Chapala.com Webboard

Knife and scissor sharpening needed

I have tried all the variations of 800-866-877-888 numbers to call FREE using the 880-883-882-881 prefix and they all tell me that there is 'an international fee' to use them...so I hung up and gave up.   Or did I misunderstand that post about 'free' 800 numbers?

Since I do not know the fees and if calling someplace in Canada that will have a long wait time on hold...didn't want to incur some huge fee.   I cannot find that original post here but the information is wrong....just saying.....

most 800 numbers in the United States and Canada do not give free calling to the whole world rather the area covered is usually The US and/or Canada;

Telmex has a program where if you wish to connect to that free service that extends only to the Mexican border. Sadly they charge including tax almost 7 pesos per minute, regardless of your plan. So never phone a Canadian or US 800 number from here if you are using Telmex. Remember that Telmex has several plans including my $389 peso per month program that allows me to phone local numbers in some 50 or so countries including Canada and the US. Sadly as I wrote above, this plan does not allow you to phone the US or Canadian 800 numbers for free.

So I always try to find the local phone number of the Company I am trying to reach in Canada or the US or I use my Internet phone which has a Seattle phone #.

6 hours ago, dave0415 said:

Since your post said about knife sharpening I am at a loss why you would want to call Canada to find out. Explain por favor.

I'm as confused as you ?.  I do know an excellent sharpening service in Guadalajara but nothing about dialing toll free numbers in the US of Canada.  I hope the OP explains this post because it really has me wondering.

I do not know how the 800 #'s chat and my query about knife sharpening got all messed up here.  ????????

But...all I want to know is who locally can sharpen my knives and scissors?  I do not want to drive to GDL for such a service! 

Or I can wait til the Chili Cookoff and they will do it at the Ojeda knife booth.

I do not know how the 800 #'s chat and my query about knife sharpening got all messed up here.  ????????

But...all I want to know is who locally can sharpen my knives and scissors?  I do not want to drive to GDL for such a service! 

Or I can wait til the Chili Cookoff and they will do it at the Ojeda knife booth.

I've been this route. You may find a butcher who will do them. I asked Joseph at Puritan Poultry a few years ago, and he willingly obliged. Problem was, he simply used a steel. A good cutter rarely needs a sharpening service, because they keep them sharp. So the edge wore off in a couple of days.

I did the same with the knife guys at the Chili Cookoff. Same result. I did a lot of research, and discovered that quality sharpening tools are not damaging to your really good knives. And there are lots of inexpensive dual-sharpeners that... while they do take some tang off... will keep your knives sharp for years with no loss of cutting value.  In fact, look at the knives a good butcher used: they are often completely bowed, because they have been steeled so many times.

Nothing is available around here like that, but Amazon and other online stores can be used in a pinch.

I use this one and love it.  I've had the same one for 20 years or more, it doesn't wear out and it keeps my 50-year-old carbon steel Sabatiers like scalpels.  (50 years?  Yikes!  My mother gave them to me in 1968.)
https://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-ACCU-001C-001C-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517105515&sr=8-4&keywords=hand+held+knife+sharpener

Archived