Chapala.com Webboard

Masayume

Wookie

We ate at Masayume today for the first time and we will be back soon.  I was never inclined to try this place because it looks so small, is located on a busy strip of businesses and I thought it would be too dusty.  There are tables outside that I think would not be pleasant though other people made the choice to sit out there ... 

The food was excellent as well as the service.  This restaurant is across the street on the mountain side from Lloyds, next door to the upholstery shop.

I ate there a month ago. The fish soup was bland with obviously just defrosted pieces of tasteless fish. The sushi too was tasteless. I know Japanese food has subtle flavors in many dishes, but I will pass trying more of their offerings. Below par on even a Mexican weighted scale.

Only two comments about the sushi itself here, and ajijiccharlie didn't say whether he liked it or not, just that it doesn't have cream cheese. Seems some people on TOB are upset that any diner could make a comment about the food without eating there. Of course, they didn't try the sushi anyway. In my case, I can only reiterate that the guy from El Barco made lousy sushi; he may make great Japanase-style food otherwise, but that's not really my interest at this point. I don't see why he would change his style or method.

True dat. But in this instance, I have already been a guineau pig once in the past week, and I will take the selfish way out for now. I think I report positively on enough restaurants on this board that I can afford this little luxury.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Saturday evening. Not many people, and we did sit outside at nice tables... the traffic noise was actually not bad, considering how much of there is, including the busses. Inside was a little too warm.

I will recommend this place. We tried a bit of everything. The tempura was particularly good, with a different cook method: thinly sliced veg instead of whole veg, so clumps of items together. Came out hot and super-crispy, the way it should. But it needs to be eaten quickly, because as it starts to cool, the oil begins to run heavily.

SUSHI was my main reason for going, and right off the bat, the rice is proper sushi rice, flavoured with Asian wine vinegar. NO creamcheese on the menu, except for one item. And reasonably-sized portions of whichever seafood ordered, which is a bonus. Everything was Very Good. The rolls were too small, however, compared to any place else I've ever been. However, I can trade quantity for quality anytime. Prices were reasonable for most items, I think. Tried various types, according to the menu, which is a tad different. For example, he calls a California any roll that has a seaweed wrapper. Tried the surimi and the salmon. Both very good. Everything was 55 to 85p, more or less.

I had a cone called Spider, which was perhaps the most expensive on the menu, at $113p. A large cone of rice wrapped in nori (seaweed), with a whole fried soft-shelled crab. Very tasty, although the frying method meant it was full of oil, and for those who don't like crab guts, hmmmm.... .

I also had the basic tuna nigiri (a ball of rice with a slice of raw tuna). The tuna was mild and tasty, and a nice thick slice. I'd compare it to the tuna at the place in Plaza Bugambilias, which actually gives you more for the money, and is multiple slices on a bed of cucumber. I think it was 77p; they also offer two other types of tuna, including yellowfin, for a bit more.

For two, the bill came to $527, with three soft drinks at 20p each. So not a bad price considering a: it's sushi, and two: we enjoyed a fairly big variety. I will go back.

We enjoyed as well: had the gyozas (fried, not steamed as I'd prefer), three different sushis (there's an asterisk next to several items denoting cream cheese), and a tempura. A really nice meal and we will be back. The waitress, Cheyenne, is top notch....seriously, one of the best, most pleasant and attentive servers currently working Lakeside.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cedros said:

I've wanted to try this place but it doesn't open until 2. 

NOB habits are ingrained: my stomach yells at my brain to be fed somewhere between noon and 1 p.m.

After siesta?  That's when you'd need to be truly on Mexican time and not have dinner till eight or later. Too late for that level of adjustment in this body, this time around.:rolleyes:

How's the song go?  "I get too hungry for dinner at eight".....

8 minutes ago, gringal said:

NOB habits are ingrained: my stomach yells at my brain to be fed somewhere between noon and 1 p.m.

After siesta?  That's when you'd need to be truly on Mexican time and not have dinner till eight or later. Too late for that level of adjustment in this body, this time around.:rolleyes:

How's the song go?  "I get too hungry for dinner at eight".....

With my experience, Mexican time is dinner at 3:00pm and lunch is at 8:00pm

Archived