Chapala.com Webboard

Leave Mexico Temporarily as Permanent Resident

mcbern

Hello, Have scoured the internet and cannot find answer to this question....

As permanent residents in Mexico, we have to return to the US for an undetermined period of time to assist in care of sick relative. How long can we actually be away before our status here in Mexico is taken away? Should we return every so often, or does Permanent Residency stay with us indefinitely?

Thank you!

McBern

When the law changed a few years ago, the in-country minimum days of residence was removed. If you don't plan to return, you can cancel your Residencia Permanente when you go to IMN (which you have to do anyway) to hand in the outbound part (for RP, the bottom smaller part) of the FMM (Forma Migratoria Múltiple..)

Which brings up a good question -- I have been an RP for less than a week and will be flying back to TX in a few days -- what documentation do I need at the airport -- I don't have an FMM since I just went through the canje process.  And equally important, what do I do on the return trip in a month or so -- do I still fill out the FMM on the way back to CDMX ??

And where do I get the FMM -- at the airport or do I ahve to go back to the INM office??

When you write you are now RP, do you mean you have your newly-minted "green" card in your hand OR you have entered recently, gone to INM and are continuing the process here to complete the RP process?

If you have your photo-ID card in hand, you go to INM at the airport at your city of exit (Guad, if a direct flight) and get a blank FMM from them, step out of line, completely fill out top and bottom white portions and write RESIDENTE PERMANENTE on the top of both; your RP number is on the back of the card. (We always take a few blanks for future flights or land departures: it speeds the process for everyone in line.) Return to the line, the INM officer will stamp your FMM, scan it into the computer, and stamp your passport and then return the docs to you. Now go to your airline check-in desk and they will take the bottom half; keep the (larger) top half to hand in upon your return. 

If you are not yet with card and just have completed the process within 30 days of your entry to Mexico, you must have an exit letter permitting you to leave Mexico for up to 60 days. There is a charge and it takes a few days to get the letter. You can try to do it yourself at INM or enlist the help of a facilitator to do so on your behalf.

Under no circumstances should you leave Mexico without your RP card and be forced to check the "tourist" box. Doing so can invalidate your status, require your departure from the country and have to start the process all over again.

• Like 1

JRod is correct on all but this.: There is no need to fill out the top portion of the FMM when you are leaving. This is the part you will retain and fill out and hand in on your return. Why not fill out the top part when you exit? Well, you may not have yet booked your return flight (and there is a line on the form for the airline and flight # of your return), or you may change your return flight and date while you are away.

And don't fret if you lose the top half when out of the country. Theoretically the entry and exit are supposed to be from the same card (matching bar code) but INM doesn't appear to care if you just fill out a new one on the flight back. Confirmed by INM agent at PV airport.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hello, 

I have a related question regarding this topic, I am a Residente Temporal, and I have a "Green Card" too, I flew out of Mexico , when I re-entered Mexico from San Diego to Tijuana by car  I didn't see any INM officers, where should I hand back the other half of the FMM form?  Will this affect my future renewal of my "Green Card" if I failed to return other half of FMM form? 

Thank you very much

Hi Yo1 

Thank you for your answer, that's interesting.  

If I throw away the half of FMM I have now while inside Mexico, the INM system definitely thinks that I am still outside of Mexico (since I flew out of Mexico and "checked out" officially at an INM counter in the airport), then I have other questions coming up in my mind: 

1. When it's time to renew my "green card" in an INM office, will they deny renewal since their system hasn't checked me in ?(I assume that there is law to require the applicant to be physically in Mexico to renew?) , so do I have to make a special trip out of Mexico and come back by plane or other ways where I have to see an INM officer to check in ? 

2. If I decide to fly out of Mexico with my current "green card" before renewal, will I need to pay a fine or will it cause any trouble, since I didn't check in then suddenly I am checking out again in the airport. 

Thank you so much for reading my questions again, any thoughts or first hand experience will be highly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 7:14 PM, Guy said:

1. When it's time to renew my "green card" in an INM office, will they deny renewal since their system hasn't checked me in ?(I assume that there is law to require the applicant to be physically in Mexico to renew?) , so do I have to make a special trip out of Mexico and come back by plane or other ways where I have to see an INM officer to check in ? 

There is no renewal for the green card. It's permanent.

1 hour ago, dcstroker said:

There is no renewal for the green card. It's permanent.

A Residente Permanente card is green  and a Residente Temporal card is also but if he was comparing it to a US green card they are white and have been for a decade or more and a US temporary resident card is red. So "green card" is a bad choice of words in this sense. One should state which Mexican resident visa they have. RT, RP, Residente Temporal, Residente Permanente.

• 1 month later...

I hold a PM Green card and have religiously followed the PM exit and return instructions, including keeping a stack of pre-filled out INM forms, both top and bottom halves in my backpack. Prior to departure or re-entry, I fill in the date and method of travel info.

I have twice exited and returned through the Laredo border crossing by car.  When departing MX and returning to MX, I have driven to the INM office at the border for proper processing of the  INM form.  This past week I exited and re-entered MX by walking across the International Bridge at the Juarez/El Paso crossing. Both when departing MX and returning to MX, I followed my previous INM form procedures.  The INM agents at the Juarez border office managed my exit and entry process entirely different.  I presented my US passport and MX Green card, along with a properly filled out INM form, except the upper half return date was left blank.  The agent refused to accept my pre-filled out form and required me to fill out a new form, which contained EXACTLY the same info as the rejected INM form. Upon processing the newly filled out INM form and stamping my passport, the agent refused to return the larger portion of the form stating that I would need to simply fill out a new INM form, both top and bottom upon returning to MX. The agent kept both forms.  Upon returning to MX and visiting the INM office at the border in Juarez, I experienced the same situation.  I presented a properly pre-filled out INM form and the agent advised that I still needed to fill out a new blank form.  A similar processing situation ensued as occurred during my exit MX experience.

There were 2 agents conversing while processing the 2nd form.  My impression was the agent operating the computer seemed to not understand proper INM procedures for  processing exit and re-entry of MX Green card holders.  In summary, the INM agents at the Juarez office collected and retained 2 completed and intact, identical INM forms, both during my MX exit and again during my MX reentry.

No comprende!!

Has anyone else experienced this bizarre deviation of published INM procedures for handing the exit and reentry of MX green card holders?

I did briefly argue with the agents that they needed to return the large, upper portion of the INM form back to me for both exit and  reentry to no avail.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Ed Terry

"I did briefly argue with the agents that they needed to return the large, upper portion of the INM form back to me for both exit and  reentry to no avail."

For entry into Mexico they keep the top larger portion. The bottom half is thrown away. Exiting they keep the small lower portion. 

12 hours ago, Ed Terry said:

I hold a PM Green card and have religiously followed the PM exit and return instructions, including keeping a stack of pre-filled out INM forms, both top and bottom halves in my backpack. Prior to departure or re-entry, I fill in the date and method of travel info.

I have twice exited and returned through the Laredo border crossing by car.  When departing MX and returning to MX, I have driven to the INM office at the border for proper processing of the  INM form.  This past week I exited and re-entered MX by walking across the International Bridge at the Juarez/El Paso crossing. Both when departing MX and returning to MX, I followed my previous INM form procedures.  The INM agents at the Juarez border office managed my exit and entry process entirely different.  I presented my US passport and MX Green card, along with a properly filled out INM form, except the upper half return date was left blank.  The agent refused to accept my pre-filled out form and required me to fill out a new form, which contained EXACTLY the same info as the rejected INM form. Upon processing the newly filled out INM form and stamping my passport, the agent refused to return the larger portion of the form stating that I would need to simply fill out a new INM form, both top and bottom upon returning to MX. The agent kept both forms.  Upon returning to MX and visiting the INM office at the border in Juarez, I experienced the same situation.  I presented a properly pre-filled out INM form and the agent advised that I still needed to fill out a new blank form.  A similar processing situation ensued as occurred during my exit MX experience.

There were 2 agents conversing while processing the 2nd form.  My impression was the agent operating the computer seemed to not understand proper INM procedures for  processing exit and re-entry of MX Green card holders.  In summary, the INM agents at the Juarez office collected and retained 2 completed and intact, identical INM forms, both during my MX exit and again during my MX reentry.

No comprende!!

Has anyone else experienced this bizarre deviation of published INM procedures for handing the exit and reentry of MX green card holders?

I did briefly argue with the agents that they needed to return the large, upper portion of the INM form back to me for both exit and  reentry to no avail.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Ed Terry

This happens frequently at Laredo (but not at Colombia, in my experience.) The agent (and supervisor) told me that at that location their bar-coded numbers on the FMMs are tracked so they could not use the FMM form I had completed in advance since the number would not mesh with the sequence of numbers they were given. I just copied the info to the new form, destroyed the first one, and they let me go to the front of the line when I had completed the copying. And yes, land border crossing officials appear less familiar with RP and RT holders, whose process for in and out registrations essentially is the reverse of tourists: almost always a supervisor to help the agent. (PS: the correct computer code is "8")

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2019 at 1:09 PM, Mazgal said:

When a permanente leaves Mexico and misplaced the the top portion of the fmm form, what should they do on return? Just fill out a new one and act like nothing happened? Or fill it out an d tell them? The bar code will be different....🤔🤪😳

This is happening to me. I do not have my top copy. Can you tell me what the result was? Thanks

The bar code will be different; if returning to Guadalajara by air, the agent will make you complete another form and you may get a lecture or have to pay a fine for its replacement.  Other arrival cities may be different and land crossings are different again.

• 3 months later...

I hold a temporary residency visa and will be leaving México via the bridge between Tijuana and San Diego this Saturday.  This will be my first foray outside the country since I obtained my card, and needless to say I'm concerned by the posts I see (not just here).  I do not want to go through the process of getting residency a second time!

Many different sites have posts saying to just forget the process when using that crossing, but then I have read that INM collects the permits on re-entry (I'm coming back the same way).  If I didn't follow the correct process on the way out, how am I supposed to complete the process on the way back in?  

And if I do want to visit INM at the Tijuana airport, can someone provide some quick directions on how to get there?  It seems it's in a separate building and I'm unsure of exactly how to get to it.

Thanks for any info/advice!

1 hour ago, Bjones9942 said:

I hold a temporary residency visa and will be leaving México via the bridge between Tijuana and San Diego this Saturday.  This will be my first foray outside the country since I obtained my card, and needless to say I'm concerned by the posts I see (not just here).  I do not want to go through the process of getting residency a second time!

Many different sites have posts saying to just forget the process when using that crossing, but then I have read that INM collects the permits on re-entry (I'm coming back the same way).  If I didn't follow the correct process on the way out, how am I supposed to complete the process on the way back in?  

And if I do want to visit INM at the Tijuana airport, can someone provide some quick directions on how to get there?  It seems it's in a separate building and I'm unsure of exactly how to get to it.

Thanks for any info/advice!

INM inside the TJ airport is in the main lobby area at a desk where they hand out FMM tourist cards. They do not hand out FMM cards for legal residents there. They tell you all you need is your INM resident card to go anywhere in Mexico. They will not take a FMM card from a legal resident when you tell them you are leaving Mexico. They tell you to hand them in right at the 2 border crossing before exiting the country.

If you use the CBX entering Mexico from the bridge you pass through Mexican Immigration [ INM ] and customs before entering the airport. This is the only place to have your FMM card handed in there. It is 40 feet to the left as you enter the bridge from the Tijuana airport baggage claim area. The signs when you enter say to USA and to Mexico. Turn left to Mexico. Once they take your filled out FMM card turn around and follow the to USA sign. If they tell you they won't accept it and you need to go to the Otay or San Ysidro border crossing tell them you are using the bridge and please take it.

10 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

INM inside the TJ airport is in the main lobby area at a desk where they hand out FMM tourist cards. They do not hand out FMM cards for legal residents there. They tell you all you need is your INM resident card to go anywhere in Mexico. They will not take a FMM card from a legal resident when you tell them you are leaving Mexico. They tell you to hand them in right at the 2 border crossing before exiting the country.

If you use the CBX entering Mexico from the bridge you pass through Mexican Immigration [ INM ] and customs before entering the airport. This is the only place to have your FMM card handed in there. It is 40 feet to the left as you enter the bridge from the Tijuana airport baggage claim area. The signs when you enter say to USA and to Mexico. Turn left to Mexico. Once they take your filled out FMM card turn around and follow the to USA sign. If they tell you they won't accept it and you need to go to the Otay or San Ysidro border crossing tell them you are using the bridge and please take it.

I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.  What is the "2 border crossing" ?  And if they don't take the FMM from residents, then what are you handing them?

I will be exiting México, so I won't be asking them for an FMM when I come back.  If they don't take a portion of the FMM when I exit, then what am I giving them when I return?  I know the correct procedure is to obtain the FMM before I exit México, leaving the bottom portion with INM (or the airline agent - this part isn't clear).  When I return I'm supposed to present my residency card and the top portion of the FMM.  This doesn't seem to be the procedure at the Tijuana crossing.

20 minutes ago, Bjones9942 said:

I'm sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.  What is the "2 border crossing" ?  And if they don't take the FMM from residents, then what are you handing them?

I will be exiting México, so I won't be asking them for an FMM when I come back.  If they don't take a portion of the FMM when I exit, then what am I giving them when I return?  I know the correct procedure is to obtain the FMM before I exit México, leaving the bottom portion with INM (or the airline agent - this part isn't clear).  When I return I'm supposed to present my residency card and the top portion of the FMM.  This doesn't seem to be the procedure at the Tijuana crossing.

TJ has 2 border crossings at San Ysidro and Otay Mesa. 3 if you include the newer CBX pedestrian bridge at the airport. If you want to follow the rules you need to go to the INM office there and ask for a FMM card to fill out as a legal resident. They stamp it and keep the smaller bottom portion. When you re-enter Mexico you fill out the larger upper portion and hand it into the INM offical.

19 minutes ago, Bjones9942 said:

This was part of my question - Where is THERE?  I will be using the CBX pedestrian bridge.

See my first post at the bottom. It explains what I always do. I have a Residente Permanente card/visa also. I am originally from San Diego. Ocasionally the INM official won't give me a FMM card to fill out - he/she says I don't need one - or go to a border crossing to get one - and when I return back to Mexico via the CBX I don't give them a FMM card and they say nothing. In other words they don't care one way or another. They never have stamped my passport. They scan my passport in one scanner and scan my RP card in another  scanner and say thank you and wave me on to the Customs area. They do not need anything from you once you are in Mexico except your INM card it appears and only are interested in giving tourists FMM tourist cards.