Chapala.com Webboard

Puerto Vallarta Info.

ALPs

Recently moved to San Antonio Tlayacapan. I intend visiting Puerto Vallarta for a week either this month or in Feb. to get a feel for the place (real estate, lifestyle etc.) before deciding on where to settle.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback on PV or Nuevo PV, more so from folks like 'pappysmarket' who have either moved there from Ajijic or vice versa. Any suggestions on where to rent for a week are also most welcome. You can PM me if required.

Thanks

totally different places.  Weather totally different.  I like both, but you need to like hot weather for the beach.  More expensive in PV as well. 

I could possibly get you a timeshare rental but would need to be asap as PV is so booked up this year it is crazy!

I lived 9 years in San Miguel de Allende, six years on the coast in San Pancho, Nayarit and now 6 years here in Ajijic. If you want details then you'll have to be more specific too. Are you looking for peace and quiet or non stop night life? Ease of finding everything or willing to travel to get it?

The winters are wonderful on the coast but the summers are hell. Pappy apparently lives in the hills above Vallarta and doesn't need air conditioning. We lived right on the beach and suffered from the humidity. The air conditioner ran non stop from the middle of June until the end of October. It's not the heat that gets ya, it's the humidity! Had to buy a car with air conditioning so I could get the butter from Vallarta to San Pancho without dissolving into a puddle. Oh wait!... maybe that was me that was gonna dissolve into a puddle. Vacationing in that kind of climate is fine... doing the  every day chores of living is debilitating.... seeing your electric bill in the summer is a heart attack waiting to happen.  YMMV.

Remember Richard Burton and Liz Taylor escaping to PV when they were both married to someone else? (Yeah, if I remember that, I'm really old.)

5 minutes ago, JayBearII said:

Remember Richard Burton and Liz Taylor escaping to PV when they were both married to someone else? (Yeah, if I remember that, I'm really old.)

It wasn't just Burton and Taylor - there was all sorts of scandal in the cast at the time. The world media began to wonder if something was in the water in this unknown little town. We lived on Los Muertos beach in the place where all the news people had their press conferences. And - yes - we are pretty sure Liz Taylor used our toilet facilities. The property is now back in local hands, belonging to Alberto Perez who owns La Palapa right next door.

I don't agree that PV is expensive... Sure it is if you hang out within 5 blocks of the beach. If you live up in the hills around PV still only a 15 minute drive to downtown PV the COA is very reasonable, I found the rentals to be similar or even cheaper than Ajijic.. The big negative with PV is the humidity.

8 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

If you live up in the hills around PV still only a 15 minute drive to downtown PV

Yes, but there are no parking spots within 10 blocks from the beach or malecon. Except for expensive pay parking. Humidity is no problem if you plan for it. And those hills seem to grow every year if you walk up.

I live in the PV area, am here almost all of the summer and I have never had AC, just good fans. And no, I don't live on top of a mountain. Some of us can handle heat and humidity better than others. I get a little irritated when folks say you can't survive here in the summer without AC. I'm very much still alive and so are all the Mexicans who don't have AC (and no, they don't handle the heat much better than gringoes- they are always saying- "Its so hot!")

And speaking of Richard and Liz- it all looks so romantic in the movies, doesn't it? You never saw them in Night of the Iguana with sweat dripping down their faces and armpits and swatting mosquitoes :-) Or "Don't even think about touching me- it's way too hot and humid for that".

“Some of us can handle heat and humidity better than others.” There is the key to living on the coast in the summer. If you have lived in hot/humid weather for months at a time you know if can handle it or not. If you have not done so than you can only speculate until you have lived in it. 

I grew up on the beach in Southern California. I LOVE the beach, and miss it. As much as I would love to live near the ocean again, I did NOT move to Mexico to experience living day-to-day in shit weather six months out of the year. (That's what I left in Seattle, my last stop in the U.S. before moving to Mexico.)

So Mexico and I have a happy agreement. I visit the spectacular beaches of this beautiful country on my terms. When it's comfortable for me and I can enjoy it. It's easy!

Here's the weather reality as I experience it: Mid-May starts to get really hot, and June, before the rains kick in, can be pretty brutal. Once the rainy season really kicks in, there can actually be mornings when it is chilly enough that people put on jeans and a long-sleeve shirt. The weather wimps who clear out in April or May and don't come back til Oct. don't realize this. Heats up during the day, then it starts raining again and cools down. Then, after the rains stop, early-mid Oct, it's really hot and humid again until late Oct. So, about 2-3 months max of really hot and humid.

I normally have to pull out my down comforter by mid-Nov. and am sleeping under it til mid-April.

I read posts in the winter where people are saying they're freezing in Lakeside area and what are good heater options? Personally, I didn't move to Mexico to be cold. To each his own.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, ALPs said:

Recently moved to San Antonio Tlayacapan. I intend visiting Puerto Vallarta for a week either this month or in Feb. to get a feel for the place (real estate, lifestyle etc.) before deciding on where to settle.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback on PV or Nuevo PV, more so from folks like 'pappysmarket' who have either moved there from Ajijic or vice versa. Any suggestions on where to rent for a week are also most welcome. You can PM me if required.

Thanks

I suggest you visit from June to October and you will get a true feel of PV   HOTTTTT

Archived