Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw Direct TV News

When activating Shaw receivers "away from home", a phone call is no longer the way. A chat online is the new method. A recent conversation while watching a new box being set up ended in this:

"Then it is activated. But please note also that since it appears that the equipment is used elsewhere than at your Canadian Legal address of service. Since Shaw Direct have Licence to service in Canada only, it is normal that you have missing channels. Furthermore, this is also why we cannot neither service nor support if Shaw Direct equipment is used outside Canada."

That was followed by "Have a cervesa for me! ;o) "

• Haha 1

I have found that when you go on Chat you need to use a VPN to hide where you are at. They told me they couldn't help me until I returned back after my vacation. I think I had a newbie going by the book.

Geo-location. You are connected, after all, to a satellite, and that satellite software shows a list of every connected device. You may be able to get TV shows "on demand" using an Internet connection to make a request, but the program is still coming in via satellite, not via Internet. Shaw satellite was started before Internet was a consideration.

When I call, I use Skype, or some other obfuscating software, so they have no idea where I am calling from in terms of the call. With chat, yes, your IP address is readily available.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Geo-location. You are connected, after all, to a satellite, and that satellite software shows a list of every connected device.

Please tell me if I'm missing something but how can a satellite broadcasting a unidirectional signal receive any information about the receivers that are picking u the signal?

What does "geo-location" have to do with the transmission/reception process?

TIA

SunFan

• Thanks 2

OK i am not a computer wiz but if you are using your computer to chat with Shaw they know that your computer is not in Canada, unless you are using a hide my ### program ,it is not much of a leap to assume that is how they know your Shaw box is not in Canada.  I use a my Vonage phone and always call them if I have a problem Shaw has my Vonage phone registered as my home phone so I have no problem getting service here in Mexico.

12 hours ago, SunFan said:

Please tell me if I'm missing something but how can a satellite broadcasting a unidirectional signal receive any information about the receivers that are picking u the signal?

What does "geo-location" have to do with the transmission/reception process?

TIA

SunFan

Still not answering my question. No internet connection, no phone calls, no smoke signals, just the receiver sitting there picking up the satellite broadcast. I know of no way Shaw knows where your receiver is.

SunFan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The USA President sez you are wrong Computer Guy!

Just because one does not understand the physics of the universe does mean it doesn't exist if one denies it often enough and loud enough.

If anyone doubts this, all they have to do is read many of the posts here arguing the same thing.

Let's see if anyone can 'trump' this!

Not sure how I can be more clear. All satellite communication is two way. Just because one does not understand the physics of the universe does not mean it doesn't exist.

Pretty sure you're wrong on this one, CG, with all respect.   One way only when just set up for satellite to TV, without any phone or internet connection to the  box.

That is why the boxes are called "receivers" and also why one needs to call, chat, have a phone link, etc to Shaw in order to have PPV movies, etc.     

GPS is the same, when you think about it.    Sat signal reception, nada mas.

• Like 1

Not sure how I can be more clear. All satellite communication is two way. Just because one does not understand the physics of the universe does not mean it doesn't exist.

Hope you're better on computer systems than on  telecommunications.

SunFan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Shaw TV is a satellite broadcaster ie; a point to multipoint tv distribution service using Ku-band satellite transponders configured into a shaped beam or “foot print”.  The TV programming is uplinked to the geosynchronous satellite via  a central earth station facility (broadcast center).

At the individual receive-only “downlink” sites, the customer uses a dish antenna, low noise block converter linked to a satellite receiver that converts the signals for play on a Subscribers TV set. It is all “one way” program distribution.  

The satellite receiver can be connected to the internet to a TV program center where access to a specific channel may be activated and the customers receiver “programmed” via the Internet link to receive that channel.

.....40 years in satellite communications network engineering and business development mostly to support two way telephony and data communication.

• Like 1

Well, you guys may be right. I can only find one source to back up what I said, from Forbes, and they don't provide their own source.

So, my apologies. And yes, SnackFan, I am better at computer repairs than telecommunications.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Heyo, and thanks: Well,  a couple of things: I use TunnelBear frequently, because you get a free 500 Gigs of data in a 30-day period, no charge. It is perfect for quickly accessing foreign websites. For example, you type in walmart.com here and you get transferred to walmart.mx, but with TunnelBear, that doesn't happen. However, it is not bulletproof, at least not the free version, as it gets bypassed by some sites anyway.

So Unlocator is a VPN that is easy to set up, and gives good technical support. (I think you get a week's trial.) But I've had it bypassed every now and then, as well.

Lately, I've been using Strong VPN, because it has an easy setup like TunnelBear... a clear map display of where you are connecting, with no fiddling with DNS numbers. On the other hand, half the installs require you to start it manually, because the auto-start at bootup doesn't want to work. And it is not a true DNS service, in that you cannot pick the location, only the country.

HideMyAss works for about 50% of the installs I've done. My advice is to search here or on Google for "top 5 VPNs" or something, see which ones offer a free trial, and then see which ones work for you.

Network Upgrade

We want you to enjoy high-definition at its best, so we’re making major upgrades to our network. When completed, nearly all your channels will be HD, including at least 15 new HD channels being added in 2018:

Treehouse HD Peachtree HD FYI HD HLN HD
DIY Network HD Cosmopolitan HD Game TV HD Fox News HD
OLN HD OutTV HD PBS West HD MSNBC HD
Cottage Life HD BET HD BBC World HD

Your older TV equipment will not be fully compatible with the upgraded network and needs to be replaced by June 5, 2018 so you avoid losing access to up to 54 of the following channels:

Network Channel (Classic / Advanced) Network Channel (Classic / Advanced) Network Channel (Classic / Advanced)
HGTV HD 127 / 627 Global Saskatoon 337 / 30 CKOI L'ultime FM Montreal 873 / 873
Food Network HD 129 / 629 CBC North 333 / 14 CFQR 9-2-5 The Beat Mtl 874 / 874
Space HD 87 / 587 CTV Sudbury 356 / 50 CFGL 105.7 Rythme FM Mtl 876 / 876
ABC West HD 64 / 564 CTV Two Barrie 346 / 44 CITE 107.3 RougeFM Mtl 877 / 877
CBS West HD 65 / 565 CTV Two London 349 / 49 CKAC Radio Circulation 730 878 / 878
Fox West HD 66 / 566 OMNI.1 Toronto 343 / 42 CHMP 98.5 886 / 886
NBC West HD 63 / 563 OMNI.2 Toronto 395 / 43 Vues & Voix 777 / 777
ABC East HD 59 / 559 CHEX Peterborough 348 / 48 CKMF RadioNRJ Montreal 882 / 882
CBS East HD 60 / 560 CKWS Kingston 334 / 54 ICI 1M 95.1 FM Montreal 883 / 883
Fox East HD 61 / 561 CBC Ottawa 303 / 45 ICI 2M 100.7 FM Montreal 884 / 884
NBC East HD 58 / 558 CTV Ottawa 311 / 46
PBS East HD 62 / 562 CTV Two Atlantic 340 / 62
CTV Toronto HD 34 / 534 TVA Ouest 714 / 714
Global Toronto HD 32 / 532 TVA Gatineau-Ottawa 713 / 713
City Toronto HD 35 / 535 V Sherbrooke 726 / 726
ICI Tele Montreal HD 210 / 380 TVA Sherbrooke 718 / 718
V Montreal HD 212 / 382 TVA Saguenay 717 / 717
TVA Montreal HD 211 / 381 TVA Rimouski 716 / 716
PBS Spokane 374 / 91 ICI Tele Estrie 729 / 729
PBS Buffalo 388 / 81 Avis de Recherche (AdR) 731 / 731
CTV Two Vancouver Island 389 / 8 Canal Savoir 720 / 720
CBC Calgary 306 / 15 RFI 1 Radio Fr International 820 / 287

To find out if your current Shaw Direct receiver is compatible, turn on your TV, press GUIDE on your remote and go to channel 988.

ExpressVPN works great for us 99% of the time and when there is a problem live chat is available 24/7. We have it installed on our Archer C7 router and are able to watch all streaming services, with a subscription, of course.

From what I understand, the Shaw Direct changes mentioned above are the result of changing the encoding from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 for those channels. So, if you have an older receiver (pre-600 series), you will lose those channels. The good news is that the more efficient MPEG-4 encoding will open up space for more channels on the existing satellites, including those that can reach down here, so those of us with a 600+ series receiver should be able to access those additional channels. Of course, anything that is on the third satellite will never be available down here, so let's hope that they will move the most popular channels where we can get them. They already know that many of their customers still don't have the necessary equipment to access that third satellite, and they can't sell those channels if we can't get them, so let's hope.

Pete