Chapala.com Webboard

Apartments

Jackie68

We have decided that we are going to be moving to the Ajijic area within the next 2 years. I may have to come alone first and get an apartment for a year before my husband can move down, at which time we plan on getting a house in the 160k range.

I am wondering what types of apartments or rooms are available. It would need to be furnished with paid bills. We are coming down next year in February and will be prepared to pay an entire year rent in advance. Would like to stay in 500 to 600 USD range.

On a side note. I am fluent in Spanish and have a long past of working with animals. I have groomed for 20 years and worked as a vet tech. I would like to give Spanish and English lessons down there and maybe do something with animals. Is there a call for these skills? 

We are also networking for friends!! It would be nice to get to know some of you before we get there!

Sorry this is so long. Any info would be helpful! Thank you!

If you do a search on "Long term rentals in Ajijic, Mexico" you will get some idea of what you can get for what you want to pay.

Re your question about working with animals, you'll need to check the regulations on what you need to do in order to work in Mexico. 

Good luck!

There are two different organizations in the Lakeside area who offer free spay neuter clinics several times a year. There are many expat volunteers manning those clinics. You skills as a vet tech, with grooming, and the fact that you speak Spanish would make you a valuable volunteer at these clinics. I have served as a team leader in the registration area of these clinics for the past couple of years. I’ve found the clinics to be one of the most rewarding activities in which I’ve been involved. We need truly bilingual volunteers to work with registration.The two organizations are Operación Amor (operates in the Chapala municipality) and Tails of Mexico (operates in the Jocotepec municipality).

I also volunteer teaching English once a week to high school and university students who are scholarship recipients in the Pathways program that was founded a few years ago by Pat Baxter. 

There are many volunteer opportunities here for someone like you. Working for wages is another thing; one must have a permanente visa (vs. a temporal visa or a tourist permit) in order to work. If you hold a temporal visa, then you must obtain a separate permission to work from Mexican immigration (INM).

On 2/6/2018 at 8:55 AM, Jackie68 said:

We have decided that we are going to be moving to the Ajijic area within the next 2 years. I may have to come alone first and get an apartment for a year before my husband can move down, at which time we plan on getting a house in the 160k range.

I am wondering what types of apartments or rooms are available. It would need to be furnished with paid bills. We are coming down next year in February and will be prepared to pay an entire year rent in advance. Would like to stay in 500 to 600 USD range.

On a side note. I am fluent in Spanish and have a long past of working with animals. I have groomed for 20 years and worked as a vet tech. I would like to give Spanish and English lessons down there and maybe do something with animals. Is there a call for these skills? 

We are also networking for friends!! It would be nice to get to know some of you before we get there!

Sorry this is so long. Any info would be helpful! Thank you!

Word of caution impacting your planning: with expats flooding into Ajijic since last year, houses in the 160K range are getting sparse if not nonexistent.  Very strong seller`s market, houses are selling for asking price within a week.  Rentals in Ajijic are going high fast, no more $500 rentals.   There have always been very few apartments lakeside.  Rooms are even less likely to find.  Look for house rentals.   

With a 160K budget you may have to look outside of Ajijic, San Antonio or Chapala. That means looking in other areas like San Juan (maybe), Jocotepec or Istlahuacan or the smaller pueblos around Istlahuacan or those east of Chapala.  Look in the local online realty and rental places to get an idea of what prices are here.  Landlords rent month to month on 6 month, 1 year contracts but payments are still on month to month basis.  They do not take a year`s rent in advance and do not rent for the future.  You have present yourself to the landlord and rent starting the following month.

It is a VERY bad idea to pay a year in advance if you find someone willing to take your money. Many a newbie horror story begins with “l gave them a year’s rent in advance and then....” Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of a family property dispute. Or you learn the person you gave the money to does not even own the house or had another several people also pay rent in advance. Of course, the “owner” is by then nowhere to be found. 

I'm with Xena on this one. My mum also said "There are two kinds of fools in the world... those that pay in advance and those that don't pay at all".

Don't be discouraged about rental rates or house prices. There's something for everyone. It pays to be persistent so become familiar with what's available and their locations. Then, you'll recognize what you want when you see it. Best of luck!

Archived