Chapala.com Webboard

New Sushi place, upstairst Plaza Bugambilias

ComputerGuy

Mr. Sushi checked out, and these guys checked in. Very pleasant service, although the ambience is minus 100, considering the noise of they gym and lots of kids playing the often very loud video games in the lobby. Pleasant enough service that they offered twice to redo poorly-done dishes.

Therein lies the rub. This is a Mexican sushi place, and I expected the rice to be over-cooked white rice, the kind used for beans. No saki or sushi rice wine flavouring, nothing like that. And 98% of the rolls come with creamcheese, a Mexican staple that is used when there is no flavour to be had with the ingredients.

The California roll, ordered as a "test", did come with slivers of shrimp, although those slivers were so tiny the roll had to be deconstructed to find them. Presentation was okay, but we spent entirely too much time pointing out the differences between what we were served and what the pictures on the wall show. For example, the salmon roll came with paper-thin but lovingly applied slices of fish on top, but the picture showed a roll jammed with salmon. After lengthy discussion, we began to be served picture-matching stuff. Made for a much better experience. Still, with the type of rice used, you'll have to be ready to just live with it.

The most expensive roll was $110p, and it was delicious, because it had fried crab and breaded shrimp and an eel sauce. (Still, that rice...); and that is not sushi, but whatever, it was tasty. And I ordered tuna sashimi, and I have to say it was very nice... nicer than stuff I had up in Canada this summer at a "proper" sushi place. Many thin strips laid out on designer cucumber slices, and only 70p. So there are hidden secrets at this place. Agua frescas were 15p, as were soft drinks.

I like to eat lunch out more than other meals, and once, I tried the place upstairs serving the burritos.  Once was enough, not because of the food (which was fine), but the noise and general chaos was just not okay.  Too bad the sushi place is making its start there.  It's much more enjoyable to stay downstairs and have lunch at Chopsticks!:P

Archived