Chapala.com Webboard

Visitor arriving - Query re: monday Market

Natasha

First-time visitor coming Sunday, but Monday plans now down the tubes due to statutory holiday.

Is it worth taking her to the Monday Market in Sunrise Restaurant? Not usually my thing, but need to find

fun things to do to fill that time slot.  What is best time to arrive?   Thank you

Won't the Monday tianguis in Chapala be open during the holiday?  Not everything closes.  A typical Mexican market on wheels will give her a hit-the-ground-running look at a completely traditional way of doing things in Mexico.  

I also suggest the Chapala tianguis on Monday morning, followed by a liesurely walk through downtown Chapala, pausing for churros, and then a stroll, with people-watching, along the malecon & lunch at Restaurante Cozumel (good food & free margaritas).  They will be happy and will sleep well, as will you.

To make it easier, I suggest that you use a taxi from home to the Chapala tianguis. Then, you can walk south through Chapala Centro, and explore the mercado publico, on the way to the malecon.  After your late lunch, you can either taxi, or take the local bus back to Ajijic, if that is where you came from.

2 hours ago, ned small said:

Yes indeed the Chapala tianguis which is about 4 times the size of the wed. in Ajijic with some of the same vendors but lower prices and they start setting up before dawn. they are always there holiday or not.

IMG_0899.jpg

The Chapala tianguis is a true community market, a real slice of Mexican life, unaffected by refugees from the countries north of Mexico whereas the Wed. market exists expressly for the northerners.

Just now, bdmowers said:

The Chapala tianguis is a true community market, a real slice of Mexican life, unaffected by refugees from the countries north of Mexico whereas the Wed. market exists expressly for the northerners.

Hardly.  This time of year I would guesstimate is 45:55 expats:nationals.  Rest of year, 30:70 expats:nationals.  It simply reflects the overall ratio in Ajijic of expats:nationals, and the huge numbers of winter NOB visitors who seem to prefer Ajijic over Chapala as their vacation spot.  

I go weekly, do you?

37 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

"Refugees"?

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Hardly.  This time of year I would guesstimate is 45:55 expats:nationals.  Rest of year, 30:70 expats:nationals.  It simply reflects the overall ratio in Ajijic of expats:nationals, and the huge numbers of winter NOB visitors who seem to prefer Ajijic over Chapala as their vacation spot.  

I go weekly, do you?

Bdmowers is totally correct whether you like it or not. And why should we go to the dinky market in Ajijic and pay more. It's just awful when something is better in Chapala town than the satellite village of Ajijic-eh!

So what if the Ajijic market now exists expressly for the northerners (which it does not). Disneyland exists expressly for tourists. This makes it wrong? This makes it less worthy? "My town is better than your town"? Get a life.

Appreciate the comments, all. I am not physically able any more to cover the ground required to do the Chapala market, which is why I asked about the teensy one. And I will be taking her to Abastos, so she can get quite an eyeful there as I drive between specific stops.

Also have to agree with Computer Guy -- Ajijic tianguis is wonderful for what I want it to be --- Pancho's veggie stall at bottom end. Go there, park nearby,  get stuff,  go back to San Antonio.  Not at all a rip-off and I don't have to see what I have no interest in, but it''s there for those who do.

So Monday morning, Monday Market it is!

46 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If the Wednesday market in Ajijic isn't a tourist market why are the prices there higher than the Monday market in Chapala or the Thursday market in Joco..?

Heck, it's not just the prices at Ajijic vs Chapala markets. I think the real tel-tel that most vendors post their prices in Chapala and many in Joco but the Ajijic vendors that post prices in those towns don't post them when in Ajijic. That's because they seize you up before committing to the prices on everything. You are much more likely to get treated fairly in Chapala, instead of getting gringo prices.

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

So what if the Ajijic market now exists expressly for the northerners (which it does not). Disneyland exists expressly for tourists. This makes it wrong? This makes it less worthy? "My town is better than your town"? Get a life.

You DO seem a bit upset.  You might want to turn down the Assume Dial just a bit?  Keep the stomach acid below the acid reflux level? Just a thought.

11 hours ago, geeser said:

Heck, it's not just the prices at Ajijic vs Chapala markets. I think the real tel-tel that most vendors post their prices in Chapala and many in Joco but the Ajijic vendors that post prices in those towns don't post them when in Ajijic. That's because they seize you up before committing to the prices on everything. You are much more likely to get treated fairly in Chapala, instead of getting gringo prices.

Well, I guess that's another advantage of speaking Spanish. You listen to the prices quoted to Mexican customers and you'll soon know if you're being ripped off. Me -- I've dealt with Pancho for a long time,    I know the family, and even though I always ask him the prices in advance, I never feel like he's taking advantage. He even gives me a little break on many things  :D

12 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

If the Wednesday market in Ajijic isn't a tourist market why are the prices there higher than the Monday market in Chapala or the Thursday market in Joco..?

Asked and answered. Repeat: it is a tourist market. Repeat. So what? Go somewhere else.

11 hours ago, bdmowers said:

You DO seem a bit upset.  You might want to turn down the Assume Dial just a bit?  Keep the stomach acid below the acid reflux level? Just a thought.

Talk about over-responding. Hey, you can try to make me sound like you, but we're not buying it.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:12 PM, ComputerGuy said:

"Refugees"?

I am amused and enlightened by the reference to refugees. It now occurs to me that we are getting refugees from the US. Some of our refugees are fleeing from impending tyranny, others are fleeing because of finances. We are getting some pretty strange bewbies.

1 hour ago, ajijiccharlie said:

I am amused and enlightened by the reference to refugees. It now occurs to me that we are getting refugees from the US. Some of our refugees are fleeing from impending tyranny, others are fleeing because of finances. We are getting some pretty strange bewbies.

Ay Charlie, that's what they said about us when we got there, too.  :lol:

On 2/4/2018 at 8:22 AM, ajijiccharlie said:

What an interesting piece of journalism is would be to see someone`s study of this.  I imagine there would be at least a dozen reasons. Your 2 reasons plus just the word getting out more about our slice of paradise.

Archived