines and bureaucracy are shared by everyone applying for the Inapam card, as well as most registrations and renewals in Mexico. I personally wanted the card not for the "discounts", but because it is one of the official forms of acceptable ID in these here parts and I'd rather keep it on me than some of the other IDs that are routinely requested.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Mexico is another word for waiting. It's the culture. No one is more impressed with the use of despotic power than the gov't worker in this country. Whatever they can do to add pointless copies of paper and bank payments, they will do. It's the job, man. It's not aimed at expats; haven't met a Mexican yet who doesn't hate it.

If you want a chuckle check this out.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, gimpychimp said:

I just have to say that IMO if they offer it to foreigners then we should be able to get it without hassle. No judging necessary. If we're not meant to have it then so be it. Personally, I haven't experienced any negativity.

If any of you are in San Miguel I can get you an INAPAM card in under an hour any week day. My web site covers INAPAM benefits of which there are so many. You do need to be a temporary or permanent resident. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sonia said:

If any of you are in San Miguel I can get you an INAPAM card in under an hour any week day. My web site covers INAPAM benefits of which there are so many. You do need to be a temporary or permanent resident. 

If any of you who need an INAPAM card you can get one here in San Luis Potosí in under an hour also. I have helped numerous seniors and they have a stack of them in 2 city locations. You need an INM card, 2 infintile color photos, your CURP and a proof of address, it isn´t  important where you live. It is a federal office and card. Open 8AM to 3PM Mon. thru Fri..

http://www.inapam.gob.mx/en/INAPAM/Beneficios_SLP

I think it's interesting that the municipality of Chapala refuses to give the required discounts on taxes and water bills. I understand that these discounts are given in Jocotepec. 

I showed the guy at Simapa a copy of their own regulations, which mandates discounts for anyone over 60, but he said that was for Mexicans only.  I then pointed out that it was against federal law to discriminate. He just shrugged.

• Haha 2

Chapala has managed to create rules to deny you the senior citizen discount whether or not you are mexican. If your house is over a certain size no discount. So in all likelihood you wouldn't get it no matter what cards you have.

BTW more than half the mexican pop. works in the underground economy in order to NOT pay taxes. They are fiercely patriotic, but, see no benefit in paying taxes that will be absconded with by our fine politicos.

• Thanks 1

An American guy I know once told me how frustrating it was for him that he just couldn't get his Mexican wife to understand that it wasn't financially beneficial for her to leave their furniture store (which mostly catered to ex-pats) in the care of her 16 year old niece who didn't speak a word of English, so she could go stand in line for 3 hours in January to get a 30 peso discount on their property tax bill.

• Thanks 1

We use our INAPAM  cards regularly for discounts on medicine (Walmart will give discount on medical supplies too) and when it is time for DL renewal, there is a 50% discount with the card.  We were fortunate to have obtained the cards through LCS.  I would as Veronica at LCS if she can help with the process.  Here is her emal address - imssinm@gmail.com

On 2/7/2018 at 8:06 AM, RCman said:

One of the friends speaks quite good Spanish

:lol:

Ok, here's the rule around here.  You walk into the place with the long line, you look around and notice the ages of the folks in the line.  If you are the oldest you simply walk up to the front of the line.

If something about this bothers you .. bring a cane with you and limp a little.  Guaranteed, nobody will say a word.  If they do, they're not Mexicans.  

This too will help us Gringoids maintain an image of not being so stupid.  Cause if you're elderly (de la tercera edad) people will wonder why you are standing back there like a fool.  

• Confused 1