Chapala.com Webboard

recommended vehicle?

MNMichelle

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mazda has a large presence in Mexico.... you should have no problems getting parts from either them or auto parts stores.

With respect to bringing a foreign plated vehicle into Mexico.... I assume that you "know all the rules"..... one of which is that you cannot sell it to anyone once in Mexico.

There is an auto agency in the area which helps customers to select a vehicle. They will take people to the various dealers in Guadalajara for test drives.  They have a number of different vehicles on their lot.  We bought a Honda FIT there in 2010 when we were required to dispose of our U. S. plated vehicle in order to go to Permanente status.  They ordered the car with the features we wanted and since then, have taken care of yearly licensing for us.  This small car has surprisingly ample room for most purposes since the back seats fold down (hatch back).  The main feature we like is that it is easy to maneuver on the narrow streets here and can take advantage of the smaller parking spots. It gets excellent gas mileage and has required little maintenance. The agency is S&S auto, on the main road next door to the Puritan Poultry store on one side and "Have Hammers" on the other.  Mountain side of the road in San Antonio or Riberas (not sure which town.)

I remember seeing your car on a link on Yahoo .. the 10 worse cars to buy.  No joke.  

I'd nix employing some agency to find a car.  He'll just take you to his brother's lot.  If there is nothing for you there he'll take you to his cousin's lot.  If he takes you to a lot where he knows nobody he'll cut a commission deal with the manager while your back is turned checking out cars.  If he turns you over to an English-speaking salesman it's even worse. 

There's a website called, Segundamano.  Find one you like and have a local friend call and cut a deal for you.  Rule of thumb, minus at least 20% from asking price.  And remember The less it's been in the hands of a local mechanic the better off you'll be.

You're in one of the top 10 most corrupt nations in the world .. you know that right?

Modeeper is really out to lunch on this one. Spencer at S&S has arrangements with a large number of dealers in Guad as well as with a very few reputable used car dealers. He has helped literally hundreds of expats navigate the process of buying a new car and the service he offers is painless. The commission on new cars is paid by the distributor in Guad so no extra cost to you. I have purchased one car through S&S and one on my own. My next car will be purchased through S&S. It's not worth the hassle doing it yourself when you can have someone help you select the car and then deliver it to your door with plates and all the paperwork complete, imho.

You can bring your car, by all means if you have a temporary visa. You can drive it for 4 years at which time you have to drive it back out, sell it or donate stateside, fly back and buy a Mexican plated car. But not, I hope, from any of the local agencies who profit from those who know little about how the backhands work here. Try to find one from a private owner and get a reputable (yes there are some) mechanic to check it out first. You can buy US plated vehicle insurance through an agency in San Diego and replace plates once yours expire by sending your docs to the State of South Dakota, who will issue you plates. That's why you see so many SD car plates locally. Good luck in any case.

Just now, conejorapido said:

Modeeper is really out to lunch on this one. Spencer at S&S has arrangements with a large number of dealers in Guad as well as with a very few reputable used car dealers. He has helped literally hundreds of expats navigate the process of buying a new car and the service he offers is painless. The commission on new cars is paid by the distributor in Guad so no extra cost to you. I have purchased one car through S&S and one on my own. My next car will be purchased through S&S. It's not worth the hassle doing it yourself when you can have someone help you select the car and then deliver it to your door with plates and all the paperwork complete, imho.

By now, most of us recognize a pot stirrer who does so for the sheer fun of it.

6 minutes ago, conejorapido said:

If you decide to go with buying a car here you will be very happy with S&S. Hassle-free car buying and wonderful service. We bought both of our cars from them. Honda CRV and Honda Fit. We love them both but I find the Fit perfect for getting around town.

2 minutes ago, IMBurnen said:

You can bring your car, by all means if you have a temporary visa. You can drive it for 4 years at which time you have to drive it back out, sell it or donate stateside, fly back and buy a Mexican plated car. But not, I hope, from any of the local agencies who profit from those who know little about how the backhands work here. Try to find one from a private owner and get a reputable (yes there are some) mechanic to check it out first. You can buy US plated vehicle insurance through an agency in San Diego and replace plates once yours expire by sending your docs to the State of South Dakota, who will issue you plates. That's why you see so many SD car plates locally. Good luck in any case.

I understand that only Clay County in South Dakota issues these.  Yes, you can drive your U.S. car for four years.  If you're lucky, one of your relatives will come and take it off your hands for a nicely discounted price.  I was lucky that way.

I haven't been addressing the people who are looking for a used car here; only those planning to buy a new one.  I'd be very leery of buying used, but yes, a reputable mechanic is the way to go if that's your route. Locating a  "reputable mechanic" can be tricky, though.

The above recommended car dealer doesn't do it for free..and I wouldn't expect him to. He gets paid a commission. He uses a few dealers that pay him.. If you don't want to use a dealer that he selects he doesn't want to deal with you..

If you want to do your own leg work you can save his commission and get a better deal....

31 minutes ago, gringal said:

, a reputable mechanic is the way to go if that's your route. Locating a  "reputable mechanic" can be tricky, though.

What's even more tricky is to define reputable.  Look, once you walk into the life of a mechanic (in this case), he automatically knows something important about you; that you know diddly about the mechanics of a car, or motorcycle, or lawnmower.  Otherwise you'd have fixed it yourself.  If every :() unfortunate John has been paying this guy 10X what the work is worth he'll charge you the same.  You guys like to go on about not paying mordidas so the poli won't learn to count on them. 

My good friend and mechanic - although I'm perfectly qualified to do the repairs myself - gets 50P an hour, and he loves me (Platoniclly of course).  Very few of these "mechanics" have ever studied the finer things like fuel injection, none of them have a certificate of excellence or a licence like we have NOB.   What they do have, in most cases, in a shingle that says. MECHANIC.  So since you are there with him and he knows that you don't know he has the blessing to charge you whatever he wants for changing a part.  Which brings us to the difference between a parts-changer and a mechanic/repairman (they fix parts).  A chimp can change a part, a mechanic is highly trained.  

Here a tale-tell test for your mechanic:  Ask him if he owns a torque wrench.  If he does he's one in a hundred.  A mechanic without a torque wrench is like surgery without hemostats. 

17 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

The above recommended car dealer doesn't do it for free..and I wouldn't expect him to. He gets paid a commission. He uses a few dealers that pay him.. If you don't want to use a dealer that he selects he doesn't want to deal with you..

If you want to do your own leg work you can save his commission and get a better deal....

Bingo!

When I purchased a new car from S&S autos, I did not pay more than the suggested car dealer price. I paid the dealer price and the car dealer paid S&S a commission that was supposedly the same as they would pay one of their salesmen, should he sell the car at the dealership, at least that is what I had been told by people I trust

No the discount you should be getting goes to S & S.  A dealership told my friend this, so then bought it directly and he received the discount.

you can get a better discount going shopping yourself after all aren’t most  of us retired and watching our money.  I rather it be in my pocket and some dealership will also give your one free year of full insurance coverage.

17 minutes ago, daisy2013 said:

No the discount you should be getting goes to S & S.  A dealership told my friend this, so then bought it directly and he received the discount.

you can get a better discount going shopping yourself after all aren’t most  of us retired and watching our money.  I rather it be in my pocket and some dealership will also give your one free year of full insurance coverage.

On the other hand, the thought of going to Guadalajara and checking out the dealerships makes me willing to save money some other way.:wacko:

I was told that in Mexico, the dealers have one price and that they do not give discounts. Am I an expert on the subject?  Heck no. I was thinking that in another year or so that I would buy another car. WAS I WRONG?

2 hours ago, gringal said:

By now, most of us recognize a pot stirrer who does so for the sheer fun of it.

You sure like to throw the word troll around, eh?  Trolls upset the tranquility, eh.  THEY DON'T TRY TO HELP FOLKS BY POSTING ADVICE AND EXPERIENCES ACQUIRED AFTER 35 YEARS IN MEXICO, EH.  

Couple of thoughts:    Gringal, Clay County is NOT the only county in South Dakota that will provide a SD title and license. It's just the only one that most of you know about... and probably the easiest to work with per my experience with them.

Pete,  Guadalajara car dealers can and will offer discounts.... most people will argue this point but....

Moodeeper... I guess it just feels that way to us, but I guess that we are just wrong about you.

Archived