Chapala.com Webboard

What Closed Restaurants Do You Miss the Most?

Bisbee Gal

59 minutes ago, liquipure said:

Jose's Illusion and El Sarape.

Roberto's at the Lakeshore

St Peter's (for music)

la Taverna in Ajijic when it was good.

I forgot about St.Peters...one of the first places we went to here.  

8 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Jose's Illusion

60's in Paradise

Early Bird Cafe

Secret Garden

Pedro's Gourmet

Magaña

Hole in the Wall for tamales

The Secret Garden is alive on Colon.

Pedro's Gourmet moved up on the hill for awhile, but Pedro is running GO restaurant now,  which is a block off the Carretera, mountain side, in central Ajijic.

18 minutes ago, gringal said:

Pedro's Gourmet moved up on the hill for awhile, but Pedro is running GO restaurant now,  which is a block off the Carretera, mountain side, in central Ajijic.

Secret Garden on Colon???  Are you confusing it with Peacock Garden???  Or has Secret Garden risen from the dead??  Secret Garden was vegetarian with a bakery out front, cozy courtyard seating.  Just off the Plaza on Hildago.  

Pedro's Gourmet didn't really just move.  Pedro completely revamped the menu when he reopened as Pedro's Go in Upper Ajijic (and since relocated to M. Castellanos and now named Go Bistro).  The menu at the old Pedro's Gourmet was huge...not at all like what he has now or on Upper Ajijic.  I like them both, but the Gourmet menu was more fun, lots more choices.  Gourmet was open for lunch and dinner and was at that time the best bargain around for very good food.

36 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Secret Garden on Colon???  Are you confusing it with Peacock Garden???  Or has Secret Garden risen from the dead??  Secret Garden was vegetarian with a bakery out front, cozy courtyard seating.  Just off the Plaza on Hildago.  

Pedro's Gourmet didn't really just move.  Pedro completely revamped the menu when he reopened as Pedro's Go in Upper Ajijic (and since relocated to M. Castellanos and now named Go Bistro).  The menu at the old Pedro's Gourmet was huge...not at all like what he has now or on Upper Ajijic.  I like them both, but the Gourmet menu was more fun, lots more choices.  Gourmet was open for lunch and dinner and was at that time the best bargain around for very good food.

You're absolutely right.  I need another cuppa coffee.  Secret Garden, not Peacock Garden.  I miss Secret Garden, too.  I never made it up the hill when Pedro had the Gourmet place,  and have been to the GO Bistro only once.  It was a busy night; they were out of some dishes and the noise level was high.  I miss his original location from years ago. 

2 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Los Cincos Potrillos is still open, but food and service have never been the same after the untimely death of the owner and his widow taking charge.

Yep and too bad, that.  It used to be a near mandatory stop on the way home when picking up at the airport during afternoon or early evening hours.

23 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Jose's Illusion, by far. I didn't realize what a treasure of quality Middle Eastern food they served until they were gone. Excellent service, too.

Yeah, you probably remember the only other ME restaurant I was aware of in the area, and I forget the name but they were in the same location Pedro's took over. Corner of Juarez and Hidalgo in Ajijic. The food was not to my taste, nor my wife's, but the pita bread was pretty good. Too bad they couldn't make hummus, there was so much garlic in it it took your breath away at first taste. Pedro moving in was an improvement and being only a block away from our B&B we sent many guests down to him. Never sent a single guest to the ME place but being the only one in the area many people gave it a try.

ME restaurant was at the corner of Aquiles Serdan and Ocampo.  where Pedro eventually moved in. Wife was Mexican and her husband Mexican- Lebanese and he learned to cook from his grandmother.  THeir Arab food was far superior to Pedro's.

And....The name of the restaurant on Ocampo was Pimienta Negra. That young couple were delightful and had a baby daughter shortly before they closed and moved away.  We enjoyed much of their food, but it is true that our home-made humus was better than theirs.  Once in a while, they brought down a belly dancer from Guadalajara and put on a special dinner for the occasion.

When Pedro moved into that location, which was quite near our house at that time (Ocampo #87), we did eat there a few times, but it did not satisfy. We never did try his newer locations with “GO“.

Thanks for the memories. 

9 hours ago, gringal said:

Truly, bdlington was referring to the old Pedro’s Gourmet on Ocampo...so easy to stop in, different ambiance. Go Bistro is pure Peter with great offerings as always, but also different.  And the Secret Garden was on Hidalgo, just down from the corner, vegetarian, great bakery goods that Georgina still sells at the markets...owned by her and husband Peter.  Can’t remember when it closed.

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

ME restaurant was at the corner of Aquiles Serdan and Ocampo.  where Pedro eventually moved in. Wife was Mexican and her husband Mexican- Lebanese and he learned to cook from his grandmother.  THeir Arab food was far superior to Pedro's.

Thanks for the correction on location, right on, I was a couple  blocks off and a dollar short! And I did suspect RV would remember the name and he didn't disappoint. We tried to like Pimienta Negra but having Lebanese friends in Houston we were used to a different standard. We also tried hard to like Pedro's and although we never had a "bad" meal there, neither one of us ever ordered the same thing twice. At least he had a big menu.

Archived