Chapala.com Webboard

Vehicle foto infraccion

cedros

So online it says my vehicle was photographed somewhere last October speeding. Today I went to the traffic office in Jocotepec to renew my decals. I got my new decals but did not have to pay the fine or show my CURP or RFC. Now I need to go to Chapala to see the photo of my infraction and maybe pay my fine. Weird-how can they force me to pay the fine if I already have my decals.

So I went to Chapala to see the picture of my supposed foto infraccion and maybe pay it. They said I can pay it but I can't see the picture unless I go to Guadalajara. So backwards.

I had the same ticket issue: all of a sudden I had a fotoinfracción (with a date and no address of the incident) which I neither received nor did it appear on my periodic web check of outstanding tickets. And, given my calendar and Zus travel log, it was absolutely impossible that it was my vehicle. Was told on Monday in Chapala I had to go to Guadalajara. Went today, got in line for a printout of the fotoinfracción, which they could not find. Waited more time for the ticket to percolate,...then another hour...Finally they found it and indeed it is NOT my car. It seems the process is this: computer-generated foto has someone hand-key the license plate into the system that issues the ticket. On mine, the digits were transposed on the plates. They rescinded the ticket, they claim; the guy seemed surprised I asked for copies of all the papers for my own files. He told me I could trust them to fix it and I should be happy I didn't have to pay the ticket. Hopefully it is fixed.

It is the BIG Vialidad complex on the corner of Alcalde and Circunvalación. Many Policía Vial trucks, motos, uniformed people around. Almost no on-street customer parking...a bit of a chuckle there. To process my request, I needed to show the original  plus give a copy of: my driver license; the tarjeta de circulación, as well plus a copy of the ticket. They keep all the copies. If you don't bring your copies, there is a copier on the street level by the entrance, but it wasn't working. Glad I had copies with me because that sped up the process.

On the main floor, there's an Information desk of sorts, but the ticket stuff happens downstairs: you go past the info desk, turn right, go down the stairs, another turn and more stairs and it's like an ant tunnel with people moving to and fro. All under roof, but open air. Yesterday was cold.

For fotoinfracción, I had to go to the line at Basement A, Window 1 and request a copy of the photo ticket after showing him my printout (it has the Folio/ticket number on it and that appears to be the key to their filing system.) They give you a REQUEST slip that notes both a date and time to pick it up. (Mine was same day, 1/2 hour later but it took 1 1/2 hrs to find it.) People on line who seemed to have a stack of (parking or speeding) tickets they wanted to see were assigned pick-up slips for the following day; the clerk says they have to look up and copy each one individually and large orders clog their line. You take your slip and go to Window 2 to wait till they call your name (this window is outside and around the corner from the Windows 1, 3 and 4 alcove); there's a long red metal bench since you must wait) and you wait for your copy to be called. Then you go to another window  to pay OR another somewhere else, as we did, in an office area to get the erroneously-filed ticket removed from your plates. There are bathrooms located on that floor.

OH: there is a very useful sign by Window 2 saying it is your right to request that your fotoinfracción be stamped free of charge that it is an official photocopy. Apparently this stamp is needed if you want to take it and pay elsewhere than right there. So, you might as well get it stamped if the infraction is yours. The woman said some people leave, only to return another day for the stamp.

Interestingly, there are signs everywhere stating that these services are for individuals ONLY: you cannot have someone (facilitator, etc) stand in line for you or represent you in any way. I don't think that means that you couldn't take a Spanish-speaking companion with you but they cannot "represent" you. 

The place is BUSY, perhaps with people going to pay their car registration and getting the big fotoinfracción surprise: lots of people next to me on cell phones talking about how much they owed.

There was a foto infraction for one of our vehicles on a day following one we knew had been in GDL.   It was definitely our vehicle.  At first we thought the date might be a data entry problem, but no.   The vehicle had gone into a specialty repair shop lakeside the morning after we returned from GDL and the owner had taken the vehicle to GDL for no reason related to the repairs needed on the vehicle.   Guess who doesn't do any further work on our cars?

11 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

I am curious how much was saved by fighting an infraction? Was it worth the time, effort, and inconvenience?

The ticket was $755 and cost me a day's time and expenses. Not necessarily worth it in $ but  I wanted to see this through and learn how my vehicle impossibly was snagged on the fotoinfracción and how it would be handled. Another experience and I am a little better informed, should it happen again.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:44 PM, cedros said:

So online it says my vehicle was photographed somewhere last October speeding. Today I went to the traffic office in Jocotepec to renew my decals. I got my new decals but did not have to pay the fine or show my CURP or RFC. Now I need to go to Chapala to see the photo of my infraction and maybe pay my fine. Weird-how can they force me to pay the fine if I already have my decals.

Where can I find the webpage to check online ?  "So online it says my vehicle was photographed somewhere last October speeding"

2 hours ago, jrod said:

The ticket was $755 and cost me a day's time and expenses. Not necessarily worth it in $ but  I wanted to see this through and learn how my vehicle impossibly was snagged on the fotoinfracción and how it would be handled. Another experience and I am a little better informed, should it happen again.

Thanks, jrod. I am often of the same mind.

It may not pencil-out $ wise, but if I have the time and inclination (and often I don't) I also like learning how to navigate the world I live in, and discovering I'm capable of doing it. Whether it's correcting a stupid and erroneous traffic ticket, going to INM without a facilitator, or a trip to the Recaudadora....or....or...whatever's next. There's always something next and new.

I'm a lousy DIYer around the house. I guess I need to feel self-sufficient at some things! :lol:

9 hours ago, jrod said:

See the post by kbleitch about 3 above your's.

2 hours ago, cedros said:

See the post by kbleitch about 3 above your's.

Yes, Cedros: the ticket had showed on that website when I checked at the end of December, but that gives the date and amount of the infraction not the location. I regularly pull a printout every 60 days and my printouts from July and October say the vehicle is clear; this ticket, which showed up when I checked the week before I went to get my tarjeta de circulación renewed in Chapala is dated June 26. Where has it been hiding? That begets another question: If the ticket had been mine, and since I never received anything in the mail, and I had proof that nothing showed up thru October, would they have fined me for the late payment? (PS there is another area to dispute citations. I fully expected to need to find its location but it was dismissed.)

Also, for anyone interested, if you have your vin and plates, the third-party app "InfraJal" (when and if it works) is supposed to link to the files and actually pull up the ticket. I couldn't get the app to download for me no way no how but if it works, it gives you the photo of the fotoinfracción. The man at Vialidad who annulled my ticket says it isn't reliable, but who knows what that means...Vialidad wasn't either. Another potential source of info I gleaned.

Archived