Chapala.com Webboard

Barking dogs nuisance

Unfortunately our neighbors on all three sides of us have now acquired dogs which they are irresponsible enough to put out in their yards and let them bark night and day. I am talking about w Great Danes, an Afgan,  an Irish Setter and, to round out the chorus, three yappy little ankle nippers! We have tried asking the owners to take care of the matter with little or no success. Is there any legal recourse we have to try and get this under control?

You are pretty much stuck here if they won't cooperate.  To answer your question there's basically little law or enforcement here about anything, let along barking dogs.

I'm told there are anti-barking devices that can work, check with Julie Hensley ("Hensley" on this board) she had some success using one.

Otherwise if you are renting, you can always move.  Dog owners here seem more "deaf" than usual, they just can't seem to hear or grasp that everyone doesn't want to listen to their mutt carrying on constantly.  That includes both the locals and the expats.

A family set up a dog-training business next door to me a year or so ago. Pandemonium ensues daily. After discussions, they tried to keep it down, but when they are out, the howling is crazy. Luckily for me, I apparently was not the only "complainer", and they are moving west of town in a couple of weeks. So they say.

It has been a quadruple whammy, because those dogs set off every other dog within hearing, and so I am often surrounded by the noise, including the two guard dogs on the other side of me where a house has been under construction since last May. I did not make an official complaint to any authority about the dog business, but I wonder if they think I did...

I should start a "go fund me" page to make my good neighbour device. It measure decibel levels, whether dogs or music, and blasts back an equal decibel level of annoying noises. Working on the annoying noise list.:huh:

It has been a joy living next to a neighbour who adopted a police trained German Shepherd . It doesn't wander from the yard, never barks, but is trained to attack on command.

Given there are 200+ barking dog comments on this forum, I don't think a solution has been discovered. How well do you know your neighbors? If you own or have a long term lease you can't break, you will probably have to have frequent conversations with them regarding your concerns. No civil authorities are going to intervene. 

You can go to complain to the environmental office, but I doubt it would help much. Yet in Mexico what you expect doesn't happen so who knows?? Calls at 2 am to the offenders worked for me. The offenders just didn't seem to hear it. Once advised, they actually put the dogs in. 

Maybe 12 years ago when my bedroom in upper Ajijic pointed toward the upper fence separating me from the mountain or hillside woods.

Every night a wild or abandoned dog would come to the Fence and would bark much of the night. I tried everything to try to catch and help it, but failed.

Based on suggestions I purchased a battery operated noise maker that would respond each time the dog barked. Apparently the sound was too high for us humans to hear, but it bugged the dog and it found another spot to bark maybe higher up on the wooded slopes, far enough away that my device that apparently it no longer went off, and it was far enough away that it didn't bother me that much.

Soon thereafter I leant or gave it to someone else and don't know what it was called or who might have it now or whether it works in all situations. Maybe someone else might know if this would help in your situation.

You can google this subject about barking machines.  They do work in many instances as johanson says.  We have used one that worked the same way johanson describes on our neighbor's dogs in several places we have lived in the states and here at Lakeside.  The problem you run into is that many times you can't get the device as close as is needed for it to do it's work.  Some of them come with amplifier devices  that make the sound they emit go further.

Another thing that we did was talk to our neighbor in the States about their dog.  They agreed for their dog to wear a color around his neck that emitted a smell that he did not like each time he barked.  We bought the devise and changed the batteries.  After the second set of batteries ran out he no longer barked all the time so it was no longer needed.

One American neighbor here Lakeside when we first moved down had 3 dogs that barked all the time they were gone.  When they came home the dogs quit barking.  They were gone a lot and many times late at night.  I tried talking to them but to no avail.  I recorded the dogs for several hours.  When they got home I turned up the volume and played it back for the several hour time span.  I had to listen to it again also, but they took care to put their dogs in the house when they left after that and the problem was solved.

Sometimes you just have to be creative.  And, then again sometimes that doesn't work and you have no choice but to move and hope you are not jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.  There are condos here that have rules about pets and barking dogs that they enforce pretty good ... you might consider looking into that.

In any case, good luck and I wish you well.  By the way, I am a huge dog lover myself so it isn't that I have something against them ... just the owners that don't consider their neighbors.

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

At least it is quiet.

Oh I live in a horrible place.  Not a Gringo in sight till I look into the mirror.  No bars here, no night life, no old alkies drooped over a half-glass of Sherry drooling on themselves.  

If you are really irked with dogs barking - this if from Ecologia

Barking Dogs Procedure

Talk to Secretary of Ecologia in Chapala.

She gave us the steps to follow when a dog is too noisy and/or attacks:

·         Call to report it 7658025 (no English speaking, you will need a translator).

·         Provide the address where the dog is located.

·         They will go and inspect the address and leave a 1st subpoena, a second and a third one. After the third one if they do not show up at court then the Judge will fine them, or even give the order to take the dog away.

·         You have the option of collecting signatures from neighbors and present it at the Ecologia Office when making the report:

Francisco y Madero # 202 Second Floor Monday - Friday 9am-3pm

A few thoughts. When we lived just below the "street of barking dogs" in Las Brisias, we finally decided ear plugs and sound machines were the best options. Harry's idea of calling at 2 AM and saying "your dog is barking" sometimes works.

The bark deterrents that use sound waves work for one or two dogs who are roughly the same size in a confined area but not for multiple dogs on all sides.  The citronella spray collars only work if the dogs is not too bright. It took my Corgi less than a week to figure out that if he turned his head and barked over his shoulder, the spray didn't bother him. For him it took a lot of patient, persistent training that your neighbors are not likely to bother with.

What you have is an unfortunate combination of boredom barking during the day and a certain amount of fear barking at night. Google "boredom barking" for other ideas.

Archived