Chapala.com Webboard

Good French Fries

babyface

All these comments on where to get great fries and not one person has stated how they like their fries? Short & fat, long and skinny, wedges, crisp all the way through or crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. Lots of variations. I'm laughing because, before eating our orders of fries, my hubby would always dig through both orders and pick out the crispy overdone (imho) ones and toss me the others. ;)

The biggest problem in most cooked orders of fries here is the inability to wait until the fat is the right temperature in the fryer. imho of course.

14 minutes ago, Ferret said:

All these comments on where to get great fries and not one person has stated how they like their fries? Short & fat, long and skinny, wedges, crisp all the way through or crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. Lots of variations. I'm laughing because, before eating our orders of fries, my hubby would always dig through both orders and pick out the crispy overdone (imho) ones and toss me the others. ;)

The biggest problem in most cooked orders of fries here is the inability to wait until the fat is the right temperature in the fryer. imho of course.

Excellent point, Ferret! At both Bruno’s and Toca Modera (my recommendations) the fries are wedges. They are golden crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, and perfectly salted. 

25 minutes ago, suegarn said:

I hate when you get great fries somewhere, but then they serve them with Del Monte ketchup.....yuck!  Gotta have Heinz!

Too funny! I prefer the Del Monte ketchup... but only with grilled cheese. I would never, ever sully great fries with ketchup. A little salt and real malt vinegar for me. :rolleyes::P

8 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

For wedges I like the Container.

It has been awhile since I have been there, but you are right. The Food Container also serves delicious wedge French fries. Also, their burgers and sandwiches are great.

Trip's, Mama's, Bruno's all are good. Skinny at Trip's, crinkle at Mama's and wedges at Bruno's. We bring a container of Heinz catsup to Mama's, but Heinz served at Trip's and Bruno's. 

A little burger and taco place on Ramon Corona, just west of the San Antonio Plaza and Mario's, serves skinny fries, like McDonalds and Trip's. Because they are skinny, the crisp fast and cook all the way through inside. Skinny fries are a fast-food chain staple. I can't find any history on them, but my suspicion is that Ray Crock created them for faster serviceable cooking. He was obsessed with getting McDonald's orders out as fast as possible.

Anyway, I headed there again on Saturday night. Total for a hamburger special with fries, including cheese and bacon, was 45p. Two of us ate: one had Oaxaca cheese instead of American slices, and both had a good-sized glass of agua fresca, for $112p. Match that anywhere around here, with a homemade patty and some really good fries.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

A little burger and taco place on Ramon Corona, just west of the San Antonio Plaza and Mario's, serves skinny fries, like McDonalds and Trip's. Because they are skinny, the crisp fast and cook all the way through inside. Skinny fries are a fast-food chain staple. I can't find any history on them, but my suspicion is that Ray Crock created them for faster serviceable cooking. He was obsessed with getting McDonald's orders out as fast as possible.

Anyway, I headed there again on Saturday night. Total for a hamburger special with fries, including cheese and bacon, was 45p. Two of us ate: one had Oaxaca cheese instead of American slices, and both had a good-sized glass of agua fresca, for $112p. Match that anywhere around here, with a homemade patty and some really good fries.

same side of the street as Mario's? Name of the place?

Archived