Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Mordida on Colombia Bridge Crossing - Highway 2


RickS
 Share

Recommended Posts

Decided to cross at the Colombia crossing Friday because the Bridge II crossing was having a 50 minute wait (according to the website) around noon. On the final part of highway 2 approaching the crossing I was pulled over by 2 cops in a truck. “You were speeding over 40kph” they said, never mind that I was still following 3 trucks I had been trailing for miles and was going their speed.

Decided to play dumb.... no habla espanol. So the English speaking cop took over. “You speed”. ‘No, I was not’. “Yes, I must give you a ticket” as he pretends to start writing out a ticket in his book. Then, “You can either pay here or go to the Police station”.  ‘Let’s go to the station I say’.  “It’s about an hour and 1/2 away” he says.   ‘Fine, I say, let’s go to the station’  “You sure.... do you have cash”?  ‘Yes, let’s go’.

With that they got in their truck, pulled up beside me and said, “You drive slow in the future”, GO!”

 

Edited by RickS
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2018 at 8:52 AM, RickS said:

No, US plated. They would NOT have stopped a Mexican plated vehicle IMO.

 

That's right!  Mexicans are never targeted for mordidas.  It's a brown on white thing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, modeeper said:

That's right!  Mexicans are never targeted for mordidas.  It's a brown on white thing.

I disagree, I see MX pulled over all the time and pulling out their wallets. Not too smart.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I try to shoot low but somehow that bullet finds its way up and over the head. 

Why is it "not too smart"  The mordida system has been in place since the colonization.  I happen to like it myself.  The more you dislike what goes on here, the more they dislike you.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually they target Mexicans in crappy cars as they usually havent paid their refrendo and are more easily scared.  The nicer cars realy nice ones if flashy are stopped as they think they are up to bad things

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quincena time seems to have much to do with it.  And place too .. the Periferico is a hot spot on the first and 15th.  Another factor is if they want your car or not.  For example if they hauled my car away I wouldn't bother to retrieve it.  That wouldn't do them any good; too old to be a good parts car or a hot item on action day.   

I'd say youngish Mexican boys are the hardest hit.                                                                                    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, modeeper said:

I try to shoot low but somehow that bullet finds its way up and over the head. 

Why is it "not too smart"  The mordida system has been in place since the colonization.  I happen to like it myself.  The more you dislike what goes on here, the more they dislike you.  

I don't and won't pay mordida, I just wait patiently for a ticket or they let me go, usually get pulled over for something they said I didn't do, just be polite to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hensley said:

I disagree, I see MX pulled over all the time and pulling out their wallets. Not too smart.

Ever heard of sarcasm?  Reread his statement and you will find an example that just jumps out at you like a rattler ! :D

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never I repeat never bay a bribe. First it is a crime. Second you do not need to. 40+ years driving in Mexico. Stopped many times (usually guilty of some infraction)  Never received a ticket or paid a bribe. I have always been polite, said I was sorry, and offered to accept a ticket.  I have been stopped by federales while doing 100 in an 80 zone. State police while doing 110 in a 65 zone, and talked my way out of the tickets. I apologized in both cases and with a smile and a handshake I was on my way. I have been stopped in US plated, and Mexican plated. Please do not pay bribes unless you want to then to continue their bad  and illegal behavior.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Never I repeat never bay a bribe. First it is a crime. Second you do not need to. 40+ years driving in Mexico. Stopped many times (usually guilty of some infraction)  Never received a ticket or paid a bribe. I have always been polite, said I was sorry, and offered to accept a ticket.  I have been stopped by federales while doing 100 in an 80 zone. State police while doing 110 in a 65 zone, and talked my way out of the tickets. I apologized in both cases and with a smile and a handshake I was on my way. I have been stopped in US plated, and Mexican plated. Please do not pay bribes unless you want to then to continue their bad  and illegal behavior.

OMG!  I couldn't disagree more.  Illegal!  OMG again!  You should have jotted down his badge number and reported him to the comandancia.   Those at the commander's office deserve a good laugh.  

You're not in your country anymore.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last time I insisted on a ticket I sat/stood in line for 2 hours to pay a 31 peso ticket, so I said to my self "Self never again will you stand in line to pay a ticket" 

I don't give a %#£€ what any of you say or think, I pay the nice policeman to go and pay the ticket for me.. One because I can afford it.  Two because I can't be bothered to sit/stand in line to pay the ticket myself

And I know the nice policeman pays the ticket for me because when I get my sticker I have no outstanding tickets... 

Something I've always wondered about when I read from people saying "I never pay Mordida, never have never would I always tell them give me the ticket..  

My question is .. If your in another state when/how do you pay the ticket..   Do you hang around for an extra day or so until you find out where to pay the ticket...? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You clearly missed my point. I have never been given a ticket. When they see you are from out of state, have a foreign DL, or a foreign plated vehicle, they know that you will never pay the ticket, so they just let you go. 

Also the second you hand a policeman money you are committing a crime.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2018 at 3:44 PM, modeeper said:

OMG!  I couldn't disagree more.  Illegal!  OMG again!  You should have jotted down his badge number and reported him to the comandancia.   Those at the commander's office deserve a good laugh.  

You're not in your country anymore.

Actually I am in my country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...