Chapala.com Webboard

Volaris airlines, can you bring 2 laptops into Mexico

Sandrita

I will be buying a new laptop while in the states and will also have my old laptop with me when I fly back to Mexico.  Does anyone know if Volaris will allow 1 laptop to be put into checked baggage and the new laptop as part of a carry-on?

Muchas gracias.

I don't know about Volaris, but I always go up and down with my carry on computer. About very 12 to 18 months I would buy another one, and when returning carry the old computer in my suitcase and the new one as a carryon. I have never had a problem.  I do not know anything about potential fire hazards if you have the wrong type of battery.

It's my understanding that you are only allowed to bring one computer into the country..You have to pay duty on the second one.. But that's if they catch you with it... 

I don't think Volaris care if you bring one or two... I don't see why it would be a problem putting one in your checked baggage.. Other than the Issue of having it stolen...

As CG said, DO NOT PUT COMPUTERS IN CHECKED BAGS. Configure your carryon's to carry both of them. Customs doesn't care anymore about this stuff. I have come in with a laptop, tablet and 2 cell phones and not a glance. 

This reminds me of our first exploratory trip to lakeside  8 years ago. We flew Aeromexico though Mexico City.

When we unpacked at the Neuva Posada that evening I discovered a video camera I placed in checked luggage was missing. I commented to my wife that at least they didn't get my laptop that was in the same suitcase.

They got the laptop on our return flight 7 days later.

Lesson leaned

SunFan

The airline you fly hasn't anything to say about packing two computers.  It's customs in Mexico and they won't care if you tell them they are both for your personal use.  One time I brought in 3 laptops but when I told him they were all personal--no problem.  If you want your old laptop to be stolen, put it in your checked baggage where it'a available for any thief to grab; doesn't matter where you fly in the world, there are thieves working for every airline baggage department.

Archived