Chapala.com Webboard

Why do you belong to this board?

bdlngton

I am wondering why people participate in this forum.  I suspect the majority live at Lake Chapala.  I would suspect the second group is people considering moving here (although sometimes I question why they would want to given how contentious discussions can be in this group.)  A smaller group is those who once lived here but have since removed away.  The smallest group seems to be a few who don't live here and have no plans to ever live here, even sometimes being disdainful of this area and those who do live here.  It is the last two groups I have identified that have me wondering about their intentions, especially the latter.  

To clarify, I have lived here for over 12 years.  I moved here because I have always loved Mexico since my first visit in 1967.  I have travelled widely in Mexico and studied in DF, Guadalajara and Morelia.  I am highly proficient Spanish.  It was always my dream to retire in Mexico although I thought it would be in Morelia.  However in looking at what I wanted in my retirement I came to the conclusion that the Lake Chapala area offered me more of those things and I could travel to Michoacán in several hours.  For me this was the best choice.  So I participate in this group in order to learn more about my chosen home area.  Once in a while I am able to add to knowledge of the group but mostly I learn from others with more experience in many areas.  I don't consider myself an expert in any sense and I realize that despite my past experiences I have a lot to learn.  I appreciate that others are willing to share their knowledge with the group.  

So, why are you reading and/or posting to this webboard?  Please share with us.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bdlngton I think you would be the type of person that SHOULD be on this board.  Your approach has clarity, humility and wisdom.    Alas the bulk of humanity seems to fall into the complainer category.  I was very appreciative of the advise I received from this board over a dozen years ago and try to pay back in kind, which is why I post on occasion.:ph34r:

When I arrived here in Mexico 22 years ago (come May 1st), I had a lot of questions, didn't know the language yet and there were no internet forums. Got lots of experience under my belt and share it freely (although I could sure use some t-shirts ;)). There's a learning curve, on arrival, that goes straight up. I don't mind discussion and I don't mind debate because every one has an opinion. I do mind snide personal comments that have no basis. 

I moved to Mexico 14 years ago: the last ten here in Ajijic.  Someone referred me to this board as a good source of information about where to find things, where to eat, what to avoid and much more.  I've appreciated that and contribute what I've learned when it might be useful to others.

I don't appreciate posts that slip their personal politics into the mix, with snide.  I don't like hearing the snarkiness that comes from a sense of superiority and/or contempt for others.  Fortunatley, the mods stop most of it before it escalates into open warfare.

It's somewhat amusing to read super-newbie posts from folks who got their knowledge of the area from Facebook and such, and are clueless about how things actually work here: so different from NOB.  But, one should be kind to newbies; we were there once, too.B) 

^ Just joking! 

Indulge me please I feel the need to tell y'all all about meself. 

I'm a Leo, 6' tall, 175 pounds, hazel eyes, a full head of flaxy blonde hair and a set of original pearly teeth.  I like walks on the beach with the right type of woman, fine Merlot slightly chilled and dine on French cuisine.   I am very very very very athletic and once played forward in The World Cup.  

I am apolitical, well-educated at Harvard Law.  I have an FM voice and perfect pronunciation.   I collect helicopters and Lear Jets.  I bathe four times a day.  I've never been married but have fathered 14 children, all well cared for.  

I am extremely fluent in all Romance languages.  I have published five books, mostly about my time as a 2-star general in the French Foreign Legion. 

I am British, as if it didn't show.  And have stared in many British films.  Most people would say I am handsome. In fact I would say I am handsome.   

That's all you get for now.   

1 minute ago, modeeper said:

^ Just joking! 

I'm a Leo, 6' tall, 175 pounds, hazel eyes, a full head of flaxy blonde hair and a set of original pearly teeth.  I like walks on the beach with the right type of woman, fine Merlot slightly chilled and dine on French cuisine.   I am very very very very athletic and once played forward in The World Cup.  

I am apolitical, well-educated at Harvard Law.  I have an FM voice and perfect pronunciation.   I collect helicopters and Lear Jets.  I bathe four times a day.  I've never been married but have fathered 14 children, all well cared for.  

I am extremely fluent in all Romance languages.  I have published five books, mostly about my time as a 2-star general in the French Foreign Legion. 

I am British, as if it didn't show.  And have stared in many British films.  Most people would say I am handsome. In fact I would say I am handsome.   

Beauty! Welcome to the border promotion gang on here and the other local board. I think I saw you on bachelor in paradise you lucky dog!

I would not be so hard on people who used to live lakeside but moved to other place for whatever reason and still participate on this board . Like RVgringo,  Moreliana , Puppysmarket, and such.....and even some posters living in other areas in Mexico can have a good and knowledgeable comments here. Especially if their "other half" is a Mexican nationality.

There are lots of posters here that try to give a good advice and share experiences . I  have learned a lot from them in the past 15 years and would like to thank them. It is especially useful for us who do not live lakeside full time but are part time residents (although part-timers are hated here by many-- over past 18 years we have lived lakeside longer than people who live here full time for 6-7 years )

There are also people who love to criticize what ever is said, acting superior, needing to win their argument and they are basically useless here. They also like to treat it as an entertainment platform to pontificate their "smarts". I just skip over these.

I see basic questions from people who are registered on this web board for dozen of years so it is not just useful for newbies .

Sometimes the questions are posted the way the new arriver think that he/she is entitled to get an answer they expect and cannot comprehend  that things are not done here the same way as NOB . I suspect that they might not last for very long.

Very legitimate question "Bdlngton.".

43 minutes ago, modeeper said:

I write Christmas and birthday greeting card prose for a living.  I come here to steal poetic statements I could possibly adapt for use for the cards.  More over Hallmark!

You will suffer no shortage of pithy quotes with Ned Small around.

2 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

You will suffer no shortage of pithy quotes with Ned Small around.

And that gringal bird has some velvety output as well.  I have an image of her like someone who'd be Thor's main squeeze dressed in translucent Thai silk.    

35 minutes ago, modeeper said:

One feature that irks me - not only on this forum but on almost all forums - are the ppl who come on and ask a question.  Then you give them an answer they don't like and they rag on you for it.  Makes me want to say, yo dude, you came to us remember?

Another problem is the logon john faceless nameless personalities.  

I was once a mod on a Thai teacher's forum.  We had lots of card-carrying troll types posting, Brits mostly.  But it's a small nation (kingdom actually) any over the years I met lots of them in Bangkok where we partied.  None of them were the people they appeared to be as posters.  And that's good cause it's much better to be a good person in real life than whatever personality we have chosen for our "onlineselves."

I dunno about that Thor.  Such an egomaniac.

Have you considered offering an online persona that's at least a little bit like whoever you actually are?  I know some of the people who post on here and they sound much like they do in "real" life. (Whatever that is.)

11 minutes ago, gringal said:

I dunno about that Thor.  Such an egomaniac.

Have you considered offering an online persona that's at least a little bit like whoever you actually are?  I know some of the people who post on here and they sound much like they do in "real" life. (Whatever that is.)

Whomever you are .. sorry it's the English teacher in me.  That's who I am.  

You know some of us are trees and some of us are leaves.

My folks were travelers.  I first went to Mexico in about 1949.  What were you doing in 1949?

And .. I don't post on every thread.  When I see something I know about I offer opinions.  I have no idea where you can go in Ajijic to save a few pennies on a full tank of gasoline, nor the closest place to buy a half kilo of bird seed.  Do you see me posting there?

So you think I'm egotistic and snarky.  Well cry me a river.  I'm different than you, get it?  You can think up and post all the titles you want.  I'm not the least bit concerned what rural small town old people think of me.  You'll never meet me.  What's your worry?  As the Brits say, haters going to hate.  Face it, I know more than you about ALL things related to Mexico outside of Lakeshore.  I've lived in 15 countries, mostly ThridWorld.  I didn't go there as ignorant deaf or blind.  

1 hour ago, modeeper said:

^ Just joking! 

Congratulation. What an achievement!

Then, you forgot to mention that you've presently moved to a little dirty hick town in middle of Mexico and try to entertain few gringos on Chapala webboard. Bravo....

2 hours ago, modeeper said:

^ Just joking! 

"He's the most interesting man in the world" He doesn't always drink beer but when he does, he drinks Dos Eqius.

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I asked a lot of q.'s on this board when we moved here in 2008.  Now, I like to think I can answer a few q.'s for others.   Though I still ask a fair share of q.'s.  

I agree with this also, we moved here in 2007. I read and learned a lot here and still do and try to help out also.

But I don't have to post on every thread or have the last word like many on here.

2 hours ago, modeeper said:

One feature that irks me - not only on this forum but on almost all forums - are the ppl who come on and ask a question.  Then you give them an answer they don't like and they rag on you for it.  Makes me want to say, yo dude, you came to us remember?

Another problem is the logon john faceless nameless personalities.  

I was once a mod on a Thai teacher's forum.  We had lots of card-carrying troll types posting, Brits mostly.  But it's a small nation (kingdom actually) any over the years I met lots of them in Bangkok where we partied.  None of them were the people they appeared to be as posters.  And that's good cause it's much better to be a good person in real life than whatever personality we have chosen for our "onlineselves."

Queendom actually,long live the Queen and her proper English.

4 hours ago, Islander said:

I would not be so hard on people who used to live lakeside but moved to other place for whatever reason and still participate on this board . Like RVgringo,  Moreliana , Puppysmarket, and such.....and even some posters living in other areas in Mexico can have a good and knowledgeable comments here. Especially if their "other half" is a Mexican nationality.

There are lots of posters here that try to give a good advice and share experiences . I  have learned a lot from them in the past 15 years and would like to thank them. It is especially useful for us who do not live lakeside full time but are part time residents (although part-timers are hated here by many-- over past 18 years we have lived lakeside longer than people who live here full time for 6-7 years )

There are also people who love to criticize what ever is said, acting superior, needing to win their argument and they are basically useless here. They also like to treat it as an entertainment platform to pontificate their "smarts". I just skip by these.

I see basic questions from people who are registered on this web board for dozen of years so it is not just useful for newbies .

Sometimes the questions are posted the way the new arriver think that he/she is entitled to get an answer they expect and cannot comprehend  that things are not done here the same way as NOB . I suspect that they might not last for very long.

Very legitimate question "Bdlngton.".

I don't mean to be hard on those who have left the area.  My only concern with those posters is that sometimes the information they give is outdated and/or no longer valid.  Things change, even at "backwater" Lake Chapala ?.

Archived