Chapala.com Webboard

Why do you belong to this board?

bdlngton

I use it as a resource to learn about the place where we plan to retire in a year or so. We can only visit so often right now. Collecting the various thoughts and impressions of others is the next best thing. That's why I read many more posts than I write.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ned small said:

keep going modeeper, ya got the clique frothing and babling, hasn't he gringal and gary[chillin]? Where's the rest of the crew? What's the weather like in Guadalajara,it's quite sunny here now.

I'm just sittin here on the dock of the bay.  Is it a slack tide there at the lake?

6 hours ago, modeeper said:

I write Christmas and birthday greeting card prose for a living.  I come here to steal poetic statements I could possibly adapt for use for the cards.  More over Hallmark!

I'm surprised you can make a living. I know Hallmark does not appreciate misspelled words. :D

7 hours ago, Islander said:

I would not be so hard on people who used to live lakeside but moved to other place for whatever reason and still participate on this board . Like RVgringo,  Moreliana , Puppysmarket, and such.....and even some posters living in other areas in Mexico can have a good and knowledgeable comments here. Especially if their "other half" is a Mexican nationality.

There are lots of posters here that try to give a good advice and share experiences . I  have learned a lot from them in the past 15 years and would like to thank them. It is especially useful for us who do not live lakeside full time but are part time residents (although part-timers are hated here by many-- over past 18 years we have lived lakeside longer than people who live here full time for 6-7 years )

There are also people who love to criticize what ever is said, acting superior, needing to win their argument and they are basically useless here. They also like to treat it as an entertainment platform to pontificate their "smarts". I just skip by these.

I see basic questions from people who are registered on this web board for dozen of years so it is not just useful for newbies .

Sometimes the questions are posted the way the new arriver think that he/she is entitled to get an answer they expect and cannot comprehend  that things are not done here the same way as NOB . I suspect that they might not last for very long.

Very legitimate question "Bdlngton.".

I can see you're what language teachers call an L2, English as a second language.  You're doing very well.  

Members who.  Who is for people, that is for things.  

1 hour ago, Brian Dalziel said:

self-promotion or ridicule others

Oh then we both have pet peeves.  Mine is people who never learned 5th grade grammar.  People in glass houses ...

Mostly helpful people on this forum.     

I am a computer geek and I enjoy the  advice that I get from Computer Guy.  

Although I can understand why many move to Chapala for the weather, even with 3 feet of snow in my backyard, I realize how lucky I am to be living where I am.    You may have guessed that I am a skier and a dirt bike rider

44 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Lotsa dirt to ride here Doug, and without the three feet of snow.  Yikes!

Also we get to ride year round.

:)

I access over 100 miles of set dirt bike trails from my front door.    I prefer snow over dirt for skiing.     I have ridden in Mexico (Baja and Copper Canyon) and love it.    Thinking of doing it some more, but would like to learn Spanish first

Reading the posts here seem like it is part of my day. I greatly enjoy keeping up with what is happening lakeside, be I here or up North.

I made an offer on a house in 1996 subject to the sale of my Seattle home and came down for four months in 1997.  Luckily Internet was available as of May 1997. We had Laguna-net dialup at half the speed of normal dialup. It was fantastic if that is all you had up north.  And this forum came along when?  Maybe 2002 or so?

Now I am here most of the year and consider this my home.  I suspect that this forum would be considered part of my social life. I can and still do learn so much. So thank you all for posting here. Now if that great weather page, the Chapala Weather net were only still on line, I would have everything.

Below is the information I heard from a friend who volunteered to help with the software. He  believed but did not know for sure but that at first everything seemed to be going well. But the old owner said we needed all new equipment, the person who offered to help sponsor this apparently backed out because of the cost thereof.

Whatever the reason, I am sure that there are many of us, that had we know,  would have offered to help fund the equipment.

Whatever the reason I shall miss this fantastic Chapala Weather net.

6 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Before Chapalaweather Pete used to go down to the malecon and toss a brick with a piece of string to measure the lake level. He is a weather geek.

Actually I got rubber boots and when the water started to come up and reach the front and lowest pier, I called that zero and every Friday would measure the level above that point as the water slowly began to rise.  I would post same on what was then popular, the Mexconnect web board. Luckily several years later, the Government began to post daily lake levels on their webpage and I was able to retire.

47 minutes ago, johanson said:

Luckily several years later, the Government began to post daily lake levels on their webpage and I was able to retire.

The lucky part is that I have a wetsuit now, and can borrow some scuba gear. I wanted to play a practical joke on you and put rocks where you measured - and then start taking them away.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

The lucky part is that I have a wetsuit now, and can borrow some scuba gear. I wanted to play a practical joke on you and put rocks where you measured - and then start taking them away.

• To funny, Chillin

I remember Mexican workers  with a pickup truck, actually gathering sand and other rock debris from near and under the pier to be used at a construction project at one of their homes

The reason I frequent this board is to gather information about the area, people, government, and experiences from the people who live or have lived there.

Definitely love the lively back and forth from some of the posters.

I have visited the Chapala area 3 times in the past two years and will definitely continue to do so.

My plans are to one day retire in Mexico and this forum gives me insight regarding this area; you could help me make an informed decision in the future.

Thank you all for your comments and I will continue to appreciate this board.

Sincerely,

The Who (Julio)

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the question starting this post... seems to have drifted from the inital topic though ?

I found this board while researching retimement location options.  Criteria: affordable, safe, access to quality healthcare, moderately warm to hot temps.  

After learning of Lake Chapala, I realized I could provide my father with a retirement living option (he’s in Canada).  But if I’m going to help him relocate, its crutial that I learn everything I can about living in that area for seniors.   Anyone care to share their thoughts about living there?

3 hours ago, LisaTravel said:

Loved the question starting this post... seems to have drifted from the inital topic though ?

I found this board while researching retimement location options.  Criteria: affordable, safe, access to quality healthcare, moderately warm to hot temps.  

After learning of Lake Chapala, I realized I could provide my father with a retirement living option (he’s in Canada).  But if I’m going to help him relocate, its crutial that I learn everything I can about living in that area for seniors.   Anyone care to share their thoughts about living there?

LisaTravel, with that question you'll get as many opinions as there are people living here.  Best thing to do is to come for an extended visit (at least a month or more) yourself, and walk around the different neighbourhoods.  Rent a casita or stay at a bed and breakfast place, hang out at the local coffee shops and restaurants, visit the shops and tianguis, and just talk to people.  Definitely more helpful than listening to some of the commenters on this webboard.

Before I moved here, I did a ton of research online, but my best information came from staying in the village for a month, and learning what it was like to live here first-hand.  I moved here over three years ago, and have no regrets!

Archived