Chapala.com Webboard

TOP 5 Restaurants

SYSY

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

rafterbr, did you mean El Huerto Café in Riberas? If so, you should also know that they serve a nice selection of the best salads lakeside.... and many other excellent lunches and breakfasts. 

Yes, this is my favorite place for an old fashion English Tea

On 1/2/2019 at 8:48 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I knew you couldn't resist. I wonder if the naming of a place like La Huerta is just one of those colloquial things that sound pretty. But this one is Lo Huerto, so...

Lo Huerto is not correct Spanish.  It might well be El Huerto, but it isn't Lo. 

I just Googled it and am looking at their menu.  If it's the place in Riberas, it's just Huerto--no El.  
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g2371486-d8046199-i240326271-Huerto_Cafe-Chapala.html

La huerta (feminine) is larger, usually commercial vegetable, fruit growing plot versus el huerto (masculine) is a smaller garden by someone's house. ????

and ....Huerto Café in Riberas is a good place for lunch .

That is as I understand it.

Tastes are very personal.... and if you ad a good ambience , good service, no dogs ,no smokers and no loud music, the choices are pretty limited.:rolleyes:

On 1/6/2019 at 9:55 AM, More Liana said:

Lo Huerto is not correct Spanish.  It might well be El Huerto, but it isn't Lo. 

I just Googled it and am looking at their menu.  If it's the place in Riberas, it's just Huerto--no El.  
https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g2371486-d8046199-i240326271-Huerto_Cafe-Chapala.html

That may be so, but their sign outside says Lo Huerto. Now, my Spanish isn't great, but when you use "Lo" in such a case, it means a big THE. As in, "I am THE computer guy". Like lo mejor: THE best.

16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That may be so, but their sign outside says Lo Huerto. Now, my Spanish isn't great, but when you use "Lo" in such a case, it means a big THE. As in, "I am THE computer guy". Like lo mejor: THE best.

First, regarding the meaning of "lo": https://www.spanishdict.com/guide/using-the-neuter-article-lo-in-spanish

Second, here are some photos of Huerto Café's signage.  Not a "Lo" in any of them.  Do me a favor, next time you're out that way, take a picture and post it.  I want to see the "lo".

Huerto Cafe 3.jpg

Huerto Café.jpeg

Huerto Café 2.jpg

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I will. It's on a plastic banner promoting their ribs, I think. As for use of the word lo, I can only tell you again I am no Spanish expert, but it's used around here to mean what I described.

In the usage you describe, "lo" is used exactly as shown in the first example in the link I posted last night--it's not just local usage. 

However, in the example in the link as well as the example that you mention, it's the use of "lo" followed by an adjective.  In the case of Huerto Café, what you tell us is that it is "Lo" Huerto--and Huerto is a noun, not and adjective.  There is no such Spanish construction as "lo" followed by a noun.  Look at all of the examples in the link: in every case, "lo" is followed by an adjective.  

I am eager to see your photo!

Just for fun, per Google translate:

Huerto = orchard

El huerto = the orchard

Lo huerto = the garden

I see Tango is listed as a good restaurant. I disagree but hope them well as they seem to attract the kind of diners that I avoid. I just again ate at Cosinart and had a wonderful meal. Never have I had a less than spectacular experience there. I also ate dessert, something I very rarely do and tried the Creme Brulee many here rave over. It was an orgasmic treat.

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I will. It's on a plastic banner promoting their ribs, I think. As for use of the word lo, I can only tell you again I am no Spanish expert, but it's used around here to mean what I described.

Here is a couple of pics promoting their ribs.

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage and textImage may contain: food

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Lo huerto = the garden

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

Google translate is always correct, not.

Just for fun...

Huerto = orchard

El huerto = the orchard

Lo huerto = the garden

Huerto=orchard
El huerto=the orchard
La huerta=the garden, or the orchard
Lo huerto=you're nuts.  I thought *I* was nuts, so I tried your Google term.  Nope, YOU'RE nuts.

Archived