Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw Direct TV News

Yes only time will tell and when I just phoned Shaw Direct from the known phone # at my up north billing cottage, they just said they were simply moving to MPeg-4 and not changing satellites. I sure hope what they told me this time is true.

I remember posting false information after receiving said information from the Shaw Direct call center the last time I was up north.

So I don't always believe what they tell me. But so far, most every channel that  I watch when upgraded stayed on the same satellite and could be viewed on the 600 and 800 series receivers

• 1 year later...

Leave your main PVR modem/receiver in your livingroom back home in Canada.Just take your 2nd modem from your bedroom setup.(thereby...no interruption in domestic service)...to your winter home in Southern USA or Northern Mexico.Hire a satellite installations firm to set you up with the dish or dishes,to home in on at  least two of the three Shawdirect satellites. Since you are continuing to pay for your monthly Shawdirect service as you normally do....the saellite set up on your southern casa roof...just needs a little tweaking on the secondary receiver you've brought down from Canada.Click on signal strength etc. and refresh. You'll be receving your homebased programming as usual...except your "bedroom" receiver...is now in the deep south.Just can't complain to Shaw service people...who aren't able to run down to do any thing involving hands on maintenance.

I added a new receiver a few months ago and expect to try to add another soon. I do it by Live Chat and use a VPN but I cannot access Satellite live chat directly-it says Shaw ID or password is wrong which isn't true. So I have to access live chat via Shaw cable and then they switch me over to Shaw satellite. Weird. 

I'm still waiting for my new LNB.

16 minutes ago, johanson said:

I need and have the new LNB up north so I can pick up all three satellites, but down here. I do not need the new one because I can not pick up the third satellite this far south anyway.

So the new LNB isn't needed here. A local electronics company has a list of 60  people here waiting for a new one. I wonder.

• Haha 1

It won't work here. It will never work here. It is physically impossible for it to work here.

The only reason to get one (EDIT: Here) is to stop Shaw harassing you to upgrade. And that only happens if you are a real account holder. And that's a costly fix.

• Like 1

Just remember, you have to be a little bit careful if you are mixing the types of LNB's you are using (on different dishes) on the same account.  The new triple LNB uses a different software setup for its channel selection scheme (referred to as the "V-code") than the older twin LNB setups like most of us have here in the south.  It is a bit difficult to explain to the Shaw techs why you need to have different V-codes on different receivers - but it is possible.  You can tell what your receiver's V-code is set to by looking at the first 4 digits of the "Map Status" in the configuration menu.

7 hours ago, Russ Hilderley said:

Leave your main PVR modem/receiver in your livingroom back home in Canada.Just take your 2nd modem from your bedroom setup.(thereby...no interruption in domestic service)...to your winter home in Southern USA or Northern Mexico.Hire a satellite installations firm to set you up with the dish or dishes,to home in on at  least two of the three Shawdirect satellites. Since you are continuing to pay for your monthly Shawdirect service as you normally do....the saellite set up on your southern casa roof...just needs a little tweaking on the secondary receiver you've brought down from Canada.Click on signal strength etc. and refresh. You'll be receving your homebased programming as usual...except your "bedroom" receiver...is now in the deep south.Just can't complain to Shaw service people...who aren't able to run down to do any thing involving hands on maintenance.

Do I need the powered splitter up at the dish  or will the old unpowered one get as strong a signal. My Shaw system keeps displaying the message Your software needs to update do power off for two hours. I leave the receiver on overnight (actually for days) but the update never completes. The next night the same notice comes up. Anyon eknow what to do about this?

IN Canada,we have a PVR receiver in our living room ,connected to the SHAWDIRECT satellite connected #1.....AND a secondary receiver in our bedroom connected to the satellite dish connecter #2. We subscribe to just the basics,and have paid for the two receivers ....but we ONLY BRING TO MEXICO our bedroom receiver.It is connected to TWO dishes on our cash rooftop,and was aimed directly at SHAW's original two satellites for the past 3 winters.We have left the PVR back home connected as it would be normally during the six months in Canada!

SHAW is not losing a customer....and a friendly rep. For SHAW said  "if you have a technical problem with your receiver....don't expect us to send a service tech. To repair it"!

THERE ARE WELL QUALIFIED satellite technicians in Mexico very familiar with setting up SHAW receivers.Our guy in the Yucatan orders dozens of the Sat.Dish receiver heads from  Canadian distributors....

We bring the  bedroom receiver with us when we return to Canada or Mexico....and just watched Toronto lose to Boston last night...boo hoo!

Over the years....we understand that many Lake Chapala expats ...have hailed from Algoma District (Lake Superior country)...Often wondered how C.of L. Compared  there to the Yucatan Penninsula ?

Last week...our weather peaked at 42c.....very humid.