Chapala.com Webboard

Replacement Car Title

Carrol

If you mean the original factura with the dealer's stamp and hologram that you received at the time of purchase, then you may be in a real pickle; whoever possesses that document, for all intents and purposes, has ownership of the vehicle. 

If you mean the tarjeta de circulacion, then you just need to replace that. That process is much more simple and S&S Auto could help you out. 

10 hours ago, sioux4noff said:

If it is the factura that is lost, be prepared for a long and expensive process.

Off the top of my head I think, but not sure, you are correct. I also feel it would be the car dealer that would be involved to create a new/duplicate factura not the state registers office, but don´t know as the registers office only took a copy of the original factura. It might not be possible as people here guard them as if they are gold and probably don´t misplace them as they know what is involved. Hopefully the OP has a copy of it. On the other hand it might not be a big deal at all. Who knows but considering forgeries are common in Mexico they seem to want any important document safeguarded from this problem. Lazer logos and embossed stamps and such even on the most unimportant documents as a paid traffic ticket I got in Baja one time 10 years ago. I see these on many documents here.

If a factura is lost then you must do a court action to get a judgment of possession, it is a pain and takes many months, one case took over a year.  Some try to cut corners and do fake facturas but then if there is an accident, total loss or theft then the insurance company wont pay and your cheap option then leaves you penniless

Archived