Chapala.com Webboard

What Closed Restaurants Do You Miss the Most?

Bisbee Gal

Speaking of Hidalgo........I did use to enjoy many of the items on the limited menu of Club Hidalgo. It always seemed like a comfortable place for a beer and a light meal and eventually for breakfast on Saturday mornings with the open mic entertainment. It got so popular they had to look for more space and lo and behold, remember Sr. Azul? Didn't last long, they couldn't recreate the Club Hidalgo magic and DeWayne Blackwell lost his voice........and the kitchen had muchos problemas.  Thanks for the memories. 

I used to enjoy it there, too. A little funky, and on weekends always populated with old-fart gringos dancing with young Mexican women. A little weird. But often good live music. That's where I met Noe and his band. And the songwriter who owned the place...

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I used to enjoy it there, too. A little funky, and on weekends always populated with old-fart gringos dancing with young Mexican women. A little weird. But often good live music. That's where I met Noe and his band. And the songwriter who owned the place...

Actually I think Bob and Ernie owned Club Hidalgo but DeWayne put up much of the money for Sr. Azul, which was named after his long ago hit tune, "Mr. Blue". He wrote that song as well as many others including "Friends in Low Places" which was a Garth Brooks hit. He and Jerry Mayfield went to Nashville and actually recorded a few cuts with Garth, one on which DeWayne sang lead and Garth backup. DeWayne knew his real talent was in writing but he still loved to sing and used to do a remake of FILP that he called "Pains in Low Places". I still have one of his CD's that also include one he wrote called "I Hate Rap". (...and it don't go good with beer on tap."

You are absolutely correct, sir, although I didn't know that much of the history. Sat every so often with DeWayne, perused the hit records on the wall. I did a few rounds with Jerry at his place years ago, with all his recording equipmen, and dear wife Sally.. Not musically: computer repairs. Nice guy. Lived up in Brisas at the time. Whoa, back in 'oh-nine.

No it wasn't what I was used to either having lived in the Middle East for many years with a wide variety of restaurants, but still thought it was better than Pedro's.First thing I do in the states is find arab groceries and restaurants...

15 hours ago, gringal said:

The Secret Garden is alive on Colon.

Pedro's Gourmet moved up on the hill for awhile, but Pedro is running GO restaurant now,  which is a block off the Carretera, mountain side, in central Ajijic.

Are you thinking of the Peacock Garden?  Maybe you haven't been here long enough to have known the Secret Garden.  I don't think GO ha s the same menu as Pedro's Gourmet did.

15 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Secret Garden on Colon???  Are you confusing it with Peacock Garden???  Or has Secret Garden risen from the dead??  Secret Garden was vegetarian with a bakery out front, cozy courtyard seating.  Just off the Plaza on Hildago.  

Pedro's Gourmet didn't really just move.  Pedro completely revamped the menu when he reopened as Pedro's Go in Upper Ajijic (and since relocated to M. Castellanos and now named Go Bistro).  The menu at the old Pedro's Gourmet was huge...not at all like what he has now or on Upper Ajijic.  I like them both, but the Gourmet menu was more fun, lots more choices.  Gourmet was open for lunch and dinner and was at that time the best bargain around for very good food.

I should have read your post in response to Gringal's response to my post before also responding as we said essentially the same thing.  I believe the Peter who had the Secret Garden now sells mostly pastries at the Tuesday market.  I liked the menu, especially the fruit soups, at Pedro's Gourmet.  I donty know if does those at GO Bistro.

José's Illusion.  What a great place, and what a truly great guy.  His story, which he recounted to me in depth while we sat over soft drinks at his original location in a local near SuperLake, still gives me chills.  Courage, stamina, and love of family made him who he is.  His fantastic cooking was just one of his facets.

9 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Are you thinking of the Peacock Garden?  Maybe you haven't been here long enough to have known the Secret Garden.  I don't think GO ha s the same menu as Pedro's Gourmet did.

I've been in Mexico 14 years: Ajijic for ten of them.  Yes,  I do remember the Secret Garden and enjoyed it. I missed trying Pedro's Gourmet, so don't know if the menu changed when he opened GO.  I liked his menu at his original location; went often.

This thread made me think back in more detail about Pimienta Negro.  It must have been late 2003, when they had their last special dinner, before they wound down.  It was an interesting group. We sat next to Justin Hauser, later of All-In-One Realty, and his gorgeous date, the daughter of the owners of the furniture store in Chapala, which is now Muebles America. They, the parents, were seated on the other side of us & kept a close eye on the young couple. The guests were varied and Spanish, Farsi, Arabic, French and German were heard around the circle of tables. The gardens were still open, and a large palapa had been erected, with oriental carpets hanging as walls to enclose the area in Middle Eastern manner. They were provided by an Iranian guest, a Persian Carpet dealer from Guadalajara. The food and entertainment were quite good, and the belly dancer & musicians were, as always, the highlight of the evening.

Sadly, at that time, 9/11/01 was still very fresh in the memory of the American contingent in Ajijic, and anti-Islamic sentiments were at a peak among them, and especially the many Jewish residents of Ajijic. As such, Pimienta Negra was suffering an almost total lack of daily diners. I think that we were possibly the rare, maybe the only Americans at that last event.  Soon, the young couple moved closer to DF, where they planned to open another restaurant somewhere in, or near Cuernavaca. I wonder if they ever did that.  Such eclectic gatherings were rather common back then, but seemed to have faded quit a bit in the following decade.  Those large, often annual private parties in both restaurants and people‘s homes were great opportunities to meet new peopla and re-connect with old friends.  Of course, the internet was just an infant and “social media“ was not yet part of anyone‘s language or experience.

Asi estaba........

El Serape - for the Chumarro

Pedros Gourmet - the original location, we love GO but still long for the liver and onions on OCampo and Pedro Moreno

Jose's Illusion

Magana's for fish tacos and then the meatloaf plate

Real restaurants ,with a little atmosphere...a wine list ...” reasonable service “...a consistent kitchen? Somewhat...we’re in Mexico...A bar that can make a good cocktail....a little pizzazz maybe.....Number 4.."..........Manuel’s......and occasionaly.  Laurent........

Archived