Chapala.com Webboard

recommended vehicle?

MNMichelle

Jo

53 minutes ago, johanson said:

I was told that in Mexico, the dealers have one price and that they do not give discounts. Am I an expert on the subject?  Heck no. I was thinking that in another year or so that I would buy another car. WAS I WRONG?

Yes they give discounts and very good one, and free insurance and also throw in extras.  I was amazed.  And they will drive the car to you, all registered.  What is not to like. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

56 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

Jo

Yes they give discounts and very good one, and free insurance and also throw in extras.  I was amazed.  And they will drive the car to you, all registered.  What is not to like. 

That is correct  they offer you all kinds of perks to get you to buy from them. As well as deliver the vehicle to your home and spend the time going over the vehicle with you.. Those perks go to you not S&S.... S&S  is a business .. And in business to make money..

People get brainwashed into thinking  you need S&S to help you,  buying a vehicle in Mexico is much eaiser than NOB. It seems to me that most of the dealerships have English speaking sales people.

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Moodeeper... I guess it just feels that way to us, but I guess that we are just wrong about you.

Yeah right :mellow:.  Frankness runs in the family.  The family is from a city of ten million dogs fighting over the same bone.  Should I behave as if I was born into someone else's family, perhaps from a town of 200 where the Bingo parlor is the weekend hot spot?  But it's easy to see you are one of the "good" ones.  

46 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

most of the dealerships have English speaking sales people.

That for me is a red flag.  One thing I have seen since long ago is that THE sleaziest most dishonest Mexican folk are English speakers as businessmen, especially lawyers.  

I've given corporate English classes in GDL for 10 years off and on.  I don't mean to say I disliked my students, I did like them, but you spend a lot of time with them, and you constantly have to come up with discussion themes.  There were very very few controversial subjects that met differences in opinions, nothing like NOB.  Their biggest concern was how to be - or better - to give the impression they were gentlemanly and honest.  That's the vocab they most wanted to master.  After a class, after a few drinks, it was easy to see they weren't what we might call gentlemanly.  

They liked this one bar called, La Maestransa.  The bartender would supply magic markers and sheets of paper to the boyz seated at tables.  On the paper they'd write numbers 1 through 10.  As women walked in the crowd would grab one of those numbers and hold it high above their heads.   You can guess what those numbers meant.  

We used S&S to buy a new Toyota and were completely happy with their service. Great people to deal with and to me their service was well worth whatever they were paid by the dealer. They took us into town, helped us pick out exactly what we wanted, got some things thrown in by the dealer, had it delivered to us, went over the car when we received it, got the plates for us and took it into the dealership for the first scheduled service. 

I definitely could have done all that myself but chose not to since S&S was available. They are definitely in business to make money - it is not their hobby. All businesses expect to make a profit - including auto dealerships. Even if I could have saved a few bucks by doing everything myself I feel I got great value by using S&S. The good news is that we all get to make these types of decisions for ourselves.

6 hours ago, modeeper said:

I remember seeing your car on a link on Yahoo .. the 10 worse cars to buy.  No joke.  

I'd nix employing some agency to find a car.  He'll just take you to his brother's lot.  If there is nothing for you there he'll take you to his cousin's lot.  If he takes you to a lot where he knows nobody he'll cut a commission deal with the manager while your back is turned checking out cars.  If he turns you over to an English-speaking salesman it's even worse. 

There's a website called, Segundamano.  Find one you like and have a local friend call and cut a deal for you.  Rule of thumb, minus at least 20% from asking price.  And remember The less it's been in the hands of a local mechanic the better off you'll be.

You're in one of the top 10 most corrupt nations in the world .. you know that right?

You do not live at Lake Chapala, if I understand correctly, therefore you probably have no experience buying a vehicle through S&S Auto nor know anybody who does.  Your comment maligns a local business with many satisfied customers and a good reputation.  Please feel free to state exactly where you live and what your experience buying through S&S Auto is to convince us you know what you are talking about...or are you just convinced you know more about living in Mexico, and more specifically at Lake Chapala, than many on this webboard.

15 hours ago, johanson said:

I was told that in Mexico, the dealers have one price and that they do not give discounts. Am I an expert on the subject?  Heck no. I was thinking that in another year or so that I would buy another car. WAS I WRONG?

That is what SS told me also, in fact it is illegal to do so! Or so I was told... 

A MAJOR plus: However one must bear in mind that he has more clout if you have a problem with the vehicle than if you are a sole purchaser. They want to keep him coming over to do business with them!

I don't know about whether it is illegal to give a discount.  However, we called the Honda dealer and spoke with a salesman on the phone who quoted us a price for a Honda Fit.  It was the same price that was given us by S&S, however, when we arrived at the dealership we wound up paying less that what was quoted as they said there was a discount for that particular week.  We were happy to accept it and it was a surprise as they all knew we were willing and thinking that we would be paying the full price that had been quoted.  Also, S&S arranged for a new Honda Fit here at Lakeside for us to test drive so we didn't have to go into Guadalajara until we knew that was what we actually wanted.

Oh God!  It just never stops.  Nope I don't live nor have ever lived in a White retirement community since I arrived in Mexico as a grad student who did a dissertation on Mexican family values for the Department of Anthropology at the University of Washington in 1981.

Yes, I have a good idea what it's like there in Ajijic.  And I have many musician and artisan friends who have spent lots of time there.  That's why you don't have to go there to know there.

No, I've never used the services of SS.  But you don't have to go there to know there.  But it's obviously a niche as a business endeavor aimed at White people who don't have the strength nor the conditioning  nor the language skills to walk around looking at cars.   More power to them.  It's a pretty good idea.

Yes, I see myself as much more in tune to Mexico and Mexicans than just about any Ajijicer who never got the idea he/she wasn't in their country any more and have learned all they know from their maids and The Lonely Planet.

Should I be humbled and give deference to people who live in bigger homes than my lil rental and have retirement checks that put my SS payments to shame?  Is it all about money with y'all?  Is there something amiss with sitting on curbstones eating tacos with the folks you see as laborers?  If you'd ever been anywhere, done anything, you would have met lots of people like me.  I think it's called, no sense of irony.  Y'all came here to retire cause it's cheep and has an agreeable climate.  I came here and stayed here to fill up with Mexico and Mexicans.  Ajijic isn't on my bucket list.

If you check my posting over the past years you'll have to agree between my lines of snarkiness  you'll see I have given a good effort to help folks with dealings with the locals.  I've been here more than half my life.  Not only been here but have lived in the real Mexico in eight states.  All things being relative I just might see many of y'all as tourists who brought their furniture.  

There is an ignore function, bd.   Or maybe just whine to the admin and get me banned, again :mellow:.  Is that more like the avenue to rid yourself of people who aren't just like you?

Oh, vehicle .. buy a VW Beetle.  Any mechanic can fix a Vocho.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

He is convinced he is some kind of tin god and that the majority of Mexicans are to be reviled. He is unwelcome here, and probably most places he goes (if they let him out, that is).

Sup moose?  My enemy's enemy is my best friend, eh? 

3 hours ago, Wookie said:

I don't know about whether it is illegal to give a discount.  However, we called the Honda dealer and spoke with a salesman on the phone who quoted us a price for a Honda Fit.  It was the same price that was given us by S&S, however, when we arrived at the dealership we wound up paying less that what was quoted as they said there was a discount for that particular week.  We were happy to accept it and it was a surprise as they all knew we were willing and thinking that we would be paying the full price that had been quoted.  Also, S&S arranged for a new Honda Fit here at Lakeside for us to test drive so we didn't have to go into Guadalajara until we knew that was what we actually wanted.

And S&S could quite possibly have paid the same price had you had purchased through them that same week.  I know that a friend of mine who bought through them said they did get her the car at a reduced price from what was originally quoted.  Whether S&S negotiated that reduced price or if there was a special that week I do not know but she was happy to pay less than anticipated and with her overall dealings with S&S.

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

How much of a percentage off list did you actually buy it for? Did it include them doing all the paperwork?

S&S takes all the pain out of buying a car here. You will get exactly what you want with all the paperwork done and in your hand - They deserve to be compensated for this service. They are HONEST.

If you want to do all the leg work yourself  you can save a couple hundred dollars. Is it worth it?  I got 5K (pesos-we are in Mexico so stop thinking in dollars!) off a Mazda CX5 and a 6 year extended warranty. My mechanic, who went with me, got some kind of commission. I don't know or care. I am told that all the dealerships are owned by the same people as is common in Mexico. Do they have discount weeks, possible. They often have a loss leader on the floor at a deep discount if it is what you want. 

If you try to sell a foreign plated car here , it is work and you open yourself to liability if you don't do it right. Yes, I have done it.

RickS provides a service of buying cars to take cars north for sale. He is fair and honest.

In general, Mexicans are tough business men. If you think you are going to screw them you will probably come out the loser. Be fair and you'll be treated fairly.

34 minutes ago, HarryB said:

If you try to sell a foreign plated car here , it is work and you open yourself to liability if you don't do it right

I went to the registry with questions about how to sell my plated car.  The lady seemed more than qualified.  She said there are three things I can do; sell it for junk to a licensed junk yard, import it or remove it.  Once you apply for the temp permit the ser# is attached to you.  

When or if an accident happens the driver is responsible for all damage or loss of life.  If he cant meet the challenge they come looking for you.   That would be a nightmare ... setting in a cell while my bank card is in the hands of some cop, praying that his removal of my max daily withdrawal limit will end sometime this month.

14 hours ago, johanson said:

That's been my experience. One dealer price. No discounts (well they may throw in floor mats). Same price at all dealers. You must have the car serviced at the dealer you bought the car from or the warranty is voided.

How's that for consumer protection!

SunFan

56 minutes ago, HarryB said:

S&S takes all the pain out of buying a car here. You will get exactly what you want with all the paperwork done and in your hand - They deserve to be compensated for this service. They are HONEST.

If you want to do all the leg work yourself  you can save a couple hundred dollars. Is it worth it?  I got 5K (pesos-we are in Mexico so stop thinking in dollars!) off a Mazda CX5 and a 6 year extended warranty. My mechanic, who went with me, got some kind of commission. I don't know or care. I am told that all the dealerships are owned by the same people as is common in Mexico. Do they have discount weeks, possible. They often have a loss leader on the floor at a deep discount if it is what you want. 

If you try to sell a foreign plated car here , it is work and you open yourself to liability if you don't do it right. Yes, I have done it.

RickS provides a service of buying cars to take cars north for sale. He is fair and honest.

In general, Mexicans are tough business men. If you think you are going to screw them you will probably come out the loser. Be fair and you'll be treated fairly.

If you don't have a car it is a bit more complicated to go to Guadalajara to shop for one unless you hire a driver to take you around or have someone else to do that for you or pay a taxi.  For many using the services of S&S is worth the time and money,  especially if they can bring a model you are interested to Lakeside to test drive.  While I do drive my car in Guadalajara I don't  think I'd be very comfortable driving a brand new car that doesn't belong to me.  Something I'd take into consideration when it comes to car shopping.

Harry, who is RickS?

Dealerships most definitely do give discounts since I received a 5,000 peso discount from the listed price.  I used S & S.  The discount was offered by the dealership.

Very well put, Harry.  The only valid comments about a local business of any kind can only come from people who have dealt with it directly.  I'm a well satisfied customer of S&S auto.  Good service.  This is something of a unique market in Lakeside and they found a need and filled it.  Many people here are not so fit physically as they once were, and doing the rounds of car dealers in Guadalajara would be challenging.  For them, S&S is a great alternative.

Comment on the Honda FIT:  It's not going to be a luxury ride and care must be taken going over the topes, but for getting around town, it's just right.

Re the poster who was asking about the services of Rick S.:  He posts on this web board, so you can probably PM him.

1 minute ago, gringal said:

This is something of a unique market in Lakeside and they found a need and filled it.  Many people here are not so fit physically as they once were, and doing the rounds of car dealers in Guadalajara would be challenging.  

Is there an echo in here?

Archived