Chapala.com Webboard

should we allow dogs to be offered for sale on furry friends

Lexy

on our  forum "let's talk about our furry friends" a dog breeder has offered a yorkie for hundreds of dollars, and made a sale. i for one don't think this forum should be used as free advertising space to sell high priced dogs.

mod 2 had reason to think it was ok, but i'm hoping he reconsiders.  i don't believe he really wants to see more dog sellers using this forum as ad space and promotional copy running into hundreds of words.

this newbie member and dog breeder is actually now protesting some posters' opinions.

i really have nothing against a legit and responsible breeder selling their high priced dogs, just not on this forum intended for discussion, guidance, advice on pets--and especially for finding homes for needy dogs and cats.

the thread  is:  "yorkie puppy looking for a good home" on our furry friend forum. i've expressed my opinion there on this matter.

lexy

I disagree these forums are supposed to be a place for those living in the area to get information etc. There is nothing wrong with  a person choosing to buy a puppy instead of adopting one .If you do not wish to purchase a pure breed that is your option. If you restrict the forum to only provide information on things you believe in you destroy the value of having a forum.

Disallowing posts whose sole intention is to sell something so as to put money in the poster's pocket is not restricting information on things you may happen to agree or disagree with. I also didn't think it was allowed to use the forum as free advertising for one's business. I have seen other posts taken down for exactly that reason.

Quite apart from the fact I find it distasteful to sell high priced dogs in a community loaded with needy (free) dogs, there are many local outlets for people to sell anything from refrigerators to rottweilers and I think it is unnecessary and inappropriate to use this column to sell puppies. 

We have a section for this type of ad, "pets and supplies" in the for sale section of this board and I should have moved the post there.  Your criticism is accepted and I apologize for the error.  Not sure why I went brain dead on this one but there you go.

Also, as the proud ownee of two mutt Maine Coons both adopted locally I always hope people will adopt rather than buy and discourage the breeding and sale of pets in a place that has far too many homeless ones.  Our own experience has been the mutts are much healthier than the so-called pure bred and make better pets, err OWNERS!  :)

The board does have a section for this in the for sale section of the board and it is requested that if one must sell pets to use that section only.

1 hour ago, kam said:

Quite apart from the fact I find it distasteful to sell high priced dogs in a community loaded with needy (free) dogs, there are many local outlets for people to sell anything from refrigerators to rottweilers and I think it is unnecessary and inappropriate to use this column to sell puppies. 

I heartily agree with Kam--no SELLING of pets anywhere on this forum when there are so many stray animals that need good homes!!!!!!!!!

Adopt, do not shop! The Ranch has so many dogs of all shapes and sizes as well as puppies, and, THEY ARE FREE!! Naturally any and all donations are gratefully accepted, however one can adopt a healthy dog which has been spayed/neutered and has all its' shots without taking out a loan. LOL.

Sorry to highjack this subject but I got my last dachshund from the Ranch. It was a street dog but it sure looked like a dachshund to me. Well he's getting old, partially white haired and deaf and does not have much time left. So I am looking for a new dachshund to adopt, hopefully while my old one is still with us.

Sorry, and back to the topic. Thank you Moderator 2 for your actions. I will now post this in the correct topic listing of

Let's Talk About our Furry and Feathered Friends

Thanks Mod-2. Advertising stuff for sale - just about any stuff - has a place in the Classified section of this forum. With the closing of Anita's Animals, local shelters are scrambling to keep up. Those of us who volunteer with animal welfare, be it individual rescue, or shelters or spay neuter clinics... have our hands quite full all the time, but especially now.

I have also been active in the Purebred Fancy and have no problem with people buying well-bred, purebred kittens or puppies from responsible hobby breeders. There are accepted places to market these animals. When someone who is clearly a backyard breeder starts selling on a public forum not meant for that purpose, like Lexy, I am not pleased.

Sorry to interject as I will never sell nor buy anything on this forum.  I live kinda far.

Over the years I've invited strays home with bad results.  They had bad habits.  

Not all dogs are good dogs.  I see them in shelters and a few seem okay.  I doubt all of them were thrown out due to the price of croquetas.  Some were never paid attention to, have stinky personalities, or perhaps found guilty of some misdemeanor, like letting themselves be transitioned from pups to dogs.  I believe those are the majority of your shelter dogs.

IMO it's your state of mind that accepts a dog for being a dog.  Street people seated the sidewalk probably aren't too choosy who that dog is.  He's a mate and good company.    

Also we have dogs and choose our dogs for any number of reasons.  I like the fluffy puppies with bangs and big eyes that serve as chick magnets down at the park on weekends. :)

Mine is a Lhasa Apso,  the dumbest dog who has ever crapped in front of the door every day for 10 years.  He doesn't bark.  That's why he's my dog.  If I go somewhere for a few days and leave him with a friend he will stop eating.  That's another reason he's my dog.  

Archived