Chapala.com Webboard

WEDNESDAY MARKET IN AJIJIC

Dan M

It is called a “tianguis“ and is not actually a farmers market, but a mobile market with sellers who move from town to town on specific days.

Monday in Chapala, Wednesday in Ajijic, Thursday in Jocotopec, Sunday in Ixtlahuacan, etc.  You can expect to pay more in Ajijic.  I wonder why.  :rolleyes:

There will be ready to eat food at all of the tianguis locations. Tianguis are traditional weekly events, which may have been going on for......well, forever.

Those other “markets“ are recent additions, many organized by well-meaning expats in an effort to help locals. They pop up and sometimes vanish just as quickly. A few have managed to become a continuing event, but they are not “tianquis“.

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

It is called a “tianguis“ and is not actually a farmers market, but a mobile market with sellers who move from town to town on specific days.

Monday in Chapala, Wednesday in Ajijic, Thursday in Jocotopec, Sunday in Ixtlahuacan, etc.  You can expect to pay more in Ajijic.  I wonder why.  :rolleyes:

Yes, rumor has it Wednesday is their favorite day.  :D

Cronopio and RV said it all concerning "ready to eat". Quite unlike, of course, the packaged meals at say the Tuesday market west of town.

EDIT: I have to take exception with the notion that tacos and ceviche are "ready-to-eat": they have to be prepared just like any other food. Even food-chain burgers are not ready to eat until they're made.

The tianguis in Chapala, Ajijic, and Jocotepec are street-markets, historically a place to pick up some groceries and other needed items, like cloth, or creams, or fish, pots, or knick-knacks and toys. As pointed out, the merchants simply move from town to town. Many many more of them go to the Monday market in Chapala than you will ever see here in Ajijic. And prices are higher at our tianguis than in Chapala for most items.

The veg and fruit now mostly come from exactly the same distributors in Guadalajara, and are more often mass-produced imports than locally-grown stuff. Sales now have to rely on the ingenuity and careful eye of each stand's owner, for variety, freshness, and grade. (There are several "grades", for example with apples. Alphabetically here, C grade is lower quality than A grade, and costs less.)

Since tianguis really translates into market, or open-air market, or stall, or swap meet, it's fair to say that the Monday market is a tianguis. However, considering where we live, and what we know as street markets, I'd hesitate to call it such.

21 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Since tianguis really translates into market, or open-air market, or stall, or swap meet, it's fair to say that the Monday market is a tianguis. However, considering where we live, and what we know as street markets, I'd hesitate to call it such.

All I know is that they have a lady on the upper level who brings some tasty empanadas.

5 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

There is no such word as “tiangui“.  

The market held at Sunrise is not a traditional Mexican tianguis.

The only Monday tianguis in the area is in Chapala.

I'm sorry that I didn't know that 'tiangui' is not a word.  When I hear people say the word, it sounds like they're saying it without an 's'.  I assumed there was a singular version and a plural.  

And I was answering the question about ready-made meals.  They didn't ask if it was a traditional Mexican tianguis.  

• 1 month later...

Archived