Chapala.com Webboard

Problems with ceiling fan remote

Arroyos

We were testing our breakers in our house a few weeks ago after a power outage to see which ones covered what.  We have two ceiling fans in our living room which are on the same circuit and therefore controlled by one switch and a remote.  One fans worked fine after we figured out our breakers, but the other fan will not work at all with the remote.  Just wondering if anyone out there has had problems with ceiling fans and their remote (Hampton Bay fan) and if you found a technician/electrician to fix it.  The fan is not longer covered by the Home Depot warranty and we don't have the receipt, so may have difficulty with Hampton Bay in GDL, assuming there is an office there.  Look forward to hearing from anyone that might have had similar problems.  Thanks

The fan guru here is Raphael Granados 766-3797 or 333-486-4706. He does installations for the fan and lighting store next to the Sunrise Restaurant in San Antonio. That store is where you should go if you have a hard time getting hold of him to book him for troubleshooting.

For those who don't have remotes for their fans, they can be installed separately after the fact. There is no need to buy a whole new fan.

For the OP, even with a remote, the chain that is also the on/off switch could have been pulled into the off position accidentally. Normally, there are three chain positions that control speed and then off. Depending on which chain position the fan is put in, the remote then gives you another three speeds for that chain position. So, really you have 9 speeds for your fan with a remote. Choices, I like choices. Best of luck

I've had 2 ceiling fan receivers and one remote die in the last year so yes it can happen. In one case the fan didn't react to any of the buttons on the remote while the other seemed to be passing low voltage to the fan. The CFL lights wouldn't come on but the fan would spin although very slow.

It's pretty easy to drop the cap and pull the receiver in order to ensure the fan works connected directly to power. The only caveat is to make sure the power is off when disconnecting the receiver.

The fan store near Escalera sells remotes and receivers or you can get one on Amazon Mexico. The problem has been that the frequencies have changed over time so if you have a broken remote, a new one may not talk to the working receiver. Some have a 4 dipswitch frequency selectors while others have 5. The Litex remote has a learn button with no switches.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B004V4OFYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An electrician can install a new receiver very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I had two ceiling fans, one of which had a very complex problem, and Raphael was able to fix those things, with a great attitude and a extremely reasonable price!  His name is Raphael Granados,  and his number is 333-486-4706. I reached him on that number but another number for him is 766-3797. This is a wonderful man and a fan genius. I can't recommend him highly enough! 

Ironically, remotes do not use household electricity. So any problem is going to be in the electronics of the fan. And when I say electronics, I mean motherboards and switches. Fans themselves, like any other device here, are subject to the whims of the CFEs ineptness. And the countless "electricians", who are really just handymen.

On a positive note, I have never had a ceiling fan die here... just make noise as they got older.

Archived