Chapala.com Webboard

Making streets

Does that machine do prep work, like trenching, laying down the new drain pipe, reattach the home water supplies, place manholes at the correct height, and make the sidewalks level? Once all that is done, the topping is easy and the new streets in Chapala are great in function and beauty.

Sorry, ma'am. I forgot to quote to whom I was replying to.

1 hour ago, Canyon Wren said:

We sure could have used this the last six months in Chapala centro.  But then again, if we'd had it, the street work wouldn't have taken six months...

Carry on the whining.

AgnesMcTavish wrote: Sorry, ma'am. I forgot to quote to whom I was replying to. Carry on the whining.

AngusMactavish, I suggest if you have nothing positive or interesting to post, you leave. You just make everything a pain. What is your point? Do you live for this? It would seem so.

And if you can't leave, at least employ some decent grammar so you don't sound like a complete ****.

That is an amazing piece of machinery.  Yes, it is only as good as what is under the brick and Mexico tends to build seriously poor roadbeds which, along with the grossly overloaded trucks and inferior quality paving materials, causes roads to begin crumbling in a matter of months after being "completed."  No better local example exists that the stretch of road running north out of Jocotepec out to the cuota that goes to Manzanillo.  That, along with the even more poorly built Jocotepec bypass are all too typical of the very poor free roads in Jalisco.

The good news you learn by traveling out of this state is that many Mexican states do a far better jobs on roads.  So far, we've only seen worse roads in the poorest states like Oaxaca and Chiapas for example.  One has to wonder why a rich state like Jalisco can't seem to build decent roads other than those pricey cuotas.

Chapala is doing such a fantastic rework of Zaragoza and Morelos that I worry they will resort to needing topes. They are concrete with a faux paver pattern. The sidewalks are level and even, matching the roadbed.

I am not a whiner by nature, but living with the disrepair, dust and lack of parking in centro Chapala since August 1 has gotten onto my last nerve.  It has taxed the patience of everyone.  And yes, I do realize that the street work is not just about laying the surface.   It's that other work that was done incorrectly the first (and second?) times that caused this work to take so long.  Guilty as charged, Angus Mactavish.

Be advised that the road work in Chapala Centro was the result of adding storm drains beneath them. The road surface is the last phase and has resulted in a street/sidewalk surface that exceeds by a wide margin other cities. If one has a problem with progress taking place here, go rent somewhere else.            

On 1/26/2018 at 6:30 PM, Mainecoons said:

That is an amazing piece of machinery.  Yes, it is only as good as what is under the brick and Mexico tends to build seriously poor roadbeds which, along with the grossly overloaded trucks and inferior quality paving materials, causes roads to begin crumbling in a matter of months after being "completed."  No better local example exists that the stretch of road running north out of Jocotepec out to the cuota that goes to Manzanillo.  That, along with the even more poorly built Jocotepec bypass are all too typical of the very poor free roads in Jalisco.

The good news you learn by traveling out of this state is that many Mexican states do a far better jobs on roads.  So far, we've only seen worse roads in the poorest states like Oaxaca and Chiapas for example.  One has to wonder why a rich state like Jalisco can't seem to build decent roads other than those pricey cuotas.

Agree!!  Totally...travelling to other amazing cities with  clean, decent roads, stop lights all functioning perfectly, sidewalks pedestrian friendly and repaired...one realizes as much as we  might love Ajijic...it still is and will remain so for a long time...a dusty little dirty town with nearly no maintenance of roads..ie: Revolution!!!!   (needs fixing and a stop light at the carreterra)  Or any safety traffic measures....      Between corrupt officialdom and a care less attitude of officials...it will NEVER become a Magico town....!!!    If given the grants....it will be misappropriated pronto I'm sure...     I live and own here, and hope to continue for a long time, but seeing other lovely places...points out how much work this town needs to be magical!!   IMHO        (oh boy, now watch for the criticism of my opinion)  

On 1/28/2018 at 3:01 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Be advised that the road work in Chapala Centro was the result of adding storm drains beneath them. The road surface is the last phase and has resulted in a street/sidewalk surface that exceeds by a wide margin other cities. If one has a problem with progress taking place here, go rent somewhere else.            

Yep, if you want to see progress in this municipio you go to Chapala.  BTW how is that bridge to Jesus looking?  :D

On 1/26/2018 at 4:16 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Does that machine do prep work, like trenching, laying down the new drain pipe, reattach the home water supplies, place manholes at the correct height, and make the sidewalks level? Once all that is done, the topping is easy and the new streets in Chapala are great in function and beauty.

Correct. We had our driveway in the states repaved and they went down at least 8 inches and put in sand. and then a crushed aggregate more sand for the bed before they put the pavers on as they were tamping all of it down  and then came the expensive material to put on the pavers to hold it all together. Was more than just sand. Some kind of sand based filler that would not let the water in and of course it was sloped a bit as to not to puddle.. It would cost a fortune to do it correctly. One never knows what will happen when they dig up the streets in certain areas here. 

Archived