Chapala.com Webboard

Had any one Way airline ticket problems recently?

court0503

Has anyone had a problem recently entering or leaving Mexico on a one-way ticket with a US tourist visa?  I’ve done this many many times myself but my son was stopped  by Volaris in Hartford 2weeks ago about his one-way ticket entering Mexico  & had to produce proof he had a purchased ticket exiting Mexico.(He was able to show his ticket on his phone leaving for China in 10days.

Again upon  departure ,Aeromexico at Guad stopped him because his ticket to China was one-way. They insisted  on proof he had a purchased ticket leaving China. He had none since his stay is indefinite.  He was forced to book a flight exiting China so there  at the check - in desk he used his phone and credit card t to purchase a random flight from China to Tokyo . With that proof of a ticket they let him through.  (Hopefully he’lll be able to cancel that  Tokyo flight )

something new ?  Different airline, different airports insisted tourist traveler can’t enter  a country without proof of  an exiting ticket. 

No this is standard. Many countries require a proof of exit and the airlines have to have the passengers screened before boarding a plane to any country because if they don´t and the passenger is refused entrance into  country because they don´t meet the tourist entrance  requirements the airlines have to pay for the next flight back to the country of the passport they used while they are held by immigration.

When forced to buy a return/exit ticket, buy a full fare full refund one, but not with a date that conflicts with your desire to be in-country. It, as you experienced, does not have to be to your home country, just one that leaves the country.

25 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

No this is standard.

I have traveled extensively in the last seven years between the US, Mexico, and Africa, and almost always with a one way ticket.  Various airlines.  And yes, often it will say that a roundtrip ticket is required.  But I have never been questioned or required to purchase an exit ticket.  

The past couple trips from here to the US and back, Expedia has issued 2 one way segments instead of a 1 roundtrip as they said it was cheaper. No problems on either end.

Cannot remember when I last purchased a round trip ticket for myself or other family members because we are rarely committed to more than roughly estimated return dates.   Most trips are to U.S. and back, some for Residente Permanente but also for turistas.    So far, no problem with Alaska, Volaris, Interjet, or American.

Archived