Chapala.com Webboard

Eyeglass Frames

Zeb

It appears no one has any recommendations.  I did stop by two optometrists, however, they don't have anything in small sizes, other than a few children's frames.  I did get a lead on a Fabrica de Lentes in Guadalajara.  Supposedly, there is a big area with tons of optometrists and related supplies.  Is anyone familiar with that?

I have gone by an optometrist/eyeglass shop in Chapala several time and as I recall they have a descent selection of frames.  I believe it is on Degollado several blocks east from Madero on the north side of the street I am thinking in the block(s) between DIF and the post office.  Please excuse any incorrect terminology. 

1 hour ago, Dab said:

Dr. Pinto, the optometrist in Riberas, has a selection at his office on the main carretera  (Hidalgo).

I did go there, and there is a good selection for others,  not for me.  They are all too large and cannot be ordered in smaller dimensions.  This is the problem in most places.

4 minutes ago, Lexy said:

the costo in guad has a very good selection in styles and price range. but there is that trip to guad...

lexy

There is a nice selection of frames at the little optical shop on the same strip east of Telmex in Ajijic  They do good free exams, too.  I've bought several.

9 minutes ago, gringal said:

There is a nice selection of frames at the little optical shop on the same strip east of Telmex in Ajijic  They do good free exams, too.  I've bought several.

That place has been gone for years.

1 hour ago, Lexy said:

the costo in guad has a very good selection in styles and price range. but there is that trip to guad...

lexy

Thank you Lexy.  They also have so little in small sizes.  I was there and asked.  Selection is plentiful as long as your face is not small.

Just now, Zeb said:

Thank you Lexy.  They also have so little in small sizes.  I was there and asked.  Selection is plentiful as long as your face is not small.

i can see you have a special problem. did you try ebay? an old pair of your frames will show the frame size usually on one of side bars.

2 hours ago, Lexy said:

i can see you have a special problem. did you try ebay? an old pair of your frames will show the frame size usually on one of side bars.

I will try all the places suggested. There was a drop down for the number of glasses desired.   I did look on e-bay, however, didn't see how to select the dimensions needed.   I tried two or three and there was no option for that.  Maybe I don't know how to search correctly.

On the bar between my lenses are the size numbers.  I take a 53/18.  That means the width of the front of the frame is 53mm and the space between the lenses is 18mm.  There may be a larger number on one of the temple pieces which denotes the length of the temple from the frame corner.  Each of these is really important to get a frame that fits your face.  Check the frame you have or have had that fit properly, then you will have a concrete place to start.

27 minutes ago, Lexy said:

yes, it can be a problem figuring out the size.  but to my surprise it can be done. tell an ebay seller of many frames your needs, is one suggestion. sorry i'm not more helpful at this point.

I think I did not communicate clearly about the size.  I have the size marked on my current glasses and was aware of that.  What I was trying to explain was that I don't see how to request that size on the items sold on E-Bay.

17 hours ago, sugarplumfaerie said:

I have gone by an optometrist/eyeglass shop in Chapala several time and as I recall they have a descent selection of frames.  I believe it is on Degollado several blocks east from Madero on the north side of the street I am thinking in the block(s) between DIF and the post office.  Please excuse any incorrect terminology. 

USSUAL Servicio Express

Degollado # 333

Chapala

765-3436

I've often bought new frames (and sometimes lenses as well) from FramesDirect online.  The website gives you specific instructions for plugging the measurements you need into a template for ordering.  The selection and customer service are excellent AND they ship very quickly to Mexico.  http://www.framesdirect.com.

I have also ordered from Zenni Optical: http://www.zennioptical.com  For online eyeglass service, they're also very good.

And Eyebobs.com has some interesting selections.  I haven't ordered from them, though: https://www.eyebobs.com

Archived