Chapala.com Webboard

Las Cabañuelas - they're back

Kevin K

Thunder and rain this morning and according to Weather Underground much more to come, with heavy rain and the coldest temperatures of the season. Brings back memories of rained-out Chili Festivals and such from Februaries past.

Good article on what is after all a regular winter occurrence more often than not (as we tend to forget after just one winter like last year's when we dodge the cabañuela bullet).

https://www.expatsinmexico.com/las-cabanuelas-is-a-mexican-way-to-predict-the-weather/

This is what causes me to think a significant portion of the New Expat Wave will not be here a couple of years from now. Many seem set upon knowing and experiencing via Facebook and web boards exactly what life here will be. They seem to be creating a set of expectations that will not be met in reality. They rely on strangers perceptions and memories, dooming themselves to disappointment. I am so grateful to have moved here with little idea of what life here would be like and discovering It day by day.

9 minutes ago, Xena said:

This is what causes me to think a significant portion of the New Expat Wave will not be here a couple of years from now. Many seem set upon knowing and experiencing via Facebook and web boards exactly what life here will be. They seem to be creating a set of expectations that will not be met in reality. They rely on strangers perceptions and memories, dooming themselves to disappointment. I am so grateful to have moved here with little idea of what life here would be like and discovering It day by day.

Agree.....we did too...and are still happy discovering it....with all its variations!  smile

There were definite advantages in moving to Mexico before the advent of internet and cellphones.  Actually, I think that applies everywhere, since there are no living people to be found; just zombies walking around with their heads down, thumbs twiddling their “devices“.  Soon, they will be riding in self-driving cars and have more time to twiddle their inconsequential existence away.

You guys didn't read the article? This is an ancient way of telling the weather here.

Thanks, Kevin. I was just telling someone about this but really didn't know the specifics. When I first moved here, there was rain in mid January and a local explained what the fishermen used to say it meant. He told me a long story about it. The particular date of the rain was meaningful. This article seems to be recounting that system. So thanks again.

35 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

OK, here it is:

Accurate weather forecast for Lake Chapala, North t's Shore: Mostly nice on most days.

That's it exactly.

I seriously doubt people will leave because of some occasional showers in January.  Most I suspect find it welcome because it knocks down the season dust if only for a short while.  If it is chilly here it is a whole lot colder up north.

In Oaxaca at the moment, we've had two periods that have been pretty chilly and our artisan friends from this area tell us it has been highly unusual.  We encountered zero Centigrade temps in Mineral de Monte a mountain Pueblo Magico NE of Pachuca.  Not a problem except that neither hotels or any of the restaurants appeared to have any heat.  Wonderful place with a really neat story but check the weather carefully before you go at this time of year.

Mild in Patzcuaro last week but by the time we got to Peña de Bernal very cold there too.  Another really nice Pueblo Magico, fairly high up as well.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, Xena said:

Huh?  How does Kevin's post or link lead to this?

Weather expectations. People forget from year to year. Then other people rely on what they say. Guess you have not been reading all the expat pages on Facebook. They ask if the weather is really perfect, believing whatever they are told. Sorry if the leap was too broad. 

A mexican friend told me a poem about the weather here, but, I'm too old to remember it. The only one I remember is if Sr (Mt.) Garcia has his sombrero on , it will rain in the next 24 hours,

Well for certain there are no places NOB other than super pricey Southern California coastal cities where the weather begins to approach the quality we have here.  Even then they have months of fog and it gets chilly and rainy in the winter.

People may leave here because they want to be closer to their families or for medical reasons or because they are concerned about security, or tired of the dirty air, trashiness and polluted water, or just tired of the corrupt and incompetent government at all levels but IMO they are not very likely to leave because there is a better climate anywhere near here.  Because otherwise than in a number of locations, Mexico trumps (small t) the U.S. and Canada by far when it comes to weather.

There may be places in South America that can compete in that department but they don't offer the fast and easy access to the U.S. and Canada that we have here.

Lots of people leave here because they misunderstood the weather patterns. Two neighbours have moved to warmer climes, one to Bucerias the other to Progresso. The Bucerias people enjoy dancing in the sand, and dip in the pool when it is hot. The Progresso couple like riding horses. The central part of Mexico has always attracted a more starchy, conservative type of person. It is no accident that the largest American Legion is here. Long sleeve shirts, long trousers, and activities such as church, fund raising charities, and more formal socializing. The coasts have always attracted the more adventurous souls, boating, tennis - fun in the sun. Shorts and light tees, even in the towns and cities.

Here - have a look at this fashion parade webcam http://www.cuatesycuetes.com/

Maybe someone should send in the photo of the Honorable Member from Millet, Alberta in his spiffy tie and suit

“Lots of people leave here because they misunderstood the weather patterns.”

There are a lot more future expats misunderstanding the weather patterns here based on posts and comments in the expat Facebook groups. The ignorance is astounding. 

8 minutes ago, Xena said:

“Lots of people leave here because they misunderstood the weather patterns.”

There are a lot more future expats misunderstanding the weather patterns here based on posts and comments in the expat Facebook groups. The ignorance is astounding. 

I don't follow Facebook, but Ms. Chillin has mentioned the same thing.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Well you two have me beat because in 10 years I've never met anyone who left here because of the weather. OTOH have met and know a bunch who moved here and stay here because of it.  :D

We are not talking about the people who are here, have been here. We are talking about the oncoming wave as revealed by their Facebook posts and comments. They will be arriving with a full complement of expectations and illusions that guarantee they will be mightily disappointed. When the “perfect” weather turns out not to be exactly perfect every day of every season and their other delusions begin to shatter many of them will leave. I think you need to be reading the posts and comments from this latest batch of people to fully grasp their sense of entitlement and all encompassing ignorance. They expect perfect weather,  total comfort, and access to pretty much everything they have where they now are — and all of it cheap, of course. 

Now that we've lost the local weather station, I suspect that most weather services report data from the Guadalajara airport when you request info for the local area. Of course, we live in a micro climate that often varies from that of Guadalajara. Here's a link to the Mexican national weather service site. It's in Spanish, but easy enough for anyone to figure out. I once noticed that they listed a reporting site located on Scorpion Island. 

http://smn.cna.gob.mx/es/

10 hours ago, HarryB said:

A mexican friend told me a poem about the weather here, but, I'm too old to remember it. The only one I remember is if Sr (Mt.) Garcia has his sombrero on , it will rain in the next 24 hours,

Perhaps this one Harry?    

"Febrero loco, Marzo otra poco"

Good fun weather blog post,, even if not the one you were thinking of.    

http://mexicobob.blogspot.ca/2009/02/febrero-loco.html

Archived