Chapala.com Webboard

Authentic Tai Chi/Pushing Hands coming to Chapala

As a fellow Senior (1947), I am interested in sharing this Internal Art with fellow Elders who have the time to focus upon QOL in its subtle/sustainable dimensions.

A year ago I returned from residence in China since 1999, where I taught MovieMagic English and did Intensive practice with Master Yun Yin Sen in Shanghai. I have been cultivating this Art since 1977, with Chinese Masters in US/HK/Macao/Taiwan/Mainland China. As an EFL teacher, at all levels, for 30 years, I have the EQ to tailor my Tai Chi lessons to suit individual levels/needs/abilities. With its large population of retired couples, I am particularly interested in training folks in NON-COMPETITIVE Push Hands, especially for the Man to become skilled in shifting from Yang to Yin, to LISTEN to the Yang energy of the Woman (in harmony with John Gray's Mars-Venus concepts/practices).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDTxOSP_1WA&t=85s

This past year I have been mostly based in San Cristobal de las Casas, giving classes and workshops there. 

Here are some Videos

http://tinyurl.com/KG-LHBF-YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kevin+gaudette+workshops

I will be moving to Chapala in early February, and I am available for initial free Demonstrations.

I am also interested in any INFO regarding initially renting a short-term/low-cost room, and Volunteering to develop a MovieMagic English-Spanish Club.

Here's MovieMagic INFO   http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=16848

Cheers from mellow seaside Sisal, Yucatan.

Kevin Gaudette

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of us are doing Tai-Chi at the El Parque community, Monday, Wednesday and Friday 'mornings.  We do Chi-Chi just outside the clubhouse at 9:00 - 10:00 on those mornings,  you are very welcome to join us.  The cost is very, very minimal.  It would be great to see you there one morning.

kamytoo

Hi...tnx for the Invitation. Will do so.

A few questions:

What do the folks do in the sessions...learn/practice a Form?

Which one?

Any additional Internal exercises--Standing/Walking/Rowing/Push Hands?

As I mentioned in the Announcement, my particular interest is to introduce/teach/promote non-competitive Push Hands and Internal/Rooting training. My online research has given INFO about interesting projects such as

CincoElementos.ajijic....sana-clinica...and the many Retirement Homes

Any suggestions/contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers...see y'all soon!

Yin-yang what style do you teach?  I would be interested in Small Frame Style — slow motion short form.   And really interested in Tuishou but uncertain of how it fits in with the various taijiquan styles.    Haven’t done any taiji for 40 years and then only a very little.   Please elaborate.  Thanks

El Cartero,

Pleased to see you are really interested in Tuishou--and that you know Pinyin spellings...and thus pronounce Taijichuan correctly, rather than as TaiCHEE.

Also interesting to see our SYNCHRONICITY...In 1977 I started cultivating in Boston Chinatown, with Hwa Yu Taijiquan Master John Chung Li (later my father-in-law)...in Boston/Fla./Chicago and then in Hong Kong. This Art is also called Liu He Ba Fa (6 Methods/8 Combinations), and other names. Actually, the Internal Work (Nei Gong) which will be the focus.. this is essential for progress in any of the many Forms. The Tuishou is the FEEDBACK...so we can be aware of our levels of NEI GONG, especially ROOTING, and moving with Yin-Yang, and opening the GUA meridian zone at the loins.

Check out the some of the videos...of my Workshops and especially Master Yun. If any further questions...please ask.

Question...any suggestions for places suitable for classes...mornings & evenings? 

Cheers

Oh...are you familiar with the El Cartero movie...in English--the Postman...about Chilean poet in exile living on Greek island?

I am interested also. It's been 35 years for me since I've done... taiji. Before the language changes. :D I'll p.m. you with my contact information. I studied Yang long form for about 3 years. Very novice. No particular preferences on style. Now very crumbly physically.

If you don't get a response here, maybe start another thread on possible locations.

All I know about the movie was that Maria Grazia starred and that’s tough to forget.  Il Postino, Italian movie.

As to Pushing hands I did a little Chi Sau (nian shou) which I loved.   Sticky Hands shared sensitivity and timing with Pushing Hands but has the advantage of protection of the centerline and trapping.  My background is in Wing Tsun, Sifu Emin Boztepe.  His, Leung Ting and his Yip Man.

I appreciate your background.   Not unlike Segal’s marring his Sifu’s daughter, lol.  We have had an “expert” in the past but when he called his kwoon a dojo I lost interest.

As to location, given traffic and parking, I can only think of a few.   in Chapala, near the lake below the mural.  In San Antonio the jardín /zócalo/ or whatever you call it.  It has, I think, a kiosko should it rain.   In Ajijic I like the 2 Eventos in the west end although not perfect ambiance.   Maybe LCS if they’ll rent their kiosko.

Looking forward to your arrival.  

Here at Sisal seaside the seagulls ride the wind...an excellent Metaphor for non-competitive Pushing Hands. When there is no fear of the Partner's incoming Yang energy...then TENSION is reduced.  Listening/Rooting are increased. Remember the lesson of Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Just a slight turn of the hand is enough. The CONTRACT is that the Partner transforms to Yin when the yielding Partner reaches Maximum while sitting back/down, while Yin-yielding. We all help each other to expand our yielding-rooting-listening.  AND...open the GUA meridian zones in the loins.

Looking forward to meeting y'all in early February!

RV:  Tai Chi is a very old exercise from China.  If taught the traditional way, it improves balance and strength. Nothing "New Age about it."  The gentler version of it (Tai Chi Chih) at LCS is being taught by a very fit little 82 year old Chinese lady and is free to LCS members. Because it is gentler, I'd recommend starting with it for those who have physical challenges or are elders.:)

Yes, Tai Chi is good for everyone, and I sure would benefit from it. However, the new age funny talk is what I find really, really strange.  Then.....the repetition!

I have a vegan daughter like that !!!   It just turns me off.  

35 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Yes, Tai Chi is good for everyone, and I sure would benefit from it. However, the new age funny talk is what I find really, really strange.  Then.....the repetition!

I have a vegan daughter like that !!!   It just turns me off.  

I've often wondered what the motivation/reward is for doing that.  Maybe it makes people feel "special".

40 minutes ago, Yin-Yang @ Chapala said:

Yin and Yang are ancient Chinese concepts, used in:

* Acupuncture

* Electricity..2 kinds:

Yin Electricity ( --)

Yang Electricity ( + )

Acupuncture is a form of alternative medicine in which thin needles are inserted into the body. It is a key component of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). TCM theory and practice are not based upon scientific knowledge, and acupuncture is a pseudoscience.

It is the hocus-pocus factor at its finest.

My mother-in-law was an Acupuncturist, as was her father and others in the Family Tree. She was Head of the Acupuncture Dept. for a govt. hospital in Shanghai. In such hospitals, folks are able to choose between approaches, whether drugs/surgery or herbs/acupuncture. When Acupuncture made mainstream media discussion 40+ years ago, there were charges regarding its demonstrated effectiveness for centuries with Chinese...charges that it was a Placebo effect, cultural conditioning, hypnotism, hogwash etc. In terms of Western scientific research & results, those explanations have been left behind. Now race horses are given Acupuncture treatments. USAmerican Pragmatism:

"Whatever works...even if we don't quite understand it.. "

21 minutes ago, Yin-Yang @ Chapala said:

...charges that it was a Placebo effect...

"Whatever works...even if we don't quite understand it.. "

The placebo is effective in about 30% of cases. Also, 30% had no real problem. Praise Buddha!

ee01e4e64afd257550bed5d92d2d3467.jpg

Archived